• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The One I Loved Back Then Is Available

68BabyBlue

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
In the fall of 1968, the owner of our local dealership ordered a '69 dealer demonstrator 440 GTX, which would serve as his personal vehicle for the next 15 years before finally being sold to a customer. It was also unique in having every available factory option, with the exception of a vinyl top. I got a test drive in it at the age of 16, and have tried, without success, to buy it, from the time I finished college. The current owner has just contacted me. The car is for sale, I have right of first refusal. Those of you on this site who have followed my journey know that I ended up purchasing a '68 Hemi GTX from another FBBO member after having my last offer on the Demonstrator rejected. I can have one but not both. What would you do?

IMG_0101.JPG

Hemi GTX left side.jpg

What a conundrum.....do you prefer red or green.

Personally I think the red one is what you have pursued all your life......so go with the 440 car. :thumbsup:

Sell the HEMI, and have money in the bank ...for gas.

What a conundrum.....do you prefer red or green.

Personally I think the red one is what you have pursued all your life......so go with the 440 car. :thumbsup:

Sell the HEMI, and have money in the bank ...for gas.
I do prefer red, I've owned three '69s in that color.

That red '69 has a lot sentimental value to you. I think that's the one I would put in the garage if it were me...

If you really want it and it meets your goals, I would go for it. But maybe you have grown attached to the one you have.
I had a very nice 67 383 auto LL1 Charger. Wanted a 67 440 4 speed, got one GG1. Spending a lot more and am not finished, but got to drive it 15 years. Do miss the 383, but can’t look back. Would I sell this one to buy the other one back. No.

If you really want it and it meets your goals, I would go for it. But maybe you have grown attached to the one you have.
I had a very nice 67 383 auto LL1 Charger. Wanted a 67 440 4 speed, got one GG1. Spending a lot more and am not finished, but got to drive it 15 years. Do miss the 383, but can’t look back. Would I sell this one to buy the other one back. No.
What complicates the decision is that I love the current car exponentially more than any of the five previous GTXs I've owned, including Baby Blue.

In the fall of 1968, the owner of our local dealership ordered a '69 dealer demonstrator 440 GTX, which would serve as his personal vehicle for the next 15 years before finally being sold to a customer. It was also unique in having every available factory option, with the exception of a vinyl top. I got a test drive in it at the age of 16, and have tried, without success, to buy it, from the time I finished college. The current owner has just contacted me. The car is for sale, I have right of first refusal. Those of you on this site who have followed my journey know that I ended up purchasing a '68 Hemi GTX from another FBBO member after having my last offer on the Demonstrator rejected. I can have one but not both. What would you do?

View attachment 1302917

View attachment 1302918

I'm with KIWIGTX
It's what you desired all these years and now "here it is"
You won't regret it.

As someone who just bought back the Coronet I sold 20 years ago and still can't believe it happened...I will say go with GTX that you have pined over for all these years....the sentimental value is worth more then the Hemi in the other car IMHO. ;)

F8 green with the black stripping is nicer to the eye.

But I am admittedly bias. (In case you are not tired of my quick walk around vid. Lol.)

View attachment 1302917

View attachment 1302918
BUY IT

Chuck (snook)

The sentimental/emotional connection makes this decision for you.
Follow your heart.

Buy it and if you can, keep the Hemi car even if you have to street walk! :D I'm not a fan of red but ended up with two red trucks....they were just too good to pass up. The one I really like is emerald green Dakota pickup which was my dad's and I like it more than the red Dakota even though the red one has a much better AC in it. The other one is a 2500 diesel and well, had that beast since 2001. The diesel is Red 1 and the Dakota is Red 2....oh well. My first red car was a 67 Dart back in the mid 70's. It was faded and buffed it out and it faded again in less than a years time.

The sentimental/emotional connection makes this decision for you.
Follow your heart.
That test drive changed my life forever. When I handed the keys back to Julie Clark, she told me I had what it took to own that car down the road, I just needed to keep applying myself over time. Back then I wasn't so sure, but I thought of her words when things weren't going well, and they kept me moving forward, for 50 years.

Whatdaya mean you can't keep both cars?! Lol. I agree with everyone else's decisions though, sell the green car and get the red car since it's the one you have more of a connection too

Auto Transport Service
Back