• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tf 727

Bigal75

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
So I swapped out my stock-ish 440 for a 725hp HEMI and a 3800 stall...my transmission had been rebuilt maybe 5000 miles ago and I figured that as long as I don't get traction I should be ok for while...anyway I guess I must have nicked the pump seal when I put my torque converter in because I've noticed a pretty decent leak coming from the converter area.

I've decided to swap out the transmission for a built 727 however I was wondering if anyone has recommendations? I know I want a manual valve body but do I need a steel drum upgrade?

Last edited:
Billet drum upgrade is for safety, your choice. Personally I've run stock drums for years , never an issue. Would recommend at least a 4 clutch drum, good valve body, 3.8- 4.2 lever, 15 springs in the front drum, inner and outer springs in the front servo. Believe it or not this combo when driven properly will go a long time at 750HP. My 64 currently runs close to 900 HP on the stock, original low roller clutch, stock input and output shafts, and a old Turbo Action reverse manual non LBA valve body. With this combo it does run a A&A billet drum. Car runs 9.20s best 1.29/[email protected]
Doug

I build my own transmissions and basically I agree with DVW. The 727 in my 63 is very stock as I do still use the stock front drum but for safety reasons plan to update it but it is a street car I only race about once a year. I did put a bolt in overrunning clutch and run a TA reverse manual valve body. I use a 9.5 Luppo Dynamic street/strip converter. I also use stock Mopar clutches which work fine as I have a few of them around since I worked at a Dodge dealer for many years overhauling tranny's along with the other work I did. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back