• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The One That Got Away

Yellow A12 Bee. Guy left it at a body shop to be painted, never went back;to get. Owner wanted 800, went back 2 days later, gone.

68 Dart GT B5 with white interior and top.Complete down to the GT mag hubcaps. Pestered the lady that owned it for several years. Told her "I will pay you more than any body will offer." Nope saving it for her daughter to go to collage. "Well you know how to find me,and the offer will still stand." Saw it at a repair shop a year later for several weeks then it was gone. Stopped in and they said she couldn't pay for the repairs and didn't want it fixed,,,so they junked it.:mad:

Three cars I screwed up on 1- sold my 70 six pack shaker Cuda for 8k in early 90s
2- I was offered a trade, my 68 charger 440 4 speed Dana, perfect condition for a 71 Cuda 440 six pack white on white with white bumpers, white shaker, maybe 1 of 1. Car was in a million parts in boxes. 3- my neighbor offered me his 70 hemi Cuda for 5k in 1977. 4500 miles on it. Sold it to a guy in England. The car sat untouched until last year. Pictures from last year. Same wheels and NY registration.

cuda.jpg cuda4.jpg cuda10.jpg

So true – any of us being around long enough when we drove our daily drivers that are coveted collector cars today. My 1st was a ’67 GTO vert I got in my jr year in HS, my mother co-signed for me for all of $1,000. The car was fully optioned. Wish I’d a kept it. Later my daily was a ’70 Cuda vert I later traded in for a ’73 Challenger demo. I got $600 for the Cuda trade. Aha, wish I still had this one. This was around the time of the oil ‘crisis’ so these awesome cars were loaded up in used car lots. I was like a kid in a candy store driving by the car lots. A ’70 Shelby GT500 vert triple-black, caught my eye so took it for a test drive; but the $2,200 they wanted for it was too much for my wallet. It was fun when I’d go to different dealers and take out a car for a test drive for entertainment, lol…few RR’s, Cuda’s, Challengers…etc worth their weight in gold today! If I’d a had maybe 10 grand from a rich relative then to buy a few of these cars back then. Well, misery loves company for those of us who remember those days.

Back in oh...1978 or so I worked with a gal who owned a blue '64 Corvette roadster 327 powerglide. She asked me if I would install a set of sidepipes she had. She sweetened the deal by allowing me to drive it over the summer. That fall when I gave it back to her she asked me if I'd be interested in buying it for $4,000. Like a newly married idiot with a decent job but bills to pay, I turned it down.

Still kick myself to this day...bah!@#$%&*^$

It was 1982 and I was stationed in Vicksburg Ms. I was sent over to Jackson, the capitol about 50 miles due east to pickup Detroit diesel parts. I was driving around downtown and came up on a used car lot with a 69 1/2 A12 EK2 Roadrunner sitting right out front in one corner of the lot. I immediately did a u-turn almost hitting another car head on and into the lot. Jumped out to take a look with my heart ponding I peered inside at a woodgrain 4 speed shifter. I stepped around the drivers fender and glared at the $4,900 written in shoe polish across the windshield. I briskly walked to a phone booth beside the building and proceeded to call my young wife of only 6 months. After hanging up the phone the realization of spending $4,900 in 1982 with a baby on the way weighed heavily. To this day I cannot remember driving back to Vicksburg. But I still have my high school sweetheart 40 years & counting.

Auto Transport Service
Back