• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Paul_G

Local time
2:29 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for a decent car to put my 528 Hemi in when rebuilt and done. The Hemi will have a dual quad tunnel ram sticking through the hood. I have found two cars worth considering. One is a 68 Road Runner in primer, the other is a 73 Challenger, non running with supposedly good paint and body, will need an interior refresh by looking at the pictures. Take a look and tell me what you guys think of both cars?

I am really a B Body guy, so this is more up my alley. 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner

1703798034248.png

Always wanted an E Body. 1973 Dodge Challenger

1703798140055.png

Look at the amount of resto work each one would require and your desired budget: Pretty complete (appointments/trim/interior) not much missing to have to replace? Of course, body condition, if they’re original AZ cars, better bet less of a problem. Condition? Looks like one might involve more resto cash than the other, not sure. Might be some other hassles dropping the motor you have in the E-body vs B-body. Then your preference – RR or Challenger? Opinions? I’d lean E-body cuz I like them, but always liked the RR’s too.

If the challenger was a 70 or 71, maybe...but you already said you're "really a B-body guy"...so why would you even consider that sorry excuse for a challenger?

Last edited:
I am looking for a decent car to put my 528 Hemi in when rebuilt and done. The Hemi will have a dual quad tunnel ram sticking through the hood.

I am really a B Body guy, so this is more up my alley. 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner

If you're going to cut a hole in the hood, get yourself a flat hood instead of ruining the RR hood.

Obviously much depends on how much work youre willing to do and how much $$ you’re willing to spend. But if I was looking for a home to drop that heartbeat in it would clearly be 68/69 GTX, RR or maybe Bee. But the choice is up to you my friend. My 2cts

If the challenger was a 70 or 71, maybe...but you already said you're "really a B-body guy"...so why would you even consider that sorry excuse for a challenger?
Granted a ’70 or 2nd, a ’71 MO, would be my first preference, having once owned a ’70. I bought a ’73 new as things evolved, still liking the iconic body style. Photo is a photo, but it looks like a nice 1st gen Challenger, perhaps to be had less the friggin insane costs of the ‘70/71’s. The OP wants to drop a non-stock motor in it anyway and no idea of his budget so just guessing. That Challenger doesn’t look like ‘trash’ MO. Want a ’68 RR over a ’73? Lol, just MO...not knocking the guys who love the '73's. To each - their own.

Conundrum?

1) The Road Runner is what it is, needs everything done, and will cost a lot more then the asking price of the Challenger by the time it is finished, not including engine/trans. What is under the primer? Could need a whole lot more than blocking and spray. But when done I know what I have.

2) The Challenger appears to be a clean straight car. West coast car most of it's life. Being a 73 not a high dollar car ever. Could come out of it with a lot less work and $$.

What is the difference in the engine compartment in the 73 Challenger vs. a B-body up to 72?

Drop it in the challenger :thumbsup: and Im a B body guy.

Granted a ’70 or 2nd, a ’71 MO, would be my first preference, having once owned a ’70. I bought a ’73 new as things evolved, still liking the iconic body style. Photo is a photo, but it looks like a nice 1st gen Challenger, perhaps to be had less the friggin insane costs of the ‘70/71’s. The OP wants to drop a non-stock motor in it anyway and no idea of his budget so just guessing. That Challenger doesn’t look like ‘trash’ MO. Want a ’68 RR over a ’73? Lol, just MO...not knocking the guys who love the '73's. To each - their own.
My response was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek since he said he's really a B-body guy.

And one more thing, I currently have a 69 RR convertible. Having 2 Road Runners is not terrible, but I have never owned an E body. I have always preferred the 'Cuda's. But that Challenger looks to have a great body. And non runner, price drop! I will check out in person whichever car I decide to go after first. I have walked away from dozens of great looking cars...in pictures, to find a decrepit hulk in person.

I had a 74 challenger and I thought it looked nice it was for my wife. Only e body car Ive owned. Always b bodies.

P1020457.JPG

My response was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek since he said he's really a B-body guy.
Well, okay, the ’72-’74 Challengers (or Cuda’s) aren’t THEE most coveted, BUT, look at what those can get dollar-wise being a sister of the 70-71’s. First gen IS first gen. They retained most of the style, exterior/interior less the grille and tail, and the fall-out of nuked HP, easily remedied if not concerned about factory offerings. SAME platform. I’m not a purist having done some cloning to cars that I simply added ready-bolt-on that the factory – didn’t happen to have on their build order to install.

Price and budget not considered here?

Conundrum?

1) The Road Runner is what it is, needs everything done, and will cost a lot more then the asking price of the Challenger by the time it is finished, not including engine/trans. What is under the primer? Could need a whole lot more than blocking and spray. But when done I know what I have.

2) The Challenger appears to be a clean straight car. West coast car most of it's life. Being a 73 not a high dollar car ever. Could come out of it with a lot less work and $$.

What is the difference in the engine compartment in the 73 Challenger vs. a B-body up to 72?
You summed up an epistle I was going to write and post. Also, I'll add the following:

The only "con" I have to offer with regards to the Challenger is you'll be driving a nose-heavy, short wheel base car that has lots of power at the rear wheels.

The Challenger seller did mention he believes a Mouse ate some wiring. That wouldn't bother me since 50 year old wiring should be replaced anyway.

A big "Pro" for the Challenger is the car has been in the family for 30 years. That's a big plus in my mind.

Maybe you can get the price down from the $23k asking price or get him to include the car trailer in his asking price.

Curiously, I saw an ad today for a '73 Challenger in Georgia. His asking price is $25k and not as nice as the one you posted. However, the engine is running.
1973 Dodge Challenger

BTW, I'm a big fan of '68 B-bodies. I would go with the '73 Challenger.

Challenger looks like a "drop in and go" car.

RR looks like it needs 8K of paint and body work.

...and I'm a die hard B body guy, too.

70 Grill is a bolt in for the Challenger, then you have the coolest grill and the coolest rear lights.

That 72-74 side Strobe stripe is pretty darn cool.

My midwest poor boy opinion:
The 68, that guy has probably 6 grand in that car, probably had it for a while(long enough to pull the rotten interior out, lose it or throw it out when he moved, and "work on the paint" and then let rust come back through the primer), looked at recent prices for 68-70 b body cars, rubbed his hands together and said F it and threw it out there for over double what he has in it. That car is a shell. I know b body cars from the era are at a high point right now but to me that is absurd. Looks like it is full of pin holes, floors are probably not savable(you have to look from under side, but the rusty passenger floor tells me it is coming through the bottom) and no picture of the trunk?

The Challenger is lol overpriced, for the midwest. Maybe 2/3 of what he is asking, depending on an in person inspection. However it does look like a lot more of a starting point than the other car. Rubber underside means you will need to scrape to see what is going on, but my experience in the midwest is the rubberized coatings did make a positive difference. Not sure about out west. You can sell the 340 to some rich guy that won't accept a 360 as a substitute or stash it if you want to keep the "numbers matching" thing going, sell the running 360, fix the wires when you pull the entire interior out looking for the mouse nest, and not have to go parts huntng for silly crap like side marker lights, hood trim, and who knows what else that is assuredly missing from the other car. Heck you might find out the no start is because of the chinese accel stuff he put on there.

I am not sure either is a great choice for a driveline transplant, but the Challenger is a lot more car than the other one.
I reserve opinion on body styles as I joined this board when I picked up a 78 Monaco police sedan, so my tastes won't follow the crowd. if I had to pick, based on both value and in my case appearance, I would pick the Challenger.

Auto Transport Service
Back