• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The End of Manual Transmission

I liked the Manuals trans. that if the battery took a dump, you could get it in a gear and push or roll it down a hill then pop the clutch to get the motor started. I do miss that feature in the Automatics.
I don't think that works anymore with fuel injection! you need voltage to light the pump and fire the injectors!

my father's been gone since 1980. and my mother since 1969! When she passed away in she had a 66 healey and I don't recall ever seeing my dad drive it! I knew he had to have driven stick in his younger days but I think when the automatic came out he just liked the simplicity!
There was this one time I was up north and borrowed my cousins brand new F250 and took it for a cruise happened to see a 69 black road runner screaming around a corner coming towards me! girlfriend says that was your car and I'm thinking who the hell has my car! yup "Dad out rowing gears" good for him he didn't have much of a life after mom passed!

I like the 727 with a shift kit but that's the only automatic I enjoy driving. Everything else, has to be manual.
Put a GV behind that 727 and you have a six speed. Now you have a transmission that will keep an engine in that sweet stop between gears by just pushing a button.

I believe it is also pressure from epa on automakers to reduce manuals due to the puff of emissions every time clutch is pushed in and gears shifted, along with revving to get vehicle moving.
Manuals get better gas milage than a automatic ever will!
I guess y'all haven't heard about the "save the manual" movement???

Manuals get better gas milage than a automatic ever will!
I guess y'all haven't heard about the "save the manual" movement???
[/URL]
I'm sorry if you mistook my post as being anti manual, I am far from it. It has zero to do with fuel economy and everything to do with emissions. I hate it, don't agree with it and think our country is being led into a future I don't want to see happen.

With an complex infotainment system, multi-zone HVAC, display choices, handling texts and calls, and who knows whatever gadgetry I'm not up to date on..... what small percentage of the population has the ability to ALSO manually shift their car anymore?

I miss my 98 d250 with V10 and a 5 speed
But my Jeep scares some people when they see 4 sticks and a clutch pedal

When we ordered-bought our 96 Porsche 6 speed it was nice for awhile but I didn’t like the jerky transition from a start, unless it was revved up it would choke out easy (driven sticks 40 years or more) Don’t know if it was a timing issue or what, I thought a heavier flywheel would have worked. Kept it fives years and the dealer bought it back (5000 miles on it). In hindsight should of got the Tip Tronic, I would still have it.
The VW GTI was the best I’ve ever owned, so easy a cave man could drive it!

Interesting. I find my 96 911 (manual trans) very smooth from a start/whenever. Floor pivoted pedal takes some getting used to.

No worries about the end of the manual trans cars. Every car I would want with a manual has already been made.

(due to countless other reasons I dislike new cars)

Interesting. I find my 96 911 (manual trans) very smooth from a start/whenever. Floor pivoted pedal takes some getting used to.

No worries about the end of the manual trans cars. Every car I would want with a manual has already been made.

(due to countless other reasons I dislike new cars)
I’m thinking it might have been timing-emission thing. 08 BMW has almost same thing even thought an auto, on gear change with steady throttle it drops on nose then picks up, no smooth up shifts just hesitation each time.

1. Are new cars all going to automatically shut the engine off at a stop light?
If so how would a manual even work with that?
2. I don't see a thread yet re Dodge's announcement for "last call" on Challengers and Chargers.

I have a 2012 535i with a manual trans and it has stop/start.

If you come to a stop, clutch in, it stays running. If you clutch out in neutral it shuts off and restarts as you clutch in.

First thing I turn off when I get in the car.

I heard the turn off option will not be available on new cars?

I have a 2012 535i with a manual trans and it has stop/start.

If you come to a stop, clutch in, it stays running. If you clutch out in neutral it shuts off and restarts as you clutch in.

First thing I turn off when I get in the car.

I heard the turn off option will not be available on new cars?

I put one of these each in my truck and the wife's car. It's well worth the money .....

I love stick trannys--I have 5 and 6 speed overdrive trannys in 5 of my 10 cars--soon to be in # 6---these are daily drivers and went from 6 to 8 mpg to 24 to 27 in all of them--cars are fun to drive and much faster than when they were automatics--engine turning only 2400 rpm at 100 mph on the free way--I DONT find them tiring even in heavy traffic--just my opinion

I love stick trannys--I have 5 and 6 speed overdrive trannys in 5 of my 10 cars--these are daily drivers and went from 6 to 8 mpg to 24 to 27 in all of them
That is not possible.

1 FPP.JPG

Oh yes--these trannys are 36% overdrives--80 mph is 2000 rpm--100 mph is 2200 rpm--running a 3:23 sure grip that is like haveing a 3:78 gear in 1st--and a 2:13 in 5th overdrive--best of both worlds--bottom end take off with top end cruisability--brought my B-body cars into the modern world---

Manual transmissions will be around for a long time to come. The only change is "how" they're shifted. Take a look at the Konigsegg manual trans. Shifts gears in something like a 10th of a second - but not with a stick !!

I love stick trannys--I have 5 and 6 speed overdrive trannys in 5 of my 10 cars--soon to be in # 6---these are daily drivers and went from 6 to 8 mpg to 24 to 27 in all of them--cars are fun to drive and much faster than when they were automatics--engine turning only 2400 rpm at 100 mph on the free way--I DONT find them tiring even in heavy traffic--just my opinion
is what you actually mean to say is that the cars used to have Automatic 3 speed trans and now have 5 or 6 speed manuals? If that's the case, the MPG increase is likely real. My 727 behind the big block only gets 8 mpg.

I've never understood the argument "I'm tired of shifting gears" but I guess I'm unusual? For me driving isn't just a means of getting from point A to B it's an interaction between man and machine that should be fun, because of that I always prefer manual. My first manual was a 5 speed Dakota then my Charger and now my Cooper S but drove many before that and never get tired of shifting gears, it's second nature.

Auto Transport Service
Back