• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The return of MAXIMVS...

Finally time for an update:
- Been a busy June, picked up a remote job I can work from home office but needed to travel (drove 1490 miles each way) to Nebraska (Brownville & Auburn) for training for the support job for Cooper Nuclear Station. Nice folks. Finished up early and returned home this last week. The job is scheduled through this year and into next spring but we'll see how that goes. Noting is for sure in the contract world.
- Still need to get the front end alignment on Max done, maybe this next week but the 4TH puts a crimp in things.
- Found a forged crank for the new engine build I'm doing. It's an original 426 wedge unit, standard and will probably clean it up 10/10. A friend had it squirreled away. Need to source new pistons, rods and rings and then I'm off to the build.
- Put a good compression gauge on as I almost blew my finger off rolling the motor to find #1 TDC - I suspected that I had more compression than I bargained for. 205psi - that works out to about 14:1. I suspect that the MW heads have been milled, I'll CC the chambers when I do the new engine build - these 286 heads are the early ones and should have been around 81cc's. That was with a 0.051" head gasket too on a 0.060" overbore. The pistons are zero decked. Oh well, it's airboat country here and AV gas is readily obtainable and not that much more than the 94 they sell. Sounds REALLY healthy, really pops.

Chuck (snook)

Half assed update:
- Still up here in the Great Corn Desert (Nebraska City) getting trained up. Will finish tomorrow and then home to Okeechobee after a 1500 mile drive in my new to me 2018 Durango R/T (this thing is fun). The Ram steering took a dump a few days before I was leaving and I had to scramble for a new ride to make it on time here.
- Finally found an old school guy to do the front end alignment and then I can start tooling around town.
- Starting on the new mill week after next...

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- FINALLY got the front end aligned, this guy is GOOD. Bob Noelke out of Ft. Pierce. Very fast work. The car is now streetable...
- Piecing together parts for the new mill... Got a standard bore high nickel block & forged crank (426W piece)
- Need to work on the throttle linkage, way too stiff
- The detailing starts, all the small stuff
- Going with a portable GPS unit as I don't have a speedometer (speedo parts have been deleted from the trans and the port has been blocked off).
- Attached pics of the car in street trim yesterday.

Chuck (snook)

20230904_100027.jpg

20230904_100039.jpg

20230904_100058.jpg

20230904_100110.jpg

20230904_100142.jpg

Updates:
- Took the car out on it's first shakedown trip to a local cruise in at O'Reilly's here in downtown Okeechobee about a 10 mile round trip. Ran great! Nice small get together, I added some pics below. I was the lone mopar when I left at 6pm.
- Gathering parts for the new mill I'm installing early next year, the high compression limits me some and I'm toning it down to 10.5 - 11.0 this time around.

Chuck (snook)

20231103_181345.jpg

20231103_181445.jpg

20231103_181504.jpg

20231103_181516.jpg

20231103_181528.jpg

20231103_181600.jpg

20231103_181656.jpg

20231103_181710.jpg

Mines at 10.5 with a 242@050 cam. My CNC stealths don’t flow that well so it runs great on 93. If I had TF 270s then my cylinder fill might have upped the effective CR. Has a malt shop rumble though. Your car is just off the charts awesome.

Updates, getting to the fine points now:
- Replacing my crappily self-installed (20 years ago) white headliner with a red headliner. The back window will need to be pulled for the first time in 60 years (this is 63 vintage as far as I know) I don't know what to expect...
- Bought a red package tray through Herb's Parts, looks great. It will be installed when the headliner is done.
- Carpets will be sorted out and made to look better... I installed them 20 years ago and it was OK for race car upholstery.
- All the interior trim work will be done mid-January, I'll update with pics when it's all done.
- Instrument cluster is non-functional as all instrumentation is AutoMeter now. I will be installing a GPS speedometer as the cable drive gearing is non-existent in the trans.

Chuck (snook)

- Replacing my crappily self-installed (20 years ago) white headliner with a red headliner. The back window will need to be pulled for the first time in 60 years (this is 63 vintage as far as I know) I don't know what to expect...
- Bought a red package tray through Herb's Parts, looks great. It will be installed when the headliner is done.
- Carpets will be sorted out and made to look better... I installed them 20 years ago and it was OK for race car upholstery.
- All the interior trim work will be done mid-January, I'll update with pics when it's all done.
- Instrument cluster is non-functional as all instrumentation is AutoMeter now. I will be installing a GPS speedometer as the cable drive gearing is non-existent in the trans.

Chuck (snook)
Been looking at mine lately and figuring what to do next.....and should get back to it in the next day or two.

Chuck (snook)
cant wait to see pics :thumbsup:

Updates:
- Got all the pieces necessary for the interior work. New red headliner, new red sun visors - salvaged pivot hardware in good shape but needs some clean up, new rear window seal/gasket (NOT cheap, sheesh. Steele Rubber is proud of their stuff but I admit it's GOOD stuff), new dome light assembly, salvaged dome light harness in good shape - lamp socket is really nice. Car goes in for the headliner middle of next month.
- Ordering a GPS speedo - works on 12vdc.
- Had to order a complete door window cat whisker set to get the missing snap-in pieces for the outer door skins. I have an almost complete Top Cat whisker set for a post car (missing the two pieces) if anyone needs the set. Let me know.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Pulled the rear glass today. As suspected it was the original glass and gasket. Was a bear to pull but came out intact. The channel is in perfect shape, no rust, so big sigh of relief there.
- Turned out that I didn't remove the dome light harness 20 years ago, just tucked it away and it's also in perfect shape.
- New sun visors ordered, salvaged sun visor mounts were dunked in Evaporust for a week and came out looking good. New nylon sun visor tips from Van's came in and they look good as well.
- Still on schedule for interior work end of this month.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Headliner and interior work pushed out to this next week due to some virus attacking the shop folks. Should be in the shop this Tuesday will find out Monday
- I'm undergoing a severe sciatica event right now. Been an issue since high school (LONG time ago) and it flares up every 10 years or so. This time I triggered it doing an awkward lift of a 50 pound box at a weird angle; I knew I f'd up as soon as I did it 3 weeks ago - been paying the price ever since. As we all know, the older we get the longer it takes to recover and I can attest to that.
- Still gathering parts for the new engine...

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Headliner and interior work pushed out to this next week due to some virus attacking the shop folks. Should be in the shop this Tuesday will find out Monday
- I'm undergoing a severe sciatica event right now. Been an issue since high school (LONG time ago) and it flares up every 10 years or so. This time I triggered it doing an awkward lift of a 50 pound box at a weird angle; I knew I f'd up as soon as I did it 3 weeks ago - been paying the price ever since. As we all know, the older we get the longer it takes to recover and I can attest to that.
- Still gathering parts for the new engine...

Chuck (snook)
Get better soon!

Not much for TV quackery. They push this strap with a ball sticking out. You put it on so ball puts pressure to nerves in the back knee a couple inch below knee. Ad says FDA approved. Maybe take a 2" ball and a bandage and make your own. In ad it's a miracle cure.:rolleyes: My mother had the same problem, had to carry her to move her and that was painful. Gook luck!

Last edited:
Updates:
- Finally getting over the back injury, at least I can stand and walk now.
- Need to get the car in the upholstery shop when they have a slot in the next few weeks
- Have a plan for the new engine now
- Been thinking about the trans. It's a fresh 1965 slip yoke push button full race unit now and I don't think that's going to work for a street driven car. I have a spare 1965 slip yoke push button trans and I'm thinking about having it rebuilt with later internals so I can use a later torque converter - I will probably re-use the PTC converter (loose but I like it that way) that I have and use the stock non-RMVB that's in it.

Chuck (snook)

Auto Transport Service
Back