• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The One I Loved Back Then Is Available

Just go get it and keep the hemi to that way you best of both worlds
I hoped for that scenario until recently. I have finally hit the wall in a physically demanding job, and plan on retiring this year. I kept working to justify multiple GTXs, and that ship has sailed.

What complicates the decision is that I love the current car exponentially more than any of the five previous GTXs I've owned, including Baby Blue.
This says it all.....you love the current car, do not sell it for any reason or you will be sorry. Everything you want or own is just a stitch in time, you have moved on from the other cars, stay moved on. Keep the hemi, always.

This says it all.....you love the current car, do not sell it for any reason or you will be sorry. Everything you want or own is just a stitch in time, you have moved on from the other cars, stay moved on. Keep the hemi, always.
I think this is likely. But I won’t say for sure until the inspection is done.

You could always by the car you wanted forever, then stuff a new gen 2 hemi in... by no means would I but... retain everything and have both... not the best idea in my opinion but it is possible... I prefer them just the way they came..

Sometimes the dream turning into reality can be disappointing. You love what you have now. I speak from experience, I always wanted a 70 HemiCuda, I bought one finally and it was a pile. I worked my guts out on that car but in my mind I knew it had once been a pile. I was happy when I bought it, happier when I got rid of it.

Do you want to worry about it now?

Or have it haunt you forever, later?

I have the first car I ever bought. Still.

I also, now, have a dead ringer for the first car my mom ever bought - a triple green '70 Charger 500 with factory a/c. I wanted that car since I learned what "car" meant. Hers was totaled in '76 by my dumbass cousin; I found an almost perfect match recently (only difference is mine's F4 and hers was F8)...and I jumped on it.

Haven't regretted it one bit.

I've always played with cars. Bought. Fixed. Tinkered. Raced. Sold to buy another. You know the drill. I've probably owned 75 or 80 Mopars over the years - classics, trucks, turbo cars, you name it I've had one (at least). Now that I have the Charger? That 'car wanderlust' is gone. I have what I've always wanted. I can focus on it, and I'm perfectly content to do so. It is the one. And, that means a lot.

I get that you love the one you have now. But, if this one gets away - again - how much is that going to eat at you, and for how long?

Too many variables to give advice.
It's personal.
And not always a business decision.

A red car says: "Look at me".
A green car with a Hemi says : "I'm business. Don't care. Look at my tail lights".
Like it or not what we drive says something.
The stuff comedies have been made of.

I hoped for that scenario until recently. I have finally hit the wall in a physically demanding job, and plan on retiring this year. I kept working to justify multiple GTXs, and that ship has sailed.
Here's how I'd look at it, and you seem like a fairly logical guy too, but it seems to me you can afford to buy the dream car and keep the Hemi too, in your current situation, correct? I am considering this statement above, but bear with me. So let's say you buy them both, a car purchase isn't going to affect your decision or finances to retire, if you are that close on money, retirement wouldn't be an option. So think about this, buy the dream car, keep the hemi too, drive them both, experience them simultaneously, and when finances in retirement force you to make a decision to sell one, you'll have a clearer head as to which one to liquidate, not to mention they will have appreciated in value further reinforcing the decision and actually bolstering retirement financial totals in the end. None of my business, and just my opinion. Good luck whichever way you go and I hope I find myself in this situation at some point in my life, too.

Here's how I'd look at it, and you seem like a fairly logical guy too, but it seems to me you can afford to buy the dream car and keep the Hemi too, in your current situation, correct? I am considering this statement above, but bear with me. So let's say you buy them both, a car purchase isn't going to affect your decision or finances to retire, if you are that close on money, retirement wouldn't be an option. So think about this, buy the dream car, keep the hemi too, drive them both, experience them simultaneously, and when finances in retirement force you to make a decision to sell one, you'll have a clearer head as to which one to liquidate, not to mention they will have appreciated in value further reinforcing the decision and actually bolstering retirement financial totals in the end. None of my business, and just my opinion. Good luck whichever way you go and I hope I find myself in this situation at some point in my life, too.
You have analyzed my situation accurately. Money is not the issue. I owned a 440 car (Baby Blue, another love from back in the day) in addition to the Hemi last fall. Sold her to the right guy for the right reasons, hadn’t planned on it. Now that I have just the one, i like the situation better, less of a problem for my wife if I predecease her. Retirement will also eliminate the free storage a vendor gave me for the second car as part of our business relationship. So it will be just the one no matter what.

Last edited:
It's personal.

A green car with a Hemi says : "I'm business. Don't care. Look at my tail lights".
Friends always said I was more a Hemi kind of guy, years before I owned one, and I like them in subtle, rather than loud colors.

Last edited:
It's personal.

You couldn’t have said it better.

Do you want to worry about it now?

Or have it haunt you forever, later?

I have the first car I ever bought. Still.

I also, now, have a dead ringer for the first car my mom ever bought - a triple green '70 Charger 500 with factory a/c. I wanted that car since I learned what "car" meant. Hers was totaled in '76 by my dumbass cousin; I found an almost perfect match recently (only difference is mine's F4 and hers was F8)...and I jumped on it.

Haven't regretted it one bit.

I've always played with cars. Bought. Fixed. Tinkered. Raced. Sold to buy another. You know the drill. I've probably owned 75 or 80 Mopars over the years - classics, trucks, turbo cars, you name it I've had one (at least). Now that I have the Charger? That 'car wanderlust' is gone. I have what I've always wanted. I can focus on it, and I'm perfectly content to do so. It is the one. And, that means a lot.

I get that you love the one you have now. But, if this one gets away - again - how much is that going to eat at you, and for how long?
My wife (who is not into cars at all) always said I would torment myself if I couldn’t get the one that started the journey. She said buy it if condition and price match. If not, I’ll keep the Hemi and never look back.

Buy the other car keep both and build a bigger garage

I wonder, if I had the chance to get my first car back ('70 GTX 440 4-speed), would I sell my Hemi to get it? I'm not so sure. The question for me would be, which would I regret more, passing on my old car or selling my Hemi? It's impossible to know the answer now, but that would be what I'd have to ponder. Like you, that car changed my life when I was a teenager.

As you said, the present condition and price may make the decision for you. And you may just know the answer without question once you see it. Good luck with your decision!
My wife concurs with you. She thinks the odds are better than even I'll do a deal on the Demonstrator, that I'm in a better bargaining position than the seller, already owning what, by any definition except emotional attachment, is a far superior car. The Demonstrator has a checkered past. Back in the day, it was in several fender benders, and was a daily driven Pennsylvania rust bucket that looked like Swiss cheese in 1975. It got restored in the early '80s with NOS parts, then again in the '90s. So who knows. I'll put this to rest at 11:00 am Sunday morning, when I see it after 47 years. Also, the Hemi will go back to the friend who sold it to me if I make the switch, so I'm good with that outcome.

Sometimes the dream turning into reality can be disappointing. You love what you have now. I speak from experience, I always wanted a 70 HemiCuda, I bought one finally and it was a pile. I worked my guts out on that car but in my mind I knew it had once been a pile. I was happy when I bought it, happier when I got rid of it.
I went through that experience as well. Bought a '66 Corvette convertible 13 years ago. Never so glad to get rid of a car. I will be scrutinizing this situation with excruciating caution, believe me.

Auto Transport Service
Back