• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking Up New Residence

Checked out your build thread from page 1 to now, well done! It's not only about you, it's about representing the car and giving the people who follow a plate full of very useful information. I have like your car from the day I got here, but now, I can see where it came from, again well done and Thanks!!

Hey, Hey-O thanks for the kind words. I noticed someone was blowing up my "alert" feature with a bunch of "likes"! Lol

I stated before that I wanted to do this thread to document what I found while working on this car as others have done on here with theirs. Sometimes a car is bought and its in boxes, or there might not be enough information in the factory service manual. It's been a learning experience for myself also and with the help from other members on here you can get things done. That's what makes this site so invaluable! :thumbsup:

Hey, Hey-O thanks for the kind words. I noticed someone was blowing up my "alert" feature with a bunch of "likes"! Lol

I stated before that I wanted to do this thread to document what I found while working on this car as others have done on here with theirs. Sometimes a car is bought and its in boxes, or there might not be enough information in the factory service manual. It's been a learning experience for myself also and with the help from other members on here you can get things done. That's what makes this site so invaluable! :thumbsup:
Exactly right on this site and your contribution, again thanks!

I have little to offer as far builds go now. In the past I did the same on a GM site and to this day it has almost 600 thousand views. I'm in a different place now in my life, but, my thoughts are still there. We blaze forward in sometimes uncharted territory that may be tough for the person out in front, but easier for those that follow, that's the beauty of a site like this. While having fun is one thing, knowing that this site with its many members could come together and they will and would, to build anything that I know for a fact, would be second to NONE is why I'm here. To be in the midst of that is truly an golden opportunity and an honor. It may sound stupid to some, but, my money's on all of you. All I have left is my loyalty and honesty, which may not be much and that will never change..... LET THE HORSES RUN.

I wasn't too keen on my fuel pump making 8 psi from the beginning. I wasn't having any rich conditions or flooding but the last oil change I could smell fuel in the oil. So here's my story on what I found for a fix.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/mechanical-fuel-pump-101.194336/

Thought I would check the Edelbrock 8130 fuel filter while I had things apart. It's rated at 40 microns for filtering and the filter is reusable, just clean it with carb cleaner and compressed air. It was clean for the exception of a aluminium sliver. More than likely from the fuel pump inlet/outlet threads.
20200523_143538.jpg

20200523_121229.jpg

20200523_121419.jpg

20200523_121502.jpg

A little bored today...

I had bought new gaskets for the front marker/turn signal lenses from Detroit Muscle Technologies but never installed them.
20200603_152043.jpg

Guess what? The factory glued them in!
20200603_201619.jpg

Used a non harding clear glue to stick them in place. Just use glue on the housing side.
20200603_200315.jpg

20200603_200558.jpg

These look like the original ones and are good enough for a driver. New ones are a bit pricey!
20200603_152447.jpg

20200603_200937.jpg

Just copied and pasted this from another thread that I started.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/idiot-light.195464/

Bought the Standard brand PS11 for a light. There is a PS11T which is the lower grade switch, looks just like the OEM. Something about the quality of the internals. The PS11 that I bought is rated at 3 to 9 psi activation pressure.
20200616_145059-jpg.jpg

The ports on the back of this 1967 440 are two different sizes. The factory location is 1/8" npt thread and the right side is 1/4" npt. The original 361 that came out of the car has both 1/8" npt.
20200616_150446-jpg.jpg

This video is doing a cold crank. It's been sitting for a couple of days. I'll crank the engine without touching the gas or using the choke until the light goes out. Helps with priming the oil and the carburetors.

I’ve always left the light hooked up, stands to reason that you’ll notice the light before you’d see the gauge drop to zero.
How did you run your braided oil line. Did you use an existing hole or cut another?

I’ve always left the light hooked up, stands to reason that you’ll notice the light before you’d see the gauge drop to zero.
How did you run your braided oil line. Did you use an existing hole or cut another?

There's a hole under the bulkhead connector that a vacuum line passes through for the heater controls. I'm not useing the heater at the moment so I just ran it through there.
20200617_210314.jpg

I haven't done one of these in awhile. It was time.
The pump bottle of cleaner is a pos. Pour the contents into a used windex spray bottle.
20200618_145637.jpg

20200618_181106.jpg

20200618_195729.jpg

20200618_210203.jpg

What a great write up! Thanks! It will help me immensely on my project. Like an encyclopedia of early B resto.

Any updates kid?

Not really :)

I haven't put the miles on her this year like previously. I do need to run out the rest of the fuel in the tank so I can top it up with ethanol free for the winter. Suppose to be mild weather mid week so I'll probably get some driving in then.

I'm wanting to go over the front end components and replace the torsion bars with larger ones. The 440 has a little more weight than the 361. I want to set the front up just a little and have it all aligned. Winter project.

Hope you get that chance! If you were closer I would dial in your alignment for you!

This is another piece that needed some attention.
Before
View attachment 539789

DuringView attachment 539772

After
View attachment 539773

Used a wheel on the bench grinder and black Rouge first, then green. Then used green again on a loose cloth wheel.
View attachment 539776
View attachment 539775

Any scratches and there were plenty, I just sanded them out with the appropriate grit and buffed the whole piece.
View attachment 539778

Nice job! Did the bumper have any pitting? I have a really nice front and rear bumper but has tiny pits. I'd love to get them out and use as is.

Back to the last piece of the headliner.
View attachment 540806

I knew I couldn't get by without finding one of these. It comes with the territory! They've been gone for many years.
View attachment 540807

Storing and organizing everything on top for now.
View attachment 540808

There are stainless steel straps that serve as a divider and the rail for the plastic trim to fasten to.
View attachment 540834
View attachment 540811
They are color coded also for location.
View attachment 540810

The jute looked reusable if it wasn't for the one pesky critter that had to tear a couple of pieces up.
View attachment 540814

There are notches on this side of the boards, 1, 2, 3, 4 for ID
View attachment 540828

A little sanding and some paint
View attachment 540845

I'm seeing more polishing in my future
View attachment 540816

From my limited experience, I'd say the polishing never ends.

Nice job! Did the bumper have any pitting? I have a really nice front and rear bumper but has tiny pits. I'd love to get them out and use as is.

It didn't have any pitting but it does have some small spider web cracks. Very hard to see. IIRC I tried the aluminium foil trick on it at first. Some people use Coca-Cola but I just used water. Just wad up a piece and go to town. You want to scrub the piece your working on first with soap and water and try to remove any loose rust so that doesn't get embedded in the aluminium foil and cause scratches. After that I used rubbing compound and finished up with a coat of wax. Chrome is very hard and you really can't polish it much at all.

It didn't have any pitting but it does have some small spider web cracks. Very hard to see. IIRC I tried the aluminium foil trick on it at first. Some people use Coca-Cola but I just used water. Just wad up a piece and go to town. You want to scrub the piece your working on first with soap and water and try to remove any loose rust so that doesn't get embedded in the aluminium foil and cause scratches. After that I used rubbing compound and finished up with a coat of wax. Chrome is very hard and you really can't polish it much at all.

Aluminum foil? Not familiar with that method. I've used it to wrap silver to prevent tarnishing and I use it for masking (car parts).

I haven't done one of these in awhile. It was time.
The pump bottle of cleaner is a pos. Pour the contents into a used windex spray bottle.
I just use a container big enough to submerge the filter, then fill it with hot water & Dawn dish soap. Works very well and cheap.

Auto Transport Service
Back