• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The End of Manual Transmission

I realize it is certainly a system that is on the way out as far as desireability - not many are buying them any more for a variety of reasons. As mentioned a million times already many cannot even drive one these days.

But I do have a question for those that maybe work on these regularly - are the new automatics more reliable even in "normal" towing operations? (not speaking of extreme, heavy duty towing - but towing boats, small trailers, car trailers etc)

Another thing that I always liked about a manual transmission is the clutch. Again driving a truck in wet or slippery conditions, it’s nice to be able to control downshifts. I guess new **** has a computer override... to do it for you.

Anyone remember drag racing 3 on trees and slamming them like Hurst shifters?
Wish I still had one...

Many vehicles/mfgrs don't even have that option/offered
to buy a manual trans

I love my '69 Dodge D300 cab & chassis with a 9' flatbed on it. It has a 318, 4-speed, heater, power brakes, Dana 70 w/4.10 gears. Oh, and the working factory AM radio! I get thumbs-up all the time in that. Want to be anonymous? Not in this truck!

D300-1.jpg

I have both & to be honest the stock truck f350 4x4 dually diesel
with a 6 speed manual is a PITA in traffic
or backing up a 5th wheel trailer in a tight spot,
especially backing up hill or down hill etc.
'you need 3 legs'
thank god I live 100 miles away from any freeway/commute

One of the things I love about my old 84 W350 Cummins crewcab is with the old NP205 transfer case behind the NV4500 I can just drop it into 4Lo, without locking in the hubs, and I get that gear reduction from the TC added to my granny low 1st gear and it's great for backing up or moving a heavy load/trailer slowly. One day I will twin stick the TC but as is it still works great.

I realize it is certainly a system that is on the way out as far as desireability - not many are buying them any more for a variety of reasons. As mentioned a million times already many cannot even drive one these days.

But I do have a question for those that maybe work on these regularly - are the new automatics more reliable even in "normal" towing operations? (not speaking of extreme, heavy duty towing - but towing boats, small trailers, car trailers etc)
I'm a big manual trans fan. I had one in my hot rod growing up (born 1971) and have had at least one manual trans Honda at all times (currently 2019 Civic Si). Enthusiast cars are still offered in manual as are the new Ford Bronco's, the new Acura Integra and the Toyota GR86/Subaru BRZ. Unfortunately, it seems many car makers are slowly phasing them out.

Some auto trans cars are historically reliable, but when they started putting in automatic CVT transmissions (continuously variable), reliability has taken a huge nose-dive. Some automakers are hold-outs offering conventional torque converter auto transmissions (Lexus, BMW, Mazda), but most are going the way of the CVT. I can't stand the way CVT"s feel to drive and they are notorious for not lasting as long (some failing at 30K miles, many failing well under 100k miles).

Bottom line is that whether you like them or not, manual transmissions are the most reliable transmissions made and I wish they would stick around in some kind of offering. I better hold onto the one I have in case in 10 years we don't see them anymore.

The main thing that really upsets me about the impending EV revolution is the lack of a manual transmission. I absolutely hate CVT, and a Tesla as much as I appreciate the tech and American made, it's about as much fun as driving a toaster. I like the 727 with a shift kit but that's the only automatic I enjoy driving. Everything else, has to be manual.

The combination of the T56 6 speed in the '97 LT1 Camaro SS and the Louth Mouth SLP exhaust is a wonderful combination. It's not the fastest car out there anymore but it sure is fun. We have a 4-speed with a 408 in The Challenger and it's a bit of a challenge. Pun intended.

Go find a 93 to 97 Z28 6 speed for cheap.

I swap my own cogs in my 2012 challenger. One of the reasons I bought it was so I could. I am also a member of the manual gearbox preservation society

20220810_200542.jpg

First off, a proper source credit for the OP's article:
The End of Manual Transmission

Secondly - I've stated it before and I stand by it now:
Even at my rapidly deteriorating state of health, a HUGE part of my being in this hobby, with THESE cars,
is a 4 speed. I wouldn't have bought Fred to start the project with had he not had one...

I tried out a 5.7 6 speed Challenger, couldn’t shift it at all because I’m real hard of hearing and I couldn’t hear the engine revving, and dang if I’m gonna look at the tach all the time. The 07 GT 500 had loud exhaust and that worked but the clutch took a gorilla to push it in. So now it’s the 15 SRT AUTO Challenger in the shed. But the 66 Belvedere has a 4 speed-Hemi, I think I’ll like that as a driver.

I tried out a 5.7 6 speed Challenger, couldn’t shift it at all because I’m real hard of hearing and I couldn’t hear the engine revving, and dang if I’m gonna look at the tach all the time. The 07 GT 500 had loud exhaust and that worked but the clutch took a gorilla to push it in. So now it’s the 15 SRT AUTO Challenger in the shed. But the 66 Belvedere has a 4 speed-Hemi, I think I’ll like that as a driver.
I believe Ford has a pipe, or something, that puts exhaust sound into the cabin.

So going by the already +20% tack on end value for the stick according to Hagerty, that should mean we can look forward to doubling that number to 40%? lol
Less means rare and rare means $$$ after all
P.S. not all millenials are pussies btw..some of us still believe muscle cars should be manuals and these new tesla trends, or anything trendy for that matter, annoy the **** out of me
I believe every Tesla owner goes to Starbucks at least twice a day and orders extra soy in their lattes.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 22-22-46 1968 Dodge Coronet 440 Values Hagerty Valuation Tool®.png

So going by the already +20% tack on end value for the stick according to Hagerty, that should mean we can look forward to doubling that number to 40%? lol
Less means rare and rare means $$$ after all
P.S. not all millenials are pussies btw..some of us still believe muscle cars should be manuals and these new tesla trends, or anything trendy for that matter, annoy the **** out of me
I believe every Tesla owner goes to Starbucks at least twice a day and orders extra soy in their lattes.

View attachment 1326885
As another member of the sad millennial generation, I strongly agree! Together we can change the stereotype, not all of us suck!
:lol:

As another member of the sad millennial generation, I strongly agree! Together we can change the stereotype, not all of us suck!
:lol:
I think there's more of us out there than people realize though, just those who tend to be the loudest with the biggest mouths are who gets heard and amplified by the mainstream and then there's the whole bot ordeal. Touching on the electric stuff, to me I see it as another current fad as I believe natural gas is a far more plentiful resource if all the bs regulations weren't strangling that industry to enrich a select few people. Those lithium mines are going to be mined out one day and they'll have no choice but to bring the gas boom back then.

In other countries, manual transmissions are still popular. For instance, while in the Dominican Republic two years ago, manual transmissions were the norm. Even small busses, such as this 15 seat Toyota hotel transfer vehicle are manual.
1660189912323.png

Since I was 16 years old all the work trucks had manual transmissions with the shifter on the column or floor along with the farm tractor. When I got my Charger in '77 and it had an 727 Automatic it was just fine with me. Automatics were showing up at the local Drag strip, so they can't be that bad.
Left hand on the wheel at the 12 o'clock, right foot on the gas, left foot just next to the brake pedal and one hand on her leg. Yes the High School Driving Instructor never wanted to see you drive ''his'' Automatics with both feet. Then again he was not the one street racing on the weekend.
When I want to drive a manual 4 speed I jump in my '74 Jeep CJ5 with a Ford NP435 4 spd and a Dana 300 twin stick transfer case with a Line Lock on the rear brakes. I guess this will have to satisfy me till I'm dead. Maybe.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back