• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Fable Creature

Finally an update

Hey all, been quite some time since I've had the chance to post anything, had quite the summer. June 7th I married my gal, most definitely didn’t have the car back together in time, I knew I wouldn't all along but I shot for it for the couple weeks I had the car back before the wedding.. Helped to get a jump on things anyway.
View attachment 219461View attachment 219462
Well where to begin.. First thing was a day consisting of the air compressor and the vacuum and alllllllll that sand/media, just kept coming and coming. First real thing I did was pulled off the old leafs springs and put on a new set of the SS springs, surprised myself and got it all back together in no time. Put on a set of KYB gas-a-just shocks. Confidence grows. Then I started working on brakes. Did the back drums with fresh everything, it went accordingly.
20140701_173406.jpg
The fronts were a different story. I did a right stuff conversion kit for front manual discs. So I got acquainted with ball joints, found my dads old pickle fork and it all went pretty smooth. Cant say my brake lines were the prettiest but I figure there’s a learning curve. The left side looked much better. …..but those nuts under the dash to change the master cylinder, now those were a real treat. Really enjoyed those.
20140727_195036.jpg20140802_183306.jpg20140802_220722.jpg
Next pulled off the old gas tank and put on a new one, 3/8 sending unit and ran the new 3/8 line. Other than the tank strap j bolt being too short it went good too.
Next I started installing the Fatmat. That stuff really was a breeze, dont know why I was worried about it. An electric heat gun is the ticket with that stuff. Other that the fucked up burning chemical smell when using the heat gun, I didnt have a problem at all. And the smell was gone out of the shop and the car by the next day. Used two rolls, did the entire floor, trunk divider, package tray, strips on the inside of the door skins, wheel wells, covered about half the trunk and half the roof in strips. Noticed a huge difference in the door slam right away.
20140612_220322.jpg20140614_231513.jpg20140614_231654.jpg
Then parts got here and I was ready to try to drop that big block in. 25% excited 75% terrified. Help from a good buddy and we had it wrestled in in no time. Surprised the sh!t out of me. Feeling pretty f'n impressed with things at this point. Over the next week got the carb on, linkage puzzle figured out, my new evans harness wired in, new starter, starter relay, ignition box, regulator all mounted and wired up. Primed the top end, set top dead center, and gave her a go. And alas, no fire. And the hunting began. A week and a half, a bunch of new parts, a new voltmeter, and a good lesson later, I found a broken wire in my new harness. My first electrical troubleshooting. Well played, dad. Well played.
IMG_0651.jpgIMG_0652.jpgIMG_0655.jpgIMG_0656.jpg
20140818_203642.jpg
Later that night she had her first combustion. I was pretty stoked. Next day put in the new radiator, shroud and plumbing, had a little trouble getting the fuel pump to prime but after a dozen tries or so, off she went!! Must have done alright with the carter cause she ran like a top right away, adjusted the timing a bit, held her around 2 grand and ran her up to operating temp. Couldnt have gone smoother. My good buddy, who is a hell of a good mechanic, was over that night to run the show cause I was a chicken ****. He was surprised too, said I done good.
Next day put her new shoes on and she moved under her own power for the first time in 5 years. Pretty big day. Even though it was just backwards out of the shop to blow 4 months of dust off her.
20140907_181418.jpg20140907_181418.jpg
Next I wired in my little stereo. I ran an ipod straight to a nice little high fidelity amp and to two nice JBL 6x9s, and have to say Im quite impressed by how much stereo I get out of just two 6x9s. Highway speeds with the windows down, I can hear the tunes just fine! Then wired in a 3 gauge cluster and a Sunpro tach on the column. Everything worked and all lights dimmed, success!Then I continued with the interior. Put new carpet in, went in like a breeze. Took me three nights to get the headliner in. All in all, I'd definitely do it again. For $400 kept in my pocket, Ill live with the 2 wrinkles. A hairdrier is a must! Never got any pictures of it completed.
20140726_143627.jpg20140615_005943.jpg20140726_220342.jpg20140726_220348.jpg20140812_222325.jpg20140905_004615.jpg
I learned one specific 'must' when working with that pearl white interior. Magic erasers. Holy hell are those things great on white interior. Magic erasers and an air compressor. Hours ahead! All the interior, door panels and center console cleaned up great and went back in great. All of a sudden it looked like a car again! And check out all that overspray.... on the inside... lesson learned.
20140905_020902.jpg20140905_044827.jpg20140905_045026.jpg20140817_200308.jpg
Next I started the dreaded weatherstripping. Molded metro weatherstripping is f'n amazing! Took a couple pay checks, but that stuff is as good as advertised. Top of the line. And when I got the wrong cat whiskers, found out the customer service is second to none. Had the right ones within 2 days. I would highly recommend them.
Finally I put her face back together, and she just smiled right back. Seeing the grill, bezels, bumper and hood back on got me even more wound up. Got the w/s and backglass trim on, back bumper, trunk panel, taillights all back together. Read a tip about painting the inside of your taillight buckets flat white to really make them pop, and right on! They sure do pop!
20140909_020624.jpg
Next she went to the exhaust shop. Hooked up some Thrush mufflers to my HP manifolds, and found a set of the '67 slash tips, she looks and sounds pretty sweet. Had no idea what to expect, but Im really happy with it, he did a great job.
I was a chicken **** again when it came to putting the side trim back on. Talked my paint man into doing it for me, there were three holes to drill!! I know, Ill go put my dress on.
All of a sudden I was looking at a nearly finished car. Im not that naive, I know itll never really be done.
All along I was fighting a charging issue, but was doing everything else but getting to it. After 2 new alternators coming bad from the warehouse, finally get a good one. Not getting enough volts. Switch out the new mechanical regulator for another new one, same problem. Finally put in a Wells 704 and bingo. 13 volts all day long. Theres a thread in electrical with all the details.
So she is all put back together, just turned 400 miles on the motor, so she's ready for the break in oil to get dropped, aaaaaaaaaaaannd, my wife and I move 700 miles away from my car. Iowa to Fort Collins, Colorado. That was the plan all along, but kept putting it off until the car was wrapped up. Two weeks ago was the move. So, from now until the day we move into a place with a trustworthy garage, Dads car is parked in his shop. Anxiously awaiting for me to come home for Thanksgiving.
Cheers!:beerchug:
20141007_172630-1.jpg20141013_142630.jpg20141015_183542.jpg20141015_183605.jpg20141015_183727.jpg20141011_101745.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And I have to thank everyone for all their advice and help. Hope I can return the favor in due time. Thanks guys!
And also the Iowa mopar guru, Jeff Bobst, man that guy had everything I ever asked for, endless knowledge, helped me so much, plus a hell of a nice guy! His company's name is Jeffco. Give him a shout for anything you could want, from a survivor to a gas cap.
Also Josh Mcdivitt, of Mcdivitt Custom Autobody in Parkersburg, Ia. He really took care of me, above and beyond. A hell of a good guy to work with. Would recommend him to anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20140605_105757_995.jpg
    IMG_20140605_105757_995.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20140605_105706_189.jpg
    IMG_20140605_105706_189.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 161
Fantastic! Well done! Enjoy and be proud of that work and what you've done for that car!

Your Dad would be happy and proud. Keep after it, you'll get it done. Congrats on your upcoming wedding! :)

Wow thanks guys! Gotta admit, I was pretty lit up last night when I posted that, quite impressed with my grammar and punctuation! Ha! I have more pictures to post when I get a minute to move them from my phone. No I was being overly critical of myself, Im happy with how everything has turned out so far. Im learning something everyday. Sure is fun. I had a friend say a month ago about the finish panel 'who are you going to have paint that?' I said me, and he laughed. Got to bust it out on him last weekend and just smile :) But I left out the part about how many hours I had in on it ha! Thanks for the encouragement fellas! Kinda going at this alone so thanks for this awesome forum and everyones help! These two keep me pretty good company, but suck at restoring parts!

They each have there own beer preference? Couple of picky buddies, you have there.

super looking car man, great job! I am stoked about doing mine more than ever, just need to wait till the snow arrives. Once it's here all outdoors work ceases. Then I get to spend all of my free time in the garage all winter, which here in VT is a lonnnngggg...time. Congrats!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the compliments. Helps while I'm going through my withdraws... what I'd give for just the littlest snort of that gas pedal... ;)

Great job. And great motivation for us slackers. Hopefully you can get your car closer to you!

Enjoyed your thread & story, nicely done my friend!

Just love the 66-67's.....looking nice man!

Auto Transport Service
Back