• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The One I Loved Back Then Is Available

My wife concurs with you. She thinks the odds are better than even I'll do a deal on the Demonstrator, that I'm in a better bargaining position than the seller, already owning what, by any definition except emotional attachment, is a far superior car. The Demonstrator has a checkered past. Back in the day, it was in several fender benders, and was a daily driven Pennsylvania rust bucket that looked like Swiss cheese in 1975. It got restored in the early '80s with NOS parts, then again in the '90s. So who knows. I'll put this to rest at 11:00 am Sunday morning, when I see it after 47 years. Also, the Hemi will go back to the friend who sold it to me if I make the switch, so I'm good with that outcome.
Hey Bro - With the above info you just let loose - I’m bailing on even considering that car. Of course that’s me - not you and I guess your opinions are more important than mine here… Lol. However when you chimed in with the checkered past - rust bucket - Swiss cheese info. I dropped the mic and blew if off on that alone. I now wouldn’t touch it with someone else’s money. Forget demonstrator - Keep HEMI. Say goodnight Gracie!!

I’m with GetX’d, after hearing rust, then restored twice. Keep the Hemi.

Now let’s see the redhead today’s picture. She was a hottie in 69. Women only get better with time.

After learning of the Demonstrator's sorry history, I, too, am changing my mind. Your Hemi car car likely has a much more solid history. Keep it and let the other patch job go. It sounds a lot like meeting an old girl friend at a 25-year high school reunion. Reality hardly ever matches your memories.

After learning of the Demonstrator's sorry history, I, too, am changing my mind. Your Hemi car car likely has a much more solid history. Keep it and let the other patch job go. It sounds a lot like meeting an old girl friend at a 25-year high school reunion. Reality hardly ever matches your memories.
I just went to my 50 year reunion, and it wasn't pretty. Surprisingly though, the one back then (very first date, before I met my wife, same year I drove the Demonstrator) still looks like she did, and has never attended a reunion. My main mission in seeing the car is to put this thing to rest after 50 years. It is significant that in 1983, Bill and Julie Clark told me to buy Baby Blue rather than their car.
BB 1991 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I’m with GetX’d, after hearing rust, then restored twice. Keep the Hemi.

Now let’s see the redhead today’s picture. She was a hottie in 69. Women only get better with time.
She has worked out the entire 45 years we've been married, and weighs less today than when we were newlyweds. In an odd twist of fate, she hasn't had to use the
Diane 2.jpg
wheelchair since she retired, but now I do, for distance.

Last edited:
A look through the Lost and Found section will reveal that I too long for cars from my past, but I don't think I could sell me current ones to get them back. Kinda puts you in the same situation after a while. You might start longing for the green car....
I'd definitely go see the red car and see how you feel, it might do nothing for you in person.

Well.

What was the final decision.

Im assuming by not hearing from you.

The green car is staying put.?

Well.

What was the final decision.

Im assuming by not hearing from you.

The green car is staying put.?
I am still in limbo. The deal has been on the back burner since I made the decision not to return to work when I finish my vacation the week of labor day (seemed an appropriate end point.) Selling the Peterbilt was a higher priority, but that deal is done now.

So for starters, my friend who sold me the Hemi agonized for nearly two months about buying it back, then passed. Had a inquiry from this thread, but it hasn't morphed into anything solid. After going through the totally unpleasant experience of selling my '69 4 speed cheap to buy the Hemi, I have promised myself not to repeat the process of listing a car on the internet. If word of mouth doesn't lead to a sale, I might, and this is not solid, might run it over the block at Mecum next summer. I will not let this car end up with a flipper like the '69 did.

Per your advice, Bill, I did in fact leave my emotions at home when I inspected and drove the car, and walked away without parting with my cash. I'm perfectly fine if a deal isn't reached, still would like to have the Demonstrator, but will not do a blood sacrifice of the Hemi to make it happen.

The body work on the Demonstrator was done by a high end body shop back in the day. The place used to do contract work for the Mercedes dealership on new cars damaged in transit. Metal work with NOS parts was flawless, gaps and fitting better than when the car was new (I know because I drooled over it for over a decade, but took photos to document what it actually looked like in 1971.) Car drove exactly like it did in 1970.

No new insights at the B body tent when I was at Carlisle. Consensus was having to choose between two cars of a lifetime for a GTX guy is a great problem to have, but which one is a question that can't be answered. So I am still drifting with the current waiting to see what happens. And I am absolutely not going to go to two cars again, I am trying to simplify my life now, not complicate it. If the green car stays in the garage, so be it.

Good Deal Adam,

Like I said when we talked.
I would absolutely love to find my old '69 GTX vert. I brought my daughter home from the hospital in it when she was born.
BUT I absolutely will not under any circumstances part with my current '66 hemi Satellite to do it

We are making memories with this one. Myself and my 2 girls went to a cars and coffee last weekend. We took 2 cars. Youngest drove the Hemi car up,,,oldest drive it back. I simply ,,,, got to ride shotgun in the Coronet both ways.
Neither one of them even remember the GTX, but have seen pictures. BOTH have said keep the hemi car above all else

Keep the car you have and enjoy the days my friend .

20220815_123335.jpg

20220813_092336.jpg

It’s a tough one, the hemi or the red one that started it all?
I had a similar situation back in the ‘80’s. The Daytona was always my favorite dream musclecar to own and I never thought I’d get one. Meanwhile in ‘81 I bought an A12 Bee. Then in ‘85 a B7 Daytona came up for sale and it was “now or never” so I bought it figuring I’d sell the bee.
Here we are in 2022 and we’re all still together! I actually had the Daytona up for sale 1 1/2 years ago for the same reason as our GTX friend here-retiring and wanted to downsize/simplify things, but no serious offers were forthcoming and I had a change of heart anyway so I’m glad it didn’t go.
Then I found out my wife never wanted me to sell it stating she always liked the Charger body better!
(No surprise there, she had the B7 ‘70 Charger 500 shown below)
Then my daughter who grew up with both the cars said the Daytona was her favorite!
We’ve had other mopars over the years but these two have always stayed.

98420492-BA65-4C4E-A31F-390CF808A647.jpeg

A9E01C17-8704-47EF-90DA-58A93098C5AC.jpeg

78AACAB9-529E-4F08-A130-8DB783AA8DC9.jpeg

Last edited:
Well guys, it's done. History trumped the Hemi, and the Demonstrator is residing in my garage as of last Thursday. Thanks to all of you for your input!

Great ending to an amazing story.
I would LOVE to find my old 1969 GTX vert. ( one on the right ) This is the one that my eldest daughter came home from the hospital in. And If I can find it. I may throw caution to the wind and try to buy it back after 20 plus years. The day I sold it I told the wife I sold the wrong car. Actually called the new owner the next day and offered him ?1000 more then he just paid me and I would come get it .

So if anyone by shear chance knows of the car. Get me a name and number. I will take it from there . Last known location was Las Vegas area. But I know a few people in the area and no one has seen it in years. So no idea if its even still in the area

Said daughter is now 25 and seen here driving my Hemi Satellite .

pairofgtxs.jpg

Allison-cruzin.jpg

Cool beans!! There's a couple that I'd like to have back but it's not in the cards anymore.....

That's just awesome. So few times in life are we presented the opportunity to "make right" a situation that was so
influential at the time.
I wish you could have both, of course - but I'm thinking I'd follow my "destiny" if only one is possible. :thumbsup:
Ed, you were right. I went with the flow, and and I've been ecstatic over the outcome!

Auto Transport Service
Back