• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Proverbial "What Would You Do?" Question

Local time
2:26 PM
Reaction score
I've been looking for a '70 - '74 Plymouth B Body for quite some time now. In my journey I have come across several cars that were for sale, trade, or whatever.
Last week a guy told me about "an old Dodge" sitting at a guy's garage a couple hours from me. He gave me directions and I decided to take a road trip to see just what the car was. I finally found the place buried in the mountains of Upstate New York and drove into a yard filled with 40's and 50's mercs, Model "A"'s and other vintage iron. Off to the side of an old garage sat a yellow B Body, the only Mopar in the yard. A guy came out to greet me and was more than personable. I asked him about the Mopar and he told me it was his buddy's and that he was just letting his buddy keep the car there. He told me the car was for sale though and that the guy also had several other Mopars including a '73 Roadrunner that he might be selling.
As I got closer to the yellow Plymouth, I saw a Roadrunner decal on the trunk and the 383 faded on the sides of the hood. The car didn't have much of an interior though, with the excpetion of the Roadrunner emblem in the middle of the horn button. I opened the hood and there sat what appears to be a 383 in decent shape. I also found remnants of a bright gree under the hood on the hinges and on the firewall as well as in the trunk and on the rear package shelf.
I'm enclosing some pics of the car so y'all can see just what the car is. The car does run but the engine sounds as though it has been modded quite a bit as it has a very loppy idle.
The owner of the car came over and after learning this car is indeed a '71 Roadrunner, he told me about a '73 he's got that has been in storage for the past 10 years. We went to look at that car and found it buried under a ton of boxes and covered in about an inch of dust. The garage the car was in was very dark and I couldn't get any decent pics due to the fact I had run out of memory space on my camera taking a ton of pics of the '71. Anyways, the guy has new N.O.S. fender trim moldings, headlight bezels, rear full 1/4's and all the original doucmentation for the '73, including the original purchase order. He's the 3rd owner of the car. He also has extra doors and other miscellaneous parts for the car as well that would go with it.
He priced the '71 Roadrunner at $4500 and the '73 at $6500 including all the parts and an extra '73 Bird that is only good for parts due to the massive rust the car has.
My question is, which car would be worth the money? As you can see from the pics of the '71, it needs a total restoration. Both 1/4's, fenders and doors need to be replaced as well as the inner fenders and the driver's floor also needs to be replaced. It needs alot of parts that aren't currently with the car to bring it back to original, which would be my goal. The '73 is complete. It's got a 400 with automatic transmission and console shift/bucket seats. It does need rockers and some 1/4 panel work, but it is all there and complete, which is a huge bonus. The '73 is E5 Red with white strobe stripes and black interior.
My question is, which car would you consider to be the best deal? I will be going back in a couple weeks to get a closer look at the '73 and to verify that all the original parts are there and the condition of the car underneath and so forth. The '71 appears to have come in Sassy Grass Green originally from what I can see in the various areas under and around the car. Just curious as to what your opinions are regarding both cars...

71Roadrunner041.jpg

71Roadrunner024.jpg

71Roadrunner014.jpg

71Roadrunner015.jpg

71Roadrunner001.jpg

Without seeing both cars it's kinda hard to say. But under most circumstances I'd probably go for the 71.

BUT....

that would depend on condition, options, and price.

Any chance you got fender tag info off of them?

Here are pics I took of the Fender tag and the VIN Number under the windshield. I let someone borrow my book that deciphers option codes of early Mopars, so if anyone can decipher the codes I would appreciate it.

71Roadrunner016.jpg

71Roadrunner017.jpg

71Roadrunner018.jpg

Cool. It's a Green Go car. B11 is 11" self adjust brakes. J45 is hood pins. J52 is inside hood release, M21 is drip rail moldings, I'm guessing that's an N41 which is dual exhaust, R11 is AM radio, and V1X is black vinyl top

How about a 74 Roadrunner clone with a 525 horse 440 in it?

Auto Transport Service
Back