• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TDC and +\- number of degrees

Notaclue

Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
Hello again all, question about the number of degrees I should have my 318 stroker set at. Currently it's at 0 however I'm wondering if it should be above or below that mark. Thanks in advance.

i assume you are talking about timming? if so and you have some cam in it 15 degrees btdc at idle with 35 or so total would be a good starting point with the vacuum advance disconected after that you can hook it up and set it to where it is happy usually 45-55 degrees it depends on how much compression you have and cam and a couple of other factors

Yes I am talking about timing, sorry. And where I have it set at zero on the timing cover (I've forgotten how change the damn timing for the moment, let alone get the numbers to where you have suggested lol) could that cause stalling at start up? And only let it idle for a moment or two? I'll have to dig up the specs on the cam but I do remember it being a big mutha thumper cam.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah crap, am I going to have to remove the timing cover to move the chain? Or do I only have to pull the distributor?

I had a stroker 318 that liked 22°@ idol (1500) with 292 duration cam straight up. I agree 15° is a good place to start you will need to adjust the advance curve special to that combination

Apparently I'm going to need a refresher on setting the timing all. I just woke up and nothing is making the amount of sense it should be, and it's been a LONG time since I messed with the timing. Please help! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope I'm not told I have to take of the timing cover because I don't have a impact wrench or the money to get a new gasket:-/

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope I'm not told I have to take of the timing cover because I don't have a impact wrench or the money to get a new gasket:-/

The timing is set at distributor. It sounds like you need some one to work on the car for you. You either need to be studying up or saving up. What part of Florida are you in?

I set initial timing, and built the engine. Just very tired at the moment and need a refresher. That's why I posted here...to "study up".

I set initial timing, and built the engine. Just very tired at the moment and need a refresher. That's why I posted here...to "study up".

I'm in FT Lauderdale if your close I can come over and help you out 954 892 0188

Thank you very much! I'm in jacksonville unfortunately but if you want to make the drive ill but you a beer lol! However, if the offer is good I'd definitely like to call you and pick your brain.

If you did all that, you are perfectly able to adjust the timing. You do that by loosening the distributor hold down bolt and turning the distributor slightly one way or the other until the timing mark on the balancer advances to where you want it, in this case about 14-16* BTDC, with the vacuum advance hose disconnected and plugged. Tighten down the bolt, hook the hose up and take the car out for a test. If it runs good and doesn't 'ping' you're good to go until you get some help with 'total' timing. If it wants to crank slow when hot, slightly back off the advance until it doesn't.

just to be sure you do have a timming light right? I am just not sure how much knowledge you have here. if you have been running that cam and it won't stay running have you broken in the cam? it is very important to do so. and last question is your distributer a stock one or is it a mopar performance or aftermarket one? they will all have different advance curves in them and you will need a fairly aggressive one with a big mutha thumper those cams are made to idle rough or with a lope so you will need a fair amount of initial timming to get it to run clean at idle but you will still have to respect about a 35 degree total without vac advance.

The combination of the engine, fuel used and even weather conditions dictate timing. The biggest dictator is the static compression of the engine and the higher it is, the less total timing you generally need. I read where many say 35-36 total is all you need but if your engine is only producing 8-1 compression and low cylinder pressure numbers, it may not even run decent with 40 total. One important thing to know is how much cranking PSI the engine is making and then go from there. If you have low compression pistons and a lumpy cam that's bleeding off cylinder pressure at low RPM, that's not a very good combination and it's going to like a lot of timing dialed in. I've had the displeasure of tuning two engines that were like this and ended up 50 total on both of them. The first time I ran across this I didn't believe my timing light and got another known good light to double check. Even double checked the balancer to make sure it was on the money along with true TDC. It can be time consuming when you get an engine that throws you a curve but that's what it takes if you want it to run good.

Auto Transport Service
Back