• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tapping Noise

Eggo

Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
Hi, i’ve recently replaced the inlet manifold gasket in my satellite as it was having power issues and thought this was why. it’s got loads more power now and is running happier but it’s making a tapping noise from the passenger side. I thought maybe it was the exhaust manifold gasket but i can’t see any exhaust leaking from there and really sounds like it’s coming from the rockers; especially number 2. Have checked the exhaust manifold bolts are tight which they were

It’s got oil in. Is it likely it could be the exhaust manifold still? not really sure where to start with it or how to tell what exactly it could be

Improve your hearing with a "mechanic's stethoscope". I've also used a long piece of hose held to my ear. To check for an exhaust leak, I often put my hands near the area but ONLY on a completely cold motor for about 60 seconds after it's started up. You can feel a puff, puff, puff from the leak. Once warmed up, toughing an exhaust manifold will give you a 3rd degree burn.
You might have something on cylinder 2 that's worn/loose. Pull the valve cover on that side, remove the center distributor cap wire (so it won't start), turn the engine over and watch the valve gear on cylinder #2, both intake and exhaust. You can also (with engine off) wiggle the rocker arms for cylinder #2. A worn/clogged lifter, worn/bent pushrod or a worn rocker arm can all make that noise.

While you are testing with that stethoscope, test the fuel pump. Mine would only do it at light throttle. Had a weak spring on the pump arm.

If it's a big block a worn fuel pump pushrod will make a ticking noise.

You can use a pvc pipe it picks up harmonics great. Start the engine and position it on top of the valve cover and work your way down the cover. If it indeed is something in the valve train you will hear it easily. Could just be a rocker out of adjustment depending on what's in it Hydraulic or solid cam? stock rockers? Adjustable rockers?

Improve your hearing with a "mechanic's stethoscope". I've also used a long piece of hose held to my ear. To check for an exhaust leak, I often put my hands near the area but ONLY on a completely cold motor for about 60 seconds after it's started up. You can feel a puff, puff, puff from the leak. Once warmed up, toughing an exhaust manifold will give you a 3rd degree burn.
You might have something on cylinder 2 that's worn/loose. Pull the valve cover on that side, remove the center distributor cap wire (so it won't start), turn the engine over and watch the valve gear on cylinder #2, both intake and exhaust. You can also (with engine off) wiggle the rocker arms for cylinder #2. A worn/clogged lifter, worn/bent pushrod or a worn rocker arm can all make that noise.
will have a go that’s a good idea about the stethoscope thank you! pulled the rocker cover before and all of the rockers seemed fine like weren’t wobbling and felt normal. will have a feel with the engine cold as well to see if there feels like there’s a leak.

If it's a big block a worn fuel pump pushrod will make a ticking noise.
it’s a small block and electric fuel pump but that’s interesting to know! why just on a big block would that happen?

You can use a pvc pipe it picks up harmonics great. Start the engine and position it on top of the valve cover and work your way down the cover. If it indeed is something in the valve train you will hear it easily. Could just be a rocker out of adjustment depending on what's in it Hydraulic or solid cam? stock rockers? Adjustable rockers?
i honestly have no idea as haven’t ever taken the engine apart, just bought it as a stock 318 with a 4bbl on. will look into how to tell the difference between them :)

it’s a small block and electric fuel pump but that’s interesting to know! why just on a big block would that happen?
Big block uses a rod while small block uses a cam eccentric.

Remove the rocker cover after warming up the engine. Put some gloves on. Feel each rocker, engine idling. If there is 'play' in the valvetrain, the sound will change.....

i checked for puff of air when starting the engine and thought i could feel one so swapped the gasket which deff can’t have been doing much as it looked like this! going to do an oil change and try starting again and hopefully the noise will have gone

IMG_8735.jpeg

Looks like you found your noise. :drinks:
When you do the oil change a new air filter element would be good also.
When they get real bad it cuts air flow and can cause a run rich condition.

Looks like you found your noise. :drinks:
When you do the oil change a new air filter element would be good also.
When they get real bad it cuts air flow and can cause a run rich condition.
fingers crossed that sorts it! will do, thank you :)

Auto Transport Service
Back