• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Roach

The Dutchman panel was removed today and some unexpected rusty ugliness was discovered underneath it. :eek:

Fortunately, the "lower rear window frame" and "deck filler panel lower plenum" are in stock from AMD and if they ship them out tomorrow, I should have them some time next week.

Oh well, what can you do?

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Fortunately

The Dutchman panel was removed today and some unexpected rusty ugliness was discovered underneath it. :eek:

Fortunately, the "lower rear window frame" and "deck filler panel lower plenum" are in stock from AMD and if they ship them out tomorrow, I should have them some time next week.

View attachment 1581022

View attachment 1581024
Fortunately
Well spotted......most people would just mud over that. :thumbsup:

Even my V code R/T from California had rust issues around the rear window. The car never saw salt!

Well spotted......most people would just mud over that. :thumbsup:
No doubt, a lot of guys would whip out the POR15 for that and call it a day. Personally, I would lose sleep over covering it up and would be replacing it just like RC is doing.

Old car metal work is like re-habbing an old house. Once the siding is off, surprises begin.

You are doing the right thing. Now is the time to make the body as good as you can so you won't soon be doing bodywork again in the future.

I told @eldubb440 when he did my car that I wanted NO RUST left on my car and that I didn't want rust bleeding through seams in a few years. I even asked him to POR 15 the metal structure under the quarters when he had them off. It has been 9 years now, and so far, the car has survived well, despite the miles I put on it in all kinds of weather.

You are doing the right thing. Now is the time to make the body as good as you can so you won't soon be doing bodywork again in the future.

I told @eldubb440 when he did my car that I wanted NO RUST left on my car and that I didn't want rust bleeding through seams in a few years. I even asked him to POR 15 the metal structure under the quarters when he had them off. It has been 9 years now, and so far, the car has survived well, despite the miles I put on it in all kinds of weather.

You trusted eldubb to work on your car? :lol:

1703876199907.png

RC could end up in one of the piers in the Meadowlands if he didn't let dubb do the car!

Been cleaning up some of the parts. Refinished the silver inside the taillight housings with bright aluminum paint....
thumbnail (1).jpg

...and put them back together. The seat tracks have been done for a while.
thumbnail (3).jpg

All the other exterior lamps have been cleaned up & I repainted the silver on front parking lamps. The front side marker housings are in excellent shape, but the rears are pitted. A pair of repro ones are on order. Of course, all new bulbs will be used.
thumbnail (15).jpg

I've got to give a compliment to Detroit Muscle Technologies. Their body gaskets are one of the few repro parts that are 100% correct.

Wow, super service from AMD. I ordered the two panels on Thursday late in the day & they just got delivered today, Sunday.

:thumbsup:

Been cleaning up some of the parts. Refinished the silver inside the taillight housings with bright aluminum paint....
View attachment 1582236

...and put them back together. The seat tracks have been done for a while.
View attachment 1582237

All the other exterior lamps have been cleaned up & I repainted the silver on front parking lamps. The front side marker housings are in excellent shape, but the rears are pitted. A pair of repro ones are on order. Of course, all new bulbs will be used.
View attachment 1582238

I've got to give a compliment to Detroit Muscle Technologies. Their body gaskets are one of the few repro parts that are 100% correct.
If you decide those lamp lenses don't cut the rest of level of detail Mike has these on sale and would probably do better on price if you called. Nice with all the OE markings...

70-74 Challenger 70 Charger parking light lenses OE PERFECT | eBay

Auto Transport Service
Back