• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The good, the bad, and the ugly

you will spend 10 easy on the RR if not more.

To me, the price of body and paint work make the Challenger choice a no-brainer.
If you like black that is. I'll never own another black car.

I'd just drop it in the RR and cruise as is, oddball wheels and all. No need for luxury items like a hood.

You'd look crazy fearless.

I do have a soft spot for the "primer, wide tires, and shackles" look.

You could remove the ugly Mercury Comet looking tail panel and frown grille and replace them with 1970 pieces without messing up the paint on the Challenger. You could cut in the 70 side marker lights carefully without screwing up the paint if you drill the corners,and use a cutoff wheel to cut out the rest of the opening. The side marker lights won't be recessed like an original 70 Challenger,but I doubt anyone would even notice on a black car.

I don’t know if I would change anything. In the end it is still a ‘73 Challenger, why in this diminishing field of cars would you represent it as anything else ? I constantly see on this forum, people saying “don’t misrepresent your car”, then the same folks encouraging it. Buy it for what it is, drive it and enjoy it….as they were meant to be. Never misrepresent it or modify it to something it never was. These cars are getting more scarce by the minute. Why carve them up and diminish any value ? They are worth more as what they came off the assembly line than they are “cloned or tribute” cars.

I don’t know if I would change anything. In the end it is still a ‘73 Challenger, why in this diminishing field of cars would you represent it as anything else ? I constantly see on this forum, people saying “don’t misrepresent your car”, then the same folks encouraging it. Buy it for what it is, drive it and enjoy it….as they were meant to be. Never misrepresent it or modify it to something it never was. These cars are getting more scarce by the minute. Why carve them up and diminish any value ? They are worth more as what they came off the assembly line than they are “cloned or tribute” cars.
I am not a fan of the frown grille,and the Comet taillights.

Ok, but that is your opinion….correct ? I respect your opinion, it is just not what I would do. You have a yard and barn full of cars you’re trying to make something out of, whether it be stock or clone or tribute. That is your choice as they are your cars. You bought them, do with them as you like. I just think the someone like the OP is just asking for help deciding which car he should buy. I have no idea as to his financial situation, but the challenger will require a lot less dinero than the RR to be fun on the road. JMO

It is not just my opinion,it is most people's opinion. I have a 73 340 4 speed Challenger shell,it will be a 70 clone if I ever get around to doing anything with it.

I've read numerous posts - build your car the way you want it and I've done the same; though nothing I've done, I'd call anywhere near radical. Some are going to love it and others won't, whatever is done. As Rick Nelson's old tune went: You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself. Lol, posted before about a few people I've encountered with the irresistible urge to share their disapprove opinions. Well so nice to know you went out of your way just to let me know this bit of information you found important to - share with me.

I'm not a fan of the 72-74 challengers (or barracudas) either, but I would rather put my hemi in a nice body, than a ratty primer 68 rr that needs everything.
(Frankly, if I had a hemi I wouldn't put it in either of those cars. Don't care for the ratty rr, and I WONT buy any more black cars, or trucks, ever. ( I think I have had seven, still have two, a couple too many. I've learned my lesson!)

Last edited:
Thanks Ron ! It is the OP’s decision what car he wants and how far he is willing to go with it. Case closed !

The 70 fenders are already on my 73. I have an AMD 70 tail panel and I have the marker light cutouts. This will be a 70 clone when done. I'm leaning towards a straight axle gasser with a blown 440 and fenderwell headers. I love the old school 70s fender flares.

20200808_073123.jpg

I'll throw in my two cents here too:

If both cars were finished with the Hemi, I'd like the RR better. I think a B-body will look better - the longer body helps "offset" the engine parts poking through the hood. B-bodies also ride better.

The above obviously does not account for cost or ease of conversion. I do think the Challenger would be the easiest to build (assuming there are no bad surprises with its condition).

20230730_170131.jpg

I like the challenger idea. This is a buddy's 9sec car on 9" tires. Full trim.

I am leaning toward the Challenger over the Road Runner. I dont want to do a project as big as the RR will be for one. And, I have never owned an E Body.

I stumbled in to this last night on BAT. Ends today. I don't care for the side stripe so much, but I do love the body style. What do you guys think? BTW, for the first two in this thread, the RR is sold, and the Challenger owner never responded to me, so it probably sold as well.

1704637687784.png

1974 Plymouth Barracuda

Auto Transport Service
Back