• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"That gasoline smell, it smells like, victory"

Dajkzo

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
I was at the local airport getting some 100 octane LL avgas. Is it just me, or does everyone like the smell the traditional leaded, ethanol free, gasoline?

Piston powered aircraft exhaust smells good & there's more to the formula besides no ethanol.

I agree the smell of gasoline is nice but....Benzene in petroleum is a known carcinogen. This is especially true for blood cancers. Always avoid contact whenever possible.

The higher the octane the sweeter the smell!

I still remember Texaco Firechief and Sunoco high tests from back in the day.

The higher the octane the sweeter the smell!

I still remember Texaco Firechief and Sunoco high tests from back in the day.
Union 76 too, had some 98, 101 oct. at one time, even in my era
'Put a Tiger in your tank' advert.'s

back in the lead days,
where you could still get 'leaded hi-octane gas',
along side the Unleaded swill

I agree the smell of gasoline is nice but....Benzene in petroleum is a known carcinogen. This is especially true for blood cancers. Always avoid contact whenever possible.

image.jpg

:D

Yeah... But I also used to think cig smoke smelled nice. Back when I was a smoker....
Still like the gas smell. LOL

Anytime I show up at a cruise in, or car show, everyone always comments that I'm running the good stuff. I don't drink it or bathe in it. If the smell will kill you there will be a lot of dead folks as everyone comes around to get a smell.

It is fuzzy that far back, but I remember something called white gas and I think it was 110 octane. I could be wrong, but I don't think so!!!

It is fuzzy that far back, but I remember something called white gas and I think it was 110 octane. I could be wrong, but I don't think so!!!

White gas was Amoco super premium. I cant remember what the octane was. It was also unleaded

White gas was Amoco super premium. I cant remember what the octane was. It was also unleaded
I ran Amoco Super Premium in the day. The person that ran the station that I used was one of my better friends. He told me that it was 105 octane, but I never saw a sign indicating that. The best I remember the pump was labeled 100+. There was a drug store owner that was also a good friend. He has a 57 Chevy 2 door wagon that was race only. Every Saturday evening before he loaded his car to go to the track he would get 10 gallons of Amoco white and add 2 gallons of menthol alcohol which he ordered thru his store. I caught on to this and had him order me some. That combo was good for 2-3 tenths alone.

Hmmm..... I have survived cancer (multiple myeloma), renal failure and of course I think about all the stuff I've been exposed to in 6 decades. However the timing coincided with my last return from the middle east(the whole place is filthy and stinks so you breath through your mouth).
I started using exam gloves almost 30 years ago (and not just on first dates) and always a respirator.
And as much as I like that avgas smell (along with styrene) I make it a point not to wear it like cologne. LOL

The good news is 1) my body responded incredibly well to the chemo 2) I bought a 1970 RR clone
3) I decided to go back to work as an engineer

I start next week. :)

PS: I bet it was getting my mouth washed out with that brown soap is what did it.....

Last edited:
Hmmm..... I have survived cancer (multiple myeloma), renal failure and of course I think about all the stuff I've been exposed to in 6 decades. However the timing coincided with my last return from the middle east(the whole place is filthy and stinks so you breath through your mouth).
I started using exam gloves almost 30 years ago (and not just on first dates) and always a respirator.
And as much as I like that avgas smell (along with styrene) I make it a point not to wear it like cologne. LOL

The good news is 1) my body responded incredibly well to the chemo 2) I bought a 1970 RR clone
3) I decided to go back to work as an engineer

I start next week. :)

PS: I bet it was getting my mouth washed out with that brown soap is what did it.....

Glad to have ya here with us still man! Good luck and keep it up brother!

A few years back when I was trying different things to stop the detonation in my car, I bought a 5 gallon drum of 110 leaded Sunoco. I put about 3 gallons in the car. Once that ran out I installed an Air/Fuel gauge with an oxygen sensor. I couldn't run that race gas in the car so I used it up in my lawn mower. Mowing the lawn smelled like I travelled back into the 70s......Mowing the family lawn with leaded gas in the mower.

Sunoco Blue 260. Between that and all the asbestos that got routinely blown out of brakes, I should be dead. Harmful stuff should be avoided, but I think the fear is OVERRATED.

I run Sunoco in my 4 wheeler and 2 stroke dirt bike smells awesome with Klotz 2 cycle oil!

Sunoco had a leaded Cam 2 racing fuel back in the day. I'm thinking it was at least 110 octane, maybe more. It was expensive even back then. Now their additive is called Cam 2.

Auto Transport Service
Back