• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking Fedex to Small Claims Court

That's why I am going to invest my time and risk the $20 small claims filing fee.

There must be too many of us who say forget it, $100 isn't worth our time, but what about my customer who is back to hunting for his WWII black out lights in good original paint? Fedex caused me to have to write an email that is not pleasant.

I think I get two subpoenas included in my $20 fee. I might subpoena the two Managers in town and waste their time as they do mine.

Fedex considers it my receipt when they scan it in and charge me. If I have to drive a bunch of miles to their counter to get a receipt to protect myself, why in the hell am I doing business with a business like that?

I have no proof that I dropped it off
There my friend is exactly your problem. No way in hell would I send items under those conditions.

Not my problem, UPS picks up there too and they scan at the station. It's Fedex's problem as I spend $5K plus on shipping every year. Yes, that's nothing to them, but if anybody Googles: Fedex small claims, one result will be this FBBO thread and others will choose another shipper for fear of Fedex.

Why doesn't the pack and ship give receipts?

I would not do business with any courier agent that did not.

Period.

You should have a record of your payment to them on the date you were there with the amount paid to take to court; charge card, debit card, cheque or till receipt from the counter person for any cash paid. This would prove that you shipped an item at that time as your claim would state. Jeff J

unless he paid cash.

Otherwise- brilliant.

I dropped it, as I have for years, at a Pac 'n Mail. The gals there are very conscientious. It's not the kind of place where it could grow legs, either. Fedex does not have a record as they no longer scan when they pick up at substations. Isn't that special?

That bit about not scanning at substations is ABSOLUTE BS.... I drop packages for FE and sometimes UPS at the local pick up points (drug stores and a FE walmart location) and EVERY ONE is scanned on drop off. They should, at least, have a handheld scanner to do it. I swear it's nothing but a smart phone with an app on it. I'll ask next time.

FedEx Ground is contracted out. I believe the others are in house still.

Just because you print a label doesn't put FE on the hook. You MUST get confirmation that the package was received by them or their agent.

Last edited:
I had an Air Grabber set up boxed, look like UPS used it for a wheel chock. Complete with a pair of wheels had run it over.

Claim initially denied - improper packaging... LMAO on that one.

They eventually paid for it but it took some time.

I'll be rooting for you.

Yeah - Retired Insurance Guy here. I agree with everyone that Suggests or asks about the receipt. I’m not going to beat a dead horse on that issue. I’m with you tho on trying to inconvenience them as much as possible and within reason for yourself. I despise big companies that treat a good long standing customer like **** and blow you off like a mosquito on a cow pie. I would do the same thing to them - only I think you need a much better draft to your court claim that is if you expect to win. No offense but it looks like you wrote it on the back of a napkin. I worked for very large insurers - like international. They often sent me to handle smaller arbitrated claims where they weren’t allowed to use one of their 100’s of lawyers in cases being brought in the region where I worked. I never lost a case on behalf of my company. You know why - because I was fully prepared and the other guy usually wasn’t so much.
If you expect to win spend some time on your allegations and provide detail. If you have two subpoenas just use one a local guy - and if you know them - try to pick the least capable of the two. For the other one - try to find someone that has to come in from out of town. Or use both for two reps that have to come from out of town and different places. That increases the chance of no shows. I just went thru something a little bit similar with Bank of America - where for them it was an infinitely small issue but to me it was huge in principle. I was told all along the way to go away and there was no recourse. As a 31 year customer I was also told “we don’t care if you’re one year or thirty years with us - we treat you all the same.” After taking 4 shots at them and getting pissed on each time - I finally wrote a very detailed letter to the Chairman of the Board and CEO of BOA with names and quotes from his people along with documentation. He could have blown me off too but he didn’t. In the end I didn’t prevail except from the standpoint that I know every one of the previous people had at least been called on the carpet to explain and respond for their actions. It wasn’t overly inconvenient for me but when the Chairman get’s involved you don’t want to be any one of those employees that was party to the issue. So I felt I more than got my monies worth. Now if you’re really that upset - figure out how to do something similar that fits your case.

CANPAR here has been very good. Stuff comes through, no damage, never lost.
Recently sent a parcel with Canada Post and USPS to the US. Tracking and guaranteed delivery, arrived at the destination a day early I think.

I have used FedEx and UPS a lot !! I will be limiting my usage of FedEx as of today. I ordered a product that used them for their shipping. Product supposed to arrive Wednesday. Got the update that it was on the truck "out for delivery"...never showed up. That night they had it listed as undeliverable. Thursday... same **** show as Wednesday. So last night since they were having such a difficult time making the delivery, I requested that they deliver it to a nearby Walgreens (8miles). This morning on the tracking history it showed as being on the truck "out for delivery" to the Walgreens. I expected an update text to my phone, nada, nothing. I run some errands and do some puttering around the house. I check the tracking at 2pm and it says it was delivered to Walgreens at 8:50 am. When I check it this morning was after 9:30am....hmmm.
Anyway, they could deliver it without a hitch 8 miles away, but I am only 1.5 miles from the distribution center. I usually get at least one package FedEx to my house every week. What I do get usually looks like they used it for a game of soccer. Asshats !

I get a receipt with tracking every single time I ship something, no matter the courier.

And photos of it with all paperwork attached. That's what phones are for !!

I used to ship many, many auto parts. Will NEVER use FedEx. Had a recent package delivered to me recently by FedEx, damaged of course.

Fed Ex has managed to deliver my packages to just about all my neighbors over the last 30 years. The 1st two #'s in all our addresses are 85-- and that seems to be as far as they will look and just drop it off at the 1st 85-- they notice. The latest was a set of ARP engine bolts that got delivered to my neighbor 2 doors down who was out of town for the weekend and he called me when they got home and said it was hanging from his entry gate that you can't see from the road. It had rained all weekend and they box was soaked but luckily ARP vacuum sealed the bolt kit so they were OK.

FedEx seem to lose a lot of stuff. A lot of it eventually turns up after a tour of most of the lower 48, but some never does.

Auto Transport Service
Back