• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The return of MAXIMVS...

Updates:
- Removed the mechanical fuel pump since there is no fuel pump eccentric on the cam.
- Installed a new Holley blue electric fuel pump with the matching regulator
- The car started up 1st try and sounds great, see links
- Have minor trans and valve cover leaks - need to order some better parts
- Still cleaning up the wiring, ongoing...

- YouTube

Chuck (snook)

Last edited:
Updates:
- Removed the mechanical fuel pump since there is no fuel pump eccentric on the cam.
- Installed a new Holley blue electric fuel pump with the matching regulator
- The car started up 1st try and sounds great, see links
- Have minor trans and valve cover leaks - need to order some better parts
- Still cleaning up the wiring, ongoing...

- YouTube

Chuck (snook)

You've got the videos set to private. Change them to public and copy the link.

- The rockers are hitting the valve cover baffles - I'll need to trim them, you can hear it - I was expecting this, no biggie.
- Trans pan bolts were loose, that was the biggest trans leak, fixed it. Need a better gasket, on order. Should begetting the new inmproved Hughes dipstick with a better seal on Monday.
- Need better 4 hole valve cover gaskets, on order.

Other than these small issues, everything went OK for a 1st time fire up. Sounds vicious in person, you can clearly hear the solid rollers rolling around in the exhaust note - these were uncorked, no mufflers.

Chuck (snook)

- The rockers are hitting the valve cover baffles - I'll need to trim them, you can hear it - I was expecting this, no biggie.
- Trans pan bolts were loose, that was the biggest trans leak, fixed it. Need a better gasket, on order. Should begetting the new inmproved Hughes dipstick with a better seal on Monday.
- Need better 4 hole valve cover gaskets, on order.

Other than these small issues, everything went OK for a 1st time fire up. Sounds vicious in person, you can clearly hear the solid rollers rolling around in the exhaust note - these were uncorked, no mufflers.

Chuck (snook)
Here are some pics of where the Isky ductile iron rockers are hitting the valve cover baffles, see attached. I'll be removing the baffles and use good breathers. This a 0.570 lift solid roller and Isky ductile iron rockers.

Chuck (snook)

DSC_8999.jpg

DSC_9000.jpg

DSC_9001.jpg

DSC_9002.jpg

DSC_9003.jpg

DSC_9004.jpg

DSC_9005.jpg

Last edited:
Updates (listening to the Jimi Hendrix Experience while I'm typing this along with copious quantities of Patron and Cuervo Gold):
- We survived Hurricane IAN here in Okeechobee but took some damage as we were in the hurricane zone since we were 4-5 miles west of Okeechobee. Luckily the boat and Savoy took no damage (ha) but the rest of our 1 acre was wrecked. This was a rough one...
- Since internet was down, I finished the fuel pump wiring and cleaned up the trunk wiring. Installed a 30A relay system and a circuit breaker.
- Removed the valve cover baffles to make some room for the rockers - they were hitting the baffles (see above posts). Just need to clean and re-paint the covers.
- Stripped and re-painted a three toggle switch panel, that's where the fuel pump power will come from. I installed separate fuse block and ground block in the trunk to facilitate this. See pics
- Tomorrow install the new Moroso trans pan gasket, Hughes trans dipstick and Moroso valve cover gaskets. Then fire up and check for leaks.

Chuck (snook)

20220929_194456.jpg

20220929_194502.jpg

20220929_194608.jpg

Updates (listening to the Jimi Hendrix Experience while I'm typing this along with copious quantities of Patron and Cuervo Gold):
- We survived Hurricane IAN here in Okeechobee but took some damage as we were in the hurricane zone since we were 4-5 miles west of Okeechobee. Luckily the boat and Savoy took no damage (ha) but the rest of our 1 acre was wrecked. This was a rough one...
- Since internet was down, I finished the fuel pump wiring and cleaned up the trunk wiring. Installed a 30A relay system and a circuit breaker.
- Removed the valve cover baffles to make some room for the rockers - they were hitting the baffles (see above posts). Just need to clean and re-paint the covers.
- Stripped and re-painted a three toggle switch panel, that's where the fuel pump power will come from. I installed separate fuse block and ground block in the trunk to facilitate this. See pics
- Tomorrow install the new Moroso trans pan gasket, Hughes trans dipstick and Moroso valve cover gaskets. Then fire up and check for leaks.

Chuck (snook)

View attachment 1350184

View attachment 1350185

View attachment 1350186
Were you on TV? Saw a guy interviewed with the last name Snook and thought if this thread. Glad you guys made it ok. Sorry about the damage.

Were you on TV? Saw a guy interviewed with the last name Snook and thought if this thread. Glad you guys made it ok. Sorry about the damage.

Nope, not me. Damage is normal in Florida during the hurricane season, no biggie. Snook is just my favorite fish to angle for.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Installed the Hughes B/RB trans dipstick to replace the OEM unit - it was leaking, a common malady. The Hughes unit is a quality piece with a full sleeve rubber sealing grommet. First slip the grommet in the trans housing and then insert the tube and bolt to the trans/engine bell. Perfect fit and tucks the dipstick against the rear of the block, a much improved design, BIG thumbs up from me. See attached pics.
- Found the source of my large trans leak - it was me. I never re-installed the 1/8" pipe plug on the parking cable housing. This caused a major leak as any fluid above the pan would immediately leak out through that hole. D'OH. Quick trip to Autozone for a pipe plug fixed it. I can't believe I did that, I was sure I installed the plug but obviously not.
- Installed the new Moroso 727 pan steel core gasket to replace the thin OEM cork gasket, perfect fit and will provide better reusable sealing.
- Cleaned and painted the valve covers with 62-65 MW OER paint, looks great. New 63-64 Stage II decals on order. I couldn't save the old decals, Brake Kleen did a number on them when I was cleaning and degreasing. See pics.
- Installed the new Moroso valve cover steel core gaskets; these are 6 bolt hole gaskets and require trimming to work with the 4 bolt hole valve covers. Easy job and will provide much better reusable sealing.
- Finished the emergency brake cable adjustments.
- Still finishing the wiring...

Chuck (snook)

20221001_213636.jpg

20221001_213712.jpg

20221001_213720.jpg

20221001_215308.jpg

20221001_215320.jpg

Updates:
- Still working on the wiring and fuse blocks. This is turning into more of a chore than I was anticipating. I'm deleting the OEM fuse block as I only need one circuit to do what I need to do. I plan on using a aftermarket AC/heater system, so that removes a lot of the original fuse block loads. I'm using a 12 circuit blade fuse (ATC/ATO) instead of that glass tube fuse OEM block. Basically, the instrument cluster is there for cosmetic purposes, it serves no purpose as I won't be even using the speedometer... I have AutoMeter gauges for water temp, oil pressure, voltage and fuel tank level... and I'll be using a removable GPS unit for speed and directions for my feeble old *** when dementia leaves me in the boondocks...

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Still working on the wiring and fuse blocks. This is turning into more of a chore than I was anticipating. I'm deleting the OEM fuse block as I only need one circuit to do what I need to do. I plan on using a aftermarket AC/heater system, so that removes a lot of the original fuse block loads. I'm using a 12 circuit blade fuse (ATC/ATO) instead of that glass tube fuse OEM block. Basically, the instrument cluster is there for cosmetic purposes, it serves no purpose as I won't be even using the speedometer... I have AutoMeter gauges for water temp, oil pressure, voltage and fuel tank level... and I'll be using a removable GPS unit for speed and directions for my feeble old *** when dementia leaves me in the boondocks...

Chuck (snook)
Lol. You'll be the coolest old codger in the home.

Updates:
- Pressurized the brake system with 15 psi air... ARGHH, I have a leak somewhere. Not obvious but pressure is bleeding off somewhere. Time for some dish washing liquid and water in a spray bottle and look for bubbles. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get a first time pass... Finally putting the Motive Power bleeder to use that I bought some years ago, works great.
- Mounted the BlueSeas 12 circuit ATC/ATO fuse block and used some MSD 6AL box mounting rubber insulators, came out slick.
- Finished the instruments (tach/shift light, oil press, water temp, voltage and fuel tank level) wiring, fuel pump and instrument lights wiring, works great. Working on modifying the OEM dash wiring harness now.
- Need to finish the line lock and inline brake light pressure switch wiring, hopefully done this weekend.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Managed to damage myself severely with a left shin and ankle sprain. Getting old is a bitch. That was a week ago and I'm just now able to hobble around a bit, it was BAD. I think I broke something (for the 1st time in my life) and it's taking some time to heal up but I'm getting there.
- Anyway... Found the brake system leaks and fixed them. Was loose compression fittings and once they were snugged up, problem solved. Bled the system using the Motive Power bleeder and it was a piece of cake, no muss no fuss. Great brake pedal, so that's a major milestone accomplished. The complete brake system was replaced.
- Tested the brake light pressure switch, works great. Will be wired in this weekend I hope.
- Wired in the fuel cell tank level and ground. Looks and works great.
- Planning on finishing up the wiring this weekend.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Mounted the fuel gauge and voltmeter panel, clean install using the fuse block mounting screws
- Installed/mounted the new Moroso coolant catch can. Had to fab a bit as for some unknown reason the radiator neck nipple was pointing towards the engine. Used a 45* 1/8" NPT fitting and got it pointing the right way towards the catch can nipple.
- Wiring finish up tomorrow (hopefully)
- Filled the trans yesterday... NO LEAKS. Great sealing at the dipstick to trans, that Hughes locking dipstick is doing the job.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- I managed to find a REALLY nice red steering wheel to replace my wrecked one with - this is a RARE occurrence. It's not new looking which is what I was looking for as a new one would make the rest of my interior look like ****. Not cheap but exactly what I was looking for and saves me a bunch of $$$ over having mine restored and looking out of place.
- Removed the steering wheel to replace the turn signal switch. No problem. Couldn't find my new turn signal switch after turning the garage upside down = BIG problem. Broke down and ordered a new TS switch. I know that I'll find the lost switch this week sometime...
- Placed all the small horn switch parts in a plastic bag, was very careful with this... went to move some parts off the peg board and promptly dumped all of that bags contents on the bench, floor and various parts boxes. ARGHH! Located most of them but ended up spending $26 on the horn plate insulated screws...
- Fished the old TS switch out and left a wire to fish the new TS switch leads. My setup is an early 1963 and uses the flat terminals and not the readily available round connectors. Luckily the flat terminals are back in production at $107... ARGHH!
- Had dog duty the rest of the day while the squawk was grocery shopping and that's it for now.
- Oh yeah. Ordered a new Inline Tubes trans line kit. The Fine Lines kit was a horrible fit and I couldn't stand to look at it. I hope this one goes better...

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- I managed to find a REALLY nice red steering wheel to replace my wrecked one with - this is a RARE occurrence. It's not new looking which is what I was looking for as a new one would make the rest of my interior look like ****. Not cheap but exactly what I was looking for and saves me a bunch of $$$ over having mine restored and looking out of place.
- Removed the steering wheel to replace the turn signal switch. No problem. Couldn't find my new turn signal switch after turning the garage upside down = BIG problem. Broke down and ordered a new TS switch. I know that I'll find the lost switch this week sometime...
- Placed all the small horn switch parts in a plastic bag, was very careful with this... went to move some parts off the peg board and promptly dumped all of that bags contents on the bench, floor and various parts boxes. ARGHH! Located most of them but ended up spending $26 on the horn plate insulated screws...
- Fished the old TS switch out and left a wire to fish the new TS switch leads. My setup is an early 1963 and uses the flat terminals and not the readily available round connectors. Luckily the flat terminals are back in production at $107... ARGHH!
- Had dog duty the rest of the day while the squawk was grocery shopping and that's it for now.
- Oh yeah. Ordered a new Inline Tubes trans line kit. The Fine Lines kit was a horrible fit and I couldn't stand to look at it. I hope this one goes better...

Chuck (snook)
Great progress so far! I used inline tubes for my brake lines and they fit perfectly. And I have to tear the garage up looking for **** daily. That's what happens when you own a bunch of ****. Lol.

Examined the dash harness before I installed it. Glad I did, see pics. All fixed now though.

Chuck (snook)

20221018_153427.jpg

20221018_153441.jpg

20221018_155347.jpg

20221018_155356.jpg

20221018_155402.jpg

20221018_155407.jpg

20221018_161719.jpg

20221018_161723.jpg

Oh yeah, this stuff was hidden under the tape...

Chuck (snook)

Auto Transport Service
Back