• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tapping Plates?

Islandkent

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
G'day guys and gals. I thought what the heck I think I know the answer but since I have all you for a reference, why not.
Tapping plates are what they are referred to in the parts book for the 1970 Charger/Coronet (yes it say T plate but for the other models is says tapping plate) and all the other models best I can tell. They are the little channel plates that go in the trunk cover hinges which the bolts screw into to adjust/attach the trunk lid. Most of you know what I'm talking about . Anyway I checked the books and it appears that it wouldn't matter which way they went in as long as the smooth/solid side in on the bolt side of the hinge. Correct? Since they are identical pieces you would have to flip one one way and the other one the other way of course. Or one upside down and the other right side up. Referring to the pictures in the parts book. No mention of them in the FSM. Anyway not very important I think and many might have come from the factory any way.
But I was just wondering it there was a correct way?? Here's a picture of the tapping plates and they way they appear in the parts book. Just sitting home here on my day off wondering, before I do put the trunk cover back on when my man is done buffing it out. Thanks

zz tapping plate 2.JPG

zz tapping plate.JPG

The little 90* tab on the plate hooks on the edge of the hole to keep them in position for cap screw installation.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back