• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teens Love Old Rock Band T-Shirts. Just Don’t Ask Them to Name a Song

Aside from the music being better than just about anything today, part of the allure of converting it into clothing may be the artwork.
The first Genesis albums.
Captain Beyond.
Early Roxy . They had to cover this one.
1673104899942.png

I had this on a T shirt.
Back when you had to go to a store to get it made.
1673105020598.png

Last edited:
Other than working all the hours I could get at my part time job, mostly to support my car, going to concerts was my biggest thrill in high school into college.
I’d always buy a T shirt at a concert to wear around so everyone would think I was cool for having gone to the show.
Despite my black rock concert T shirts and jacked up Challenger, no one in my high school thought that long haired beanpole with glasses cool sadly.
But I still have the car, and the T shirts!
I doubt they still fit, and I’ve heard they are worth money to collectors. But with eBay a farce now, they are like a lot of the clutter I have, worth money but I have no good ideas on how to sell them.
Some bands I saw then are still around and I’ve seen a few shows in recent times.
I sort of thought it a bit odd seeing the crowd at a Nugent show last summer, 60ish like me, wearing black concert T shirts. It was a lot cooler style when we were teenagers!

Your youth and present day sounds like mine. Back in the late seventies and early eighties I lived in the Arctic. Still do. The nearest city big enough for concerts was over seven hundred miles away, so going to shows involved taking a Greyhound bus and tied up three days. Missed a lot of work but got to see Van Halen tour for their first album, before they became a pop band. Ted Nugent when he was freakin’ wild, and not just crazy. Bowie. Stones. Blue Oyster Cult. Stevie Ray Vaughan. More then forty others. I still go to shows when I can. Metallica and Maiden. Wife isn’t into it but daughter and I go. The real problem is that there are fewer good shows to go to. Any good show now is one of the old bands from back in the day as modern music really isn’t about music or talent, really. We did like Avenged Sevenfold, though.
It’s a shame that future generations won’t get the opportunity to see a young, hungry, twenty year old Eddy Van Halen crank out great hard rock. Or see Heart with Ted Nugent play “Rock and Roll” by Led Zeppelin for probably twenty minutes, passing solos back and forth. Or ZZ Top play Lagrange. I was lucky enough to, and I cherish that.
I wish I had taken better care of the shirts, most are gone now. But it seemed like those days would never end. I outgrew my original Bowie shirt, daughter still wears it from time to time. I take better care of my Priest, Maiden, and Metallica shirts now but sure wish I still had my original Blue Oyster Cult shirt.

Aside from the music being better than just about anything today, part of the allure of converting it into clothing may be the artwork.
The first Genesis albums.
Captain Beyond.
Early Roxy . They had to cover this one.
View attachment 1398258
I had this on a T shirt.
Back when you had to go to a store to get it made.
View attachment 1398259

All the Eagles albums featured cool artwork

You gotta raise 'em right. Our five year old granddaughter knows the Beatles, likes the Beatles, and can name several Beatles songs. She has several kid-friendly Beatles songs on her playlist: Octopus' Garden, Yellow Submarine, Fixing a Hole, When I'm 64, Your Mother Should know, etc. She's not quite ready yet for Helter Skelter, Yer Blues.

I bought a "Back to the Future" tee shirt a few years ago.....but I still have another 18 months before it appears in my wardrobe.
By then it probably won't fit me. :p

I used to wear my Springsteen "Born in the USA" shirt a lot....so much that it wore out. That was a few years ago now.

Auto Transport Service
Back