• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 'ol switcheroo

1STMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
I have no intention of leading this
post towards a political die -off.
I am seeking advice as to my power companies' request to switch to totally sun sourced electrival.
They tout current Kw/hr as being
the exact same as current
generation cost. For one, being
as this is relatively new technology,
I see no way they can honestly
state that clam.
I can see where the choice
dissappears.
Higher prices for either in the nesr
future.
Good luck charging your EV at
cheaper prices than good ol'
environmentally unfriendly
carbon based fuel.

Here in Ontario, most of our electricity is hydro-electric (Niagara Falls) or atomic-generated. In fact, most people in Ontario refer to our electricity as "Hydro", because the majority of our power came from Niagara Falls. Our power company is still called Ontario Hydro, even though we also have Atomic, Wind, and Solar generation. All coal generation plants were closed down years ago.

There is a place to add some capacity to the grid with "green" tech.
The gov't wants it to be the only method, which of course is foolish and short sighted.

The main issue is the solar and wind stuff is not being put up on land owned by the power company. They are leasing it. They want to entice land owners to allow them to put these in, because the gov't is going to subsidize the hardware and not the land. The leases are about ten years.
I will give you two guesses how long most of the hardware has for an expected life.
There are generally no clauses about clean up, or removal. In the midwest, farmers are approached, and made offers to lease that exceed the value of what they can gain from crop or feed. So some agree to it.
What happens when that lease is over and the subsidized equipment is busted up and not functioning, and can;t go to a landfill or get recycled without fees? The farmer can;t go back to planting crops, there are rows of metal posts and panels and buried wires in the way.

This entire thing is being put together by people looking to make a buck NOW and with no regard to what happens in the next decade. or even the next 5 years sometimes. Land stewardship is a lost social value it would seem now. Which is odd, given the purpose of all these so called better tech's.

Just like the lithium batteries that have basically no plan on how to handle them 5 years from now, these green techs have no real plan either. Videos abound of the piles of windmill arms laying around because they are less than worthless due to costs of disposal.

There is a place to add some capacity to the grid with "green" tech.
The gov't wants it to be the only method, which of course is foolish and short sighted.

The main issue is the solar and wind stuff is not being put up on land owned by the power company. They are leasing it. They want to entice land owners to allow them to put these in, because the gov't is going to subsidize the hardware and not the land. The leases are about ten years.
I will give you two guesses how long most of the hardware has for an expected life.
There are generally no clauses about clean up, or removal. In the midwest, farmers are approached, and made offers to lease that exceed the value of what they can gain from crop or feed. So some agree to it.
What happens when that lease is over and the subsidized equipment is busted up and not functioning, and can;t go to a landfill or get recycled without fees? The farmer can;t go back to planting crops, there are rows of metal posts and panels and buried wires in the way.

This entire thing is being put together by people looking to make a buck NOW and with no regard to what happens in the next decade. or even the next 5 years sometimes. Land stewardship is a lost social value it would seem now. Which is odd, given the purpose of all these so called better tech's.

Just like the lithium batteries that have basically no plan on how to handle them 5 years from now, these green techs have no real plan either. Videos abound of the piles of windmill arms laying around because they are less than worthless due to costs of disposal.
well said :thumbsup:

all the above approach is the best
coal, any # of fossil fuels, solar, wind, nukes, hydro, &/or steam
biofuel or any #s of diesels, propane, natural gas 'fired'
did I miss any ?
any & all have some sort of downside
all the above is better than
a mandatory
one way/my way or the highway approach most have now

batteries & inverters needed don't last either

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

to the OP @1STMP do your due diligence 1st
do a deep look before you spend a dime
on how long the **** lasts & what the downsides are, pros/cons
maintenance costs of any/all wear parts all are & how much to replace
warranties or guarantees aren't worth the paper they are written on

whatever happened to actual science ?
long term studies, real science, instead of
Just shoving **** out way before it's known or proven, worthwhile/worthy
or any or all the damn hype, it's pie in the sky & not reality

most is spin & lies

D) if you can not question it's not science it's propaganda.jpg

most of the studies are biased & swayed by the cash,
to fund research is not or never is a consensus of them
D) CASH A liberals understanding of SCIENCE.jpg

D) Definition of STUPID - know the truth seeing the proof still belive the lies.png
don't get dupped,
it's not what they say it is or what it can do, it's all about being compliant

D) Information - facts minus emotions opinions based experiance stupidity Ignores facts.png

Last edited:
The question remains. It's beyond the
control of the consumer. We're being
forced to accept a proven to fail
commodity that we all depend on,
with future generational methods.
At this point, I have the option to
choose our current method of supply,
or switch to solar.
Choose the method destined to fail,
or the method that is sure to get more
expensive via driven agendas.
Thanks for your input.

Having been in the industry, I was curious: I looked up Xcel NM energy and it says only 2 percent of their sourced power is solar, so I don't see how they could possibly be asking their customers if they want to go 100% solar and be able to fulfill the demand. I suspect that they are fishing for for an answer that says "see, our customers want solar!"... to justify developing or buying more of it.

It's unlikely that you HAVE to choose. Ignore their request or send it back saying that you want the cheapest power they sell!

If your putting solar panels on your roof as they do here you need to make sure the roof will last as long as solar panels. Put solar on your and 10 years later you need a roof .:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Last edited:
I believe New Mexico belongs to the SPP- Southwest Power Pool. Do your research, but the way a power pool works is generation companies all feed into a common grid and transmission energy is "wheeled" to the various Distribution companies who deliver it to your home. SPP has a total solar generation mix of - wait for it....0.2%. They do however have one of the largest mixes of wind generation.
Can you purchase from different generation suppliers?

I believe New Mexico belongs to the SPP- Southwest Power Pool. Do your research, but the way a power pool works is generation companies all feed into a common grid and transmission energy is "wheeled" to the various Distribution companies who deliver it to your home. SPP has a total solar generation mix of - wait for it....0.2%. They do however have one of the largest mixes of wind generation.
Can you purchase from different generation suppliers?
You are correct on the distribution.
3 main distributors are SPS, Xcel, and
PNM. I don't have a choice of which
to use as each has a specific area
they serve.

In PA, we get to choose our generation supplier. Here the Distribution Company (your SPS for example) is not allowed to own generation capabilities anymore. Each customer must choose a generation supplier, but it is still serviced by the monopoly Distribution company.
De- regulation sucks! Rates have quadrupled in 20 years since the Grandpa Utility can't own everything (generation, transmission, and distribution. )
Think of the old Ma Bells, and AT&T.

In PA, we get to choose our generation supplier. Here the Distribution Company (your SPS for example) is not allowed to own generation capabilities anymore. Each customer must choose a generation supplier, but it is still serviced by the monopoly Distribution company.
De- regulation sucks! Rates have quadrupled in 20 years since the Grandpa Utility can't own everything (generation, transmission, and distribution. )
Think of the old Ma Bells, and AT&T.
During my last trip from Roswell to
Albuquerque I noticed a huge array
of solar panels in Tijeras Canyon
(just east of Albuquerque). This would
be in PNM's territory. I don't know if
this bank is on line yet. I'm sure there
are other sites either being built or
sites slated for SPS and Xcel. The
notice I received is in Xcel's area in
conjunction with SPS.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure power companies love the idea as they can use simple excuses to increase costs...like "Your power bill was three times what it usually is because it was cloudy." Hmmm...

I have no intention of leading this
post towards a political die -off.
I am seeking advice as to my power companies' request to switch to totally sun sourced electrival.
They tout current Kw/hr as being
the exact same as current
generation cost. For one, being
as this is relatively new technology,
I see no way they can honestly
state that clam.
I can see where the choice
dissappears.
Higher prices for either in the nesr
future.
Good luck charging your EV at
cheaper prices than good ol'
environmentally unfriendly
carbon based fuel.
I would not do it. They say the Kw/hr rate of generation may be the same but that is not saying your rate will be the same and it will allow the power company to add additional charges. Like the following...

The Renewable Adjustment charge includes the costs for additional renewable energy and transmission to deliver this energy to our system. The Transmission Adjustment charge includes costs for new transmission facilities that are necessary for reliable delivery of the electricity to customers. The Solar Energy Adjustment charge includes the cost and benefits of solar energy purchased to meet the state’s Solar Energy Standard. Because solar energy production will differ from month to month, this line item will vary. The Solar Renewable Adjustment charge includes the costs associated with building and providing solar renewable energy on our system in addition to the solar energy we purchase. These costs are generally updated each year. The above is items are #12-15 from MNpower's facts about your electric bill.

I would not do it. They say the Kw/hr rate of generation may be the same but that is not saying your rate will be the same and it will allow the power company to add additional charges. Like the following...

The Renewable Adjustment charge includes the costs for additional renewable energy and transmission to deliver this energy to our system. The Transmission Adjustment charge includes costs for new transmission facilities that are necessary for reliable delivery of the electricity to customers. The Solar Energy Adjustment charge includes the cost and benefits of solar energy purchased to meet the state’s Solar Energy Standard. Because solar energy production will differ from month to month, this line item will vary. The Solar Renewable Adjustment charge includes the costs associated with building and providing solar renewable energy on our system in addition to the solar energy we purchase. These costs are generally updated each year. The above is items are #12-15 from MNpower's facts about your electric bill.
We have a $10 charge month for people who can't pay there bill. Do you one those?

Here in the Pacific NW the vast majority of our power is generated from hydro. A few years ago, Washington state passed a law that X% (I don't remember the number) of our power must be from renewable resources. For this definition they excluded hydro from being considered renewable. Excuse me?!? Do you expect the rivers to stop running? A prime example of politics over science. Now when you drive by the vast arrays of wind turbines in central Washington, it seems like less than 50% of the visible turbines are spinning. But the farmers are being paid so they're happy not raising grain or cattle.

Here in the Pacific NW the vast majority of our power is generated from hydro. A few years ago, Washington state passed a law that X% (I don't remember the number) of our power must be from renewable resources. For this definition they excluded hydro from being considered renewable. Excuse me?!? Do you expect the rivers to stop running? A prime example of politics over science. Now when you drive by the vast arrays of wind turbines in central Washington, it seems like less than 50% of the visible turbines are spinning. But the farmers are being paid so they're happy not raising grain or cattle.
That's really odd, since the U.S. Federal govt. ( How Hydropower Works ) views hydro power as a renewable resource.

Tell your power company to go where the sun don't shine. And I don't mean the shade.

Auto Transport Service
Back