• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the NASA thread and anything related

I hadn't heard that the B-29 was used as a basis for the TU-95. Of course it was copied for the TU-4 and the planned TU-85, but aside from a tubular fuselage there doesn't seem to be much to compare. But you're right, they didn't design more turboprop bombers, why would they? Even after they had jet bombers - the TU-16 was flying before the TU-95, The TU-22 was a supersonic bomber in 1962, and the Mach 2 TU-160 first flew in 1981 (still in production), the TU-95 was still considered a valid part of their inventory. So no, they didn't do other designs, they just kept building this one right up to 1993, long after many earlier jet designs were no longer in use. They must have thought it was worth having. The hourly operating costs are likely far lower than if was jet powered.

Meanwhile in the past couple of years they have begun upgrades with the new 15,000 hp. engines and revised propellers that have cut vibration in half.

Perhaps the bomb load is much less, but (according to Russian MoD signed contract for the modernization of the Tu-95MS strategic bomber to the level of the Tu-95MSM ) they can now carry up to 16 long range nuclear cruise missiles.

What I recall reading is that part of the Bear's fuselage is derived from the B-29. I don't think I'm confusing it with the TU-4, since everything on the TU-4 is copied from the B-29.

30940370-FBF1-4008-ABEA-7A679A907FB8.jpeg

A tradition in south Louisiana along the river where bonfires are lit on Christmas Eve to light the way for Papa Noel (Santa). This was one of dozens constructed for the bonfire.

Last edited:
"There was no earth shattering kaboom"... "where was the earth shattering Kaboom?"

It certainly got bent out of shape flying in circles... but the launch pad is still standing.

Everyone cheered as it blew up .... and they called it an exciting end to the inaugural .... wtf?

Science fascinates me! I had a friend die about 10 years ago and I've often thought of what he's missed if anything. His favorite team winning the Superbowl. BFD! I can't think of much that matters until you come to the things we've learned about the universe. Those are big and shocking milestones in human history. I know some don't care about Dark Energy and Dark Matter but Jeeze, that and other scientific discoveries are a huge advancement in human understanding.

Now the JWST is casting some doubt on the Big Bang Theory. Holy Moly. I have to put this in there because every time you mention the Big Bang Theory our minds go to this.

03-penny-from-big-bang-theory.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone cheered as it blew up .... and they called it an exciting end to the inaugural .... wtf?
That it actually cleared the launch tower and made it up for a couple of minutes was all they were hoping for, and it passed that expectation. It wasn't even planned to make a single orbit if everything went perfectly. They still got the most powerful rocket ever to get off the ground.

It wasn't a manned rocket. Nobody got killed. It's all good. Besides , I like to watch things explode . Just like on Mythbusters. When in doubt? C4. LOL!

DarkStar SR-72
high altitude high speed recon

SR-72 Lockeed Martin Skunk works - DarkStar #1.jpg

or the unmanned spy-drone version
SR-72 also
SR-72 Lockeed Martin Skunk works 'spy drone' - combined cycle propulsion.jpg

Combined Cycle, dual Ramjet/scramjet, Mach 3 +
SR-72 Lockeed Martin Skunk works supesonic replacement SR-71- combined cycle propulsion.jpg

Engines, jets, props...bombers...here you go:

600px-Convair_B-36_Peacemaker.jpg

Beginning with the B-36D (B-36J shown), the Peacemaker used 6 radial piston engines and 4 jet engines.

Last edited:
Solar Eclipse and Milky Way Galaxy photographed from Earth orbit . . .

Solar Eclipse viewed from Earth orbit.jpg

Buzz Aldrin was given an honorary promotion to general. Congrats General Aldrin

Damage to the launch pad is incredible!

If I understand correctly, the major problem with the launch was with the stage separation mechanism. Otherwise Starship would have made it to space. It's surprising that turned out to be the problem, given how many multi-stage rockets have flown at this point; but it's clearly something that can be solved. No reason to see this launch as a failure.

A different take on why Starship didn't make it to orbit - debris from the damaged launchpad took out too many engines.

Why the long launch ramp if they're in space?

The nearest star is 4 light years away. If we can eventually reach 1% of the speed of light (6.7 million mph, - which they believe someday in the far future might be possible), it would still take a 400 years to get there, not including the added time it will take to accelerate and decelerate to/from maximum speed.

Thus the need for the Battlestar accelerating launch ramp!

Auto Transport Service
Back