• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tail lights 67 Belvedere

TheRealDavid

Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
Currently do not have tail lights. Advice on what I can check?

Issue started with thinking there was a dome light problem. Learned that the dome light, brake lights and tail lights are on the same fuse. The 20A fuse was blown and so was a tail light bulb. I replaced the fuse and the tail light bulb.
All turn signal lights are working front right, front left, rear right and rear left work. Dome light works.
Brake lights work, but do seem somewhat dim compared to when the turn signal is on.

I did mess with the brake light switch near the brake pedal and don't think that's the issue. I purchased a brake light switch and connected it and the brake lights seem just as dim with the new one installed.

I understand that it could be an issue with the turn signal switch from my research in this forum and the googling. I want to check as much as I can before I take that apart as it seems like a lengthy pain to do so. I've only seen on youtube on how to make this change with some newer models. I don't think the belvedere has that type of bulk connector under the steering column.

Thank you all, this forum is great!

Last edited:
Also based off of a few messages received issue could be the head light switch which might not be too hard to check if I can squeeze my hand back there. Screenshot below of a diagram from a digital service manual that I got from the mymopar site.

2023-04-03 (2).png

I ordered at O'Reilly's part 8-53-270, the headlight switch/dimmer. I'm replacing the headlight switch because it was previously giving me issues with dimming so hopefully that takes care of it.
As with most of these switches typically they get grimy and stop dimming the instrument lights properly, I did use the technique of pushing/pulling/turning to clean it and was sorta getting by that way.
Also I noticed my emergency lights are super dim in the back.
It will apparently suck that I have to pull the instrument cluster, it might be a pain in the 8====D if I also have to pull the steering column to make room for it, at which point I may just replace bulbs while I'm at it, sigh.

2023-04-03 (3).png

20230403_143801.jpg

Always check grounds for dim lights.

Welp I found the issue, the ground inside the right side tail light socket is toast. I dunno if there is a way to repair this, going to try this. Haven't found the socket for sale on its own, only have seen the whole harness or a used entire harness.

20230403_221239.jpg

Both tail lights have their own ground connections.
Brake lights are nice and bright after I replaced the right side socket.
But Nope still no taillights.
Funny thing is if I have both sockets out of their housing, the tail lights work. As soon as the socket touches the housing they turn off and a few times a couple of sparks have jumped out.... any idea what does this mean? The 20A fuse is still good.

Looks like multiple problems crept up at the same time or the short broke any weak links, is that a thing, I dunno.

Both tail lights have their own ground connections.
Brake lights are nice and bright after I replaced the right side socket.
But Nope still no taillights.
Funny thing is if I have both sockets out of their housing, the tail lights work. As soon as the socket touches the housing they turn off and a few times a couple of sparks have jumped out.... any idea what does this mean? The 20A fuse is still good.

Looks like multiple problems crept up at the same time or the short broke any weak links, is that a thing, I dunno.
That's not a ground inside.
Their are 2 filaments inside one for taillights and one for brake and turn signal. The outside is the ground.

Ohhhh I see, that was the last piece of the puzzle I was missing. There's no actual ground wire, ground goes directly through the socket itself. I also wired the socket backwards, flipped it and now everything works!!!! :drinks:

Thank you @bobsgtx and @Don Frelier and the one dude that sent me a private message!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back