• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Elephant In The Room: unloading the load from a B-body.

Heard through the grape vine from another Mopar site that ThumperDart got his '70 Dart down to 2870 lbs WITH HIM IN THE SEAT.
You A-body guys have it easy. LOL.
I'm still lingering in the high 2900 Lbs WITHOUT MY SKINNY SELF IN THE SEAT. I guess I can't complain though being that I'm wearing an all metal jacket.
I kinda expected to see Thumper (Dom) at the Kingman street races, but I didn't see him Friday and I didn't go today. The last Kingman race I went to was pre covid, and Dom was running a tunnel ram that I had not seen on his car before.
(Us guys with little furrin cars with V8s have it even easier than the A-body guys. Mine was under 2500, with my 180 in the seat.)

I kind of ran out of time and things to do when I relaxed my intros onto the thread. There's been more left on the table than some would think, but a few factors come into play such as availability of parts and good craftsmanship/welding, time and sometimes $$ along with testing and tuning.
I know the car is now the lightest it has ever been, but time and no tracks left in the region put a damper on things. Sheeeeeiit, even good reliable weigh stations are gone off the map.

Perhaps I'll open a FMJ's super car health spa someday. LOL. Cut the fat and the ET's all at once.

Well, I'm happy to report that since January I've lost a few pounds myself. Weighing 200lbs was an anomaly for me. I could feel it. I'm hovering between 193-195 right now. I'd like to get down to 185 but going to awesome Italian restaurants that only serve rich food is not the way to get there.

In any event, I'm not sure where my car is at weight-wise. My gut tells me it will be under 3,000lbs without me. I haven't shortened or drilled out any bolts and I still have all the OE glass but otherwise it's pretty bare bones.

I'd like to find an acceptable looking steering column for it. I've looked around a bunch for one but from what I can tell there's basically two choices - generic, street rod tilt types or total race car pieces. I want something in between but it may not exist so I'm probably stuck with the stocker.

I've contemplated electric window motors but the wiring and price prevented me from doing it. The motors are several hundred bucks each, hard to justify that cost. I may end up going the strap route at some point but I'd have to figure out how to make that work for a street application. I like the windows part way open sometimes, what can I say. Plus, I'm nearly finished wiring my car and once it's done, I ain't going back into it to add more stuff. My guess is that one could save at least 25+lbs a side with Lexan windows and electric window motors.

Regardless, the latest version of my 416" should make better power than the previous iteration of it so saving every last ounce might not as critical anymore with my goal of going mid-10s.

Well, I'm happy to report that since January I've lost a few pounds myself. Weighing 200lbs was an anomaly for me. I could feel it. I'm hovering between 193-195 right now. I'd like to get down to 185 but going to awesome Italian restaurants that only serve rich food is not the way to get there.

In any event, I'm not sure where my car is at weight-wise. My gut tells me it will be under 3,000lbs without me. I haven't shortened or drilled out any bolts and I still have all the OE glass but otherwise it's pretty bare bones.

I'd like to find an acceptable looking steering column for it. I've looked around a bunch for one but from what I can tell there's basically two choices - generic, street rod tilt types or total race car pieces. I want something in between but it may not exist so I'm probably stuck with the stocker.

I've contemplated electric window motors but the wiring and price prevented me from doing it. The motors are several hundred bucks each, hard to justify that cost. I may end up going the strap route at some point but I'd have to figure out how to make that work for a street application. I like the windows part way open sometimes, what can I say. Plus, I'm nearly finished wiring my car and once it's done, I ain't going back into it to add more stuff. My guess is that one could save at least 25+lbs a side with Lexan windows and electric window motors.

Regardless, the latest version of my 416" should make better power than the previous iteration of it so saving every last ounce might not as critical anymore with my goal of going mid-10s.
Man, I hit 235 some years back and lately been around 183 or so and was 181 this morning. Now if I can keep it there. Sure feel a lot better too. And like FMJ said, no more 1/4 tracks around here anymore dang it and I hate 1/8 mile. Besides, haven't even touched my car in the last 6 months. Just been way too busy on other stuff.

There's still a few tracks around here within reasonable driving distances. It was pretty demoralizing when two of the longest running and well-known tracks in our area closed abruptly (ETown and Atco) but there's still Island Dragway and Lebanon Valley. Both still going strong and are actually good tracks in their own right. A bit farther from our general NY/NJ/CT area are New England Dragway, Maple Grove, MIR etc.

I wont give up on my goal of getting my car down the track, I've worked too hard and too long to just let it go to logistics.

And just because my combo should make decent power now I'm not giving up on saving weight completely either.
IMG_4541 copy.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

IMG_4542 copy.jpg

There's still a few tracks around here within reasonable driving distances. It was pretty demoralizing when two of the longest running and well-known tracks in our area closed abruptly (ETown and Atco) but there's still Island Dragway and Lebanon Valley. Both still going strong and are actually good tracks in their own right. A bit farther from our general NY/NJ/CT area are New England Dragway, Maple Grove, MIR etc.

I wont give up on my goal of getting my car down the track, I've worked too hard and too long to just let it go to logistics.

And just because my combo should make decent power now I'm not giving up on saving weight completely either.
View attachment 1665360
View attachment 1665362
View attachment 1665363
I used to be able to drive out to E-town and Atco and back home, but Maple and the Valley are a little too far for my nerves. Though I did drive out to Island one time and ran roundy rounds against my Boyz 86' Malibu and drove home thereafter. Young and stupid I guess.

Driving my Duster to ETown for a T'n'T day back in the fall of 2014 which is the last time I raced it. It went 12.20 @ 110 letting off in the first round of eliminations. I think I lost in the next round on a double breakout. The water pump blew on the way home and had to get towed back to Long Island from my frind's house in Matawan, NJ the next morning. Thankfully I had AAA Plus which is 100 mi. free or whatever it was but I still had to pay truck tolls going both ways.

I remember taking these pics specifically to document the fact I was driving to the track. At the time I lived in Suffolk County which is the eastern half of Long Island. Without traffic, it was generally a 35-40 min. ride into this part of Brooklyn where the pic was taken. From Brooklyn, Englishtown was another 45 min. to an hour. To get to NJ, you have to go through Staten Island which is it's own special kind of nightmare.
IMG_1027.JPG

Even early on a weekend morning traffic on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway was at a standstill.
IMG_1033.JPG

This is the Staten Island Expressway just off the Verrazzano bridge heading west. This is normal.
IMG_1035.JPG

I was just one of many that did this over the decades. ETown was relatively easy to get to from the city and the surrounding areas which is part of what made it such a great track. You'd have guys from all over the area there including PA and even as far as Mass. for the bigger events. Atco was another 45. min to an hour since it was almost down by Trenton, NJ. I loved that track too.

It really sucks that these places are gone, they were literally NY area institutions. I don't think anyone could have forseen a day when both tracks would be permanently closed.

Last edited:
Driving my Duster to ETown for a T'n'T day back in the fall of 2014 which is the last time I raced it. It went 12.20 @ 110 letting off in the first round of eliminations. I think I lost in the next round on a double breakout. The water pump blew on the way home and had to get towed back to Long Island from my frind's house in Matawan, NJ the next morning. Thankfully I had AAA Plus which is 100 mi. free or whatever it was but I still had to pay truck tolls going both ways.

I remember taking these pics specifically to document the fact I was driving to the track. At the time I lived in Suffolk County which is the eastern half of Long Island. Without traffic, it was generally a 35-40 min. ride into this part of Brooklyn where the pic was taken. From Brooklyn, Englishtown was another 45 min. to an hour. To get to NJ, you have to go through Staten Island which is it's own special kind of nightmare.
View attachment 1665812

Even early on a weekend morning traffic on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway was at a standstill.
View attachment 1665813

This is the Staten Island Expressway just off the Verrazzano bridge heading west. This is normal.
View attachment 1665815

I was just one of many that did this over the decades. ETown was relatively easy to get to from the city and the surrounding areas which is part of what made it such a great track. You'd have guys from all over the area there including PA and even as far as Mass. for the bigger events. Atco was another 45. min to an hour since it was almost down by Trenton, NJ. I loved that track too.

It really sucks that these places are gone, they were literally NY area institutions. I don't think anyone could have forseen a day when both tracks would be permanently closed.
Those two iconic tracks closed and now your old county is dealing with a surge in street racing, the likes not seen in a long time.
Long Island and south Brooklyn could easily fill in the void of such a racing facility and make $$$ while they're at it.

BTW, this thread is exactly one year old today, 5.20. 50 pages in let's hope we can keep it going for the foreseeable future.

BTW, this thread is exactly one year old today, 5.20. 50 pages in let's hope we can keep it going for the foreseeable future.
Ok then, I'm going to breakout some ideas on how I lightened my minibike. LOL.

All kidding' aside, an all aluminum Keith Black block would probably be my biggest weight cut, but I'd rather get a very rare 10/15 AFX stainless K member or a 2% aluminum dashboard instead. A solid, non porous thick cylinder walled iron block would probably make more power anyway.

All kidding' aside, an all aluminum Keith Black block would probably be my biggest weight cut, but I'd rather get a very rare 10/15 AFX stainless K member or a 2% aluminum dashboard instead. A solid, non porous thick cylinder walled iron block would probably make more power anyway.
Not for nothing, everyones input on here has been more than inspirational.
Amongst the many that have contributed - Cranky, Gooser and others, there are some unique players here that are moving the needle in the right direction such as Malex and Stage 3.

I'd like to see what becomes of Badvert's '65 Bel.

It sounds like Fourgearsavoy is loading up to release that clutch with a few less pounds onboard.

DVW is well on his way to another great year no matter what weight he comes in at. Lucky devil.

You Rmchgr, are well on your way to having a potent light A-body not to mess with.

.........But the one guy that intrigues me like no other is Mopar John here with his "Bitter Limed" full bodied '70 GTX. This guy is on a whole other level of patience at weight loss.

Keep it going fellas.

I'd not be surprised if this forum slows down during the summer months anyway because SOME OF US live near tracks and are actively racing, but Winter is project and weight loss time.

Last edited:

I just saw a stainless K memberbefore PRI. I was handed a titanium K member once. He held it out to me with one hand.
Doug

Those two iconic tracks closed and now your old county is dealing with a surge in street racing, the likes not seen in a long time.
Long Island and south Brooklyn could easily fill in the void of such a racing facility and make $$$ while they're at it.
Long Island does have 1/8 mile racing at Calverton, I know it is not a prepped track but last season people were getting down pretty good. I am new to the Mopar family and just missed meeting you at the Suffolk county show this weekend. Maybe we can get a Mopar day out at Claverton this season, they are very open to ideas.

Long Island does have 1/8 mile racing at Calverton, I know it is not a prepped track but last season people were getting down pretty good. I am new to the Mopar family and just missed meeting you at the Suffolk county show this weekend. Maybe we can get a Mopar day out at Claverton this season, they are very open to ideas.
JR. Nice to meet over the airwaves. Hopefully I can get out there again before the hot season settles in.
From what I've heard, Calverton is a limited registry run race. I wouldn't mind 1/8 tracks, but my car really starts to put on the steam upstairs because of the gearing and such.
I've also been waiting on word about a supposed legal Street event within the five boroughs here in NYC, but I held off registering because it seems a little suspicious that the grounds/streets were not confirmed or inspected. I could be wrong, but the streets have to be really prepped and inspected to keep certain cars from getting drunk. My car doesn't like irregularities.

Thought id throw this in here. Apparently you can separate most 3 and 4 groove mopar pulleys and run just a single groove for all us “no power steering” guys. If you look closely at these style crank pulleys they have 4 spot welds. Drill them out and separate the pulleys. Worth the work, stock pulley started at 4.1 lbs and single modified version ended at 1.9 lbs. This is on a 440 that I shift at 6200rpms, I did not notice any weirdness “aka vibrations” after this.

IMG_3977.jpeg

IMG_3981.jpeg

IMG_3978.jpeg

IMG_3979.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back