• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sway bar options: 1970 Charger

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
I am getting to the point where I'm ready to buy sway bars for Jigsaw.
Jiggy F 2A.JPG

I've looked at this car as maybe a bit of a milder build than my other car.
R T 29.jpg

Less spring rate, smaller torsion bars, smaller tires, smaller engine (383) and a smaller build cost.
I have also considered how I could buy new parts and install them on the red car and put the hand-me-downs into Jigsaw.
In some cases, I can't get clear specs on the sway bars that are offered.
I looked at the PST website and their site isn't very helpful.
The Hotchkis site lists a solid and a hollow bar but not the thicknesses or rate.
Helwig's site is pretty much the same.
Firm Feel lists their sizes and prices. They are also quite spendy!
I currently have a 1 1/4" front bar and a 3/4" rear bar in the red car. It corners quite well with this setup. I have 1.15 torsion bars and the rear springs have 6 sections. I don't know the rear rate.
Jigsaw currently has the smallest factory bar, .88s. The leafs have 5 sections. I am considering a 1.03 torsion bar.
What sizes and brands do you guys use?

I added Summit Racing brand sways (F- 1 1/8' Part # SUM_720230) (R- 3/4" Part # SUM-720231) and I am very happy with them. Front was $195 and the Rear was $199. Very acceptable on the street and held their own on a high speed road course. The last photo is at Thunderhill in Turn #1, speeds above 70mph. The brackets were great quality. The rear bar was axle mounted which isn't ideal for unsprung weight, but I'm not pushing my car to a level where that is a worry. For springs, I went with Hotchkis 1.10 TB's (PN 19367 @ $334) and Mopar Performance HD Leaf Springs ($135). The rear does have a lowering block in it.

The car is a little rough on bumpy city streets but not enough to want to soften it up. It is similar to my wife's 18' Scat Pack Challenger which I'm good with.

IMG_1260[1].JPG IMG_1266[1].JPG IMG_8297.jpg

One more thing to note.... The Summit Rear Sway has three positions to adjust to. I'm running the center holes and the car is very balanced.

IMG_1254[1].JPG IMG_1253[1].JPG IMG_1255[1].JPG

I added Summit Racing brand sways (F- 1 1/8' Part # SUM_720230) (R- 3/4" Part # SUM-720231) and I am very happy with them. Front was $195 and the Rear was $199.

Both of these parts list compatibility with 64-69 B-bodies. Will these work on a 1970 Charger?

I personally like a 1 1/8 sway arm and 1.03 T-Bar set up better. Hell wig on mine also. Have to pick a rear one out soon.

B177DF5D-A169-4386-AA9C-83BFF60FECBB.jpeg

Both of these parts list compatibility with 64-69 B-bodies. Will these work on a 1970 Charger?
70 is different, 69 & earlier the front sway bar was mounted forward of the K frame... Beginning with the 70 model year the front sway bar passes through the K frame...

I had a modified 1 1/4" solid bar in my car for years but swapped in a hollow QA-1 1 1/4" car in a few months back.

76 cbcbc.JPG
IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG
IMG_1357.JPG
IMG_1359.JPG

Last edited:
Would the rear sway bars be the same between '69 and '70?

Kern Dog, does that hardware come bent like that from QA-1?

I have the 1.03 T bars in my 68 Charger with the stock front sway bar. I added Firm Feel's rear bar simply because it was the only one I found that does not add un-sprung weight. I never cared for the looks of that bar mounted under the rear anyway. I think I paid $400.00 for the Firm Feel but well worth it IMO.
I love the way my car handles with the suspension combo I have along with the Bilstein shocks.

Rear bar is the same, Greg's hardware isn't bent... He's swapped out the ridgid connector links with a Moog link that has swivel ball sockets on each end...

The end links in those photos are modified MOOG parts that actually swivel like ball joints. They appear bent but they move with the arc of the control arm for precise control.

I am getting to the point where I'm ready to buy sway bars for Jigsaw.
View attachment 976350

I've looked at this car as maybe a bit of a milder build than my other car.
View attachment 976351

Less spring rate, smaller torsion bars, smaller tires, smaller engine (383) and a smaller build cost.
I have also considered how I could buy new parts and install them on the red car and put the hand-me-downs into Jigsaw.
In some cases, I can't get clear specs on the sway bars that are offered.
I looked at the PST website and their site isn't very helpful.
The Hotchkis site lists a solid and a hollow bar but not the thicknesses or rate.
Helwig's site is pretty much the same.
Firm Feel lists their sizes and prices. They are also quite spendy!
I currently have a 1 1/4" front bar and a 3/4" rear bar in the red car. It corners quite well with this setup. I have 1.15 torsion bars and the rear springs have 6 sections. I don't know the rear rate.
Jigsaw currently has the smallest factory bar, .88s. The leafs have 5 sections. I am considering a 1.03 torsion bar.
What sizes and brands do you guys use?
Hey,

What rims are those on the Jigsaw Charger? My 70 R/T is black and I like the look of blacked out wheels with a dish.

Those wheels were some 15 x 8 aluminum wheels made by Enkei sometime in the 90s.

XH 656.jpg

I just put them on the car because I had them. I didn't like them that much so I swapped on a set of steelies just to have something that I didn't love or hate.

Auto Transport Service
Back