The sad demise of American car culture

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
One thing I suggest is when you're walking through a show and shine/cruise in whatever with your buddies. Take a minute to ask the young guy with the Ricer that is standing all alone something about his car. I always find these guys respectful and shocked that an old guy with an out of reach car (how he feels anyway) shows interest in his ride, you usually can't shut these guys up and they will always acknowledge you after that.
We as carguys were a bit of an outcast back in the 70's but it's much worse now, it's up to us to keep the interest up and the enthusiasts united.
Yeah, I can ask if it's a GTO. lol

Runcharger

Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
My son is 28 and has owned this car for 3 years. Of course he actually has a trade and works, bought his own house when he was 21 too. His friends are active with cars and JOBS as well. None of them live with their parents spending all their time on their phones.
I think alot of kids aren't brought up right these days. My parents didn't bring me up telling me I was entitled and could just do whatever made me happy. I was brought up to earn what you want and to go where the work was, whether that was out of town, working on weekends, doing the odd shitty job or whatever. I think there are a lot of young people mommied to death these days and it shows in the results.
Another thing, whenever my son had his friends over I would take whatever opportunity I could and take them for rides in the Road Runner or Hemi Coronet, it's our job to bring them into the culture and build the interest.

charger26.JPG

Last edited:

sam dupont

Local time
4:59 PM
Reaction score
I had a chance to teach a Technology Class for Middle Schoolers. It was a school challenged by poor attendance. I thought about it seriously. Enough, that I came up with the idea to build a go-kart from scratch as part of the class. With a minimum attendance record, there would be race days in the parking lot the last few days of school.

XS22J8R

Local time
Reaction score
I don’t know how it is in other parts of the country, but here the evening cruise nights are mostly populated with middle aged people.
The cars and coffee Saturday morning type events on the other hand, are mostly young people. Most of them drooling over exotics, but those are cars too, and these events are very popular.
A couple doors down there’s a teen living there and I see a late model Mustang GT in the driveway often and sometimes a Challenger parked out front, which I assume are the kids friends.
I hate to think what those kids pay for insurance!
We have a tendency to lump everyone together in groups, which is wrong. Of all the middle aged people I know at work and family etc what % are interested in special interest cars? 1, maybe 2%? I guess that means no one is interested in cars!?
If 1-2% of teens and young adults are interested in cars, nothing much has changed right? It doesn’t matter that the other 98% are not interested in cars.

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Seems kids of Dad’s who are/were DIY’s gravitate to be similar, thinking of the younger gen people I know who are talented DIY types. Then know some who aren’t. No knock to them; but it bugs me to have shops – contractors do work I can do. You know, something goes to crap with the car or house and some are totally helpless in the meantime. Example is the built-in oven door when to crap, it was a hinge requiring taking apart/removing the door and such and ordering a replacement hinge. Friend of mine, a no fix-it type guy, says I would have just bought a new oven. WDH? Same deal when the built-in stove crapped out. Bought a new one at an appliance store and installed it after finding out replacing some of the parts for it would be as expensive as getting a new one. Some don’t want the hassle of doing the labor even though they could do the job and others just couldn’t imagine doing the job. Then I have friends that are handier yet than I am, some much younger. Now at my age, there are some jobs I won’t do anymore that at one time wouldn’t hesitate to do; but bugs me I have to let it be done. Remember my elders having to give up some chores as da body just isn't as capable anymore, like my dad when he could no longer crawl under the cabinet to replace a skanked faucet watching me do it, when used to be me watching him.

Xp29h

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
I would love to know some kid that was interested in these classics. I have years of knowledge and parts that I could share.
It would be awesome for them to learn from you I’m sure. If you have the chance start a club at local JR high or HS. I’ve been thinking about that here..

Surprisingly many kids at school go crazy over the Charger when I take it. They surprise the hell out me! Knowing many of these young kids like I do, I would say now way in hell are they into these old classics but they are. They know what year it is, make, model, etc. They ask about the engine, what I’ve done to it all that good stuff. At first I was concerned about taking it but not now. It’s opened up great conversations and chances to teach them some stuff. I’ve written passes for them to get out of a study hall to come down and teach them some stuff they don’t see today. it’s been pretty cool!

It may not be as obvious as it once was, but many of these kids still love the old cars!

Garceau

Local time
Reaction score
On the flip side of this argument.....

Last night I was sitting by my 66. An older fella mid 70s walked up and asked what it has for a motor.

I replied 440 (it's a stroked 440 but snyways)

He said "nope, too fast for me" and turned around and walked away..... I was left a little dumbfounded

patrick66

Local time
Reaction score
I like car shows for several reasons. One of which is getting the little kids to experience the fun of an old car. If a young family with little kids (as opposed to feral cats on crack!) comes up to my car and show respect by not touching or crawling on it, I'll offer the parents a chance for their kids to get in and look around. Have them take a couple of pics so they can have a nice reminder of the day! There was this eight-year-old girl that was just oooh-ing and ahhh-ing my Imperial convertible at a recent show. I asked her if she wanted to sit in the driver seat and have her Mom take a pic of her at the wheel. The girl was all over that idea, so I opened the door while her Mom took a few pictures. The kid was so excited! I smiled, her mother thanked me for the opportunity, and they went on their way. Maybe I got her hooked into old cars, who knows? It was a fun day.

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
I like car shows for several reasons. One of which is getting the little kids to experience the fun of an old car. If a young family with little kids (as opposed to feral cats on crack!) comes up to my car and show respect by not touching or crawling on it, I'll offer the parents a chance for their kids to get in and look around. Have them take a couple of pics so they can have a nice reminder of the day! There was this eight-year-old girl that was just oooh-ing and ahhh-ing my Imperial convertible at a recent show. I asked her if she wanted to sit in the driver seat and have her Mom take a pic of her at the wheel. The girl was all over that idea, so I opened the door while her Mom took a few pictures. The kid was so excited! I smiled, her mother thanked me for the opportunity, and they went on their way. Maybe I got her hooked into old cars, who knows? It was a fun day.
That is a nice idea. On rare occasions I’ve had people ask to sit in my car and never turned them down. Often find grampa’s holding their grandkids up to look inside the car as my ’63 has the pushbutton trans and grandpa is reminiscing about when he or his folks had one or remembered them in his youth. Something these kids likely have never seen or knew about. Same deal with a 4-speed. The concern of course is doing some damage or getting something scuffed, about the only thing I could imagine being a bitch is grabbing the turn signal lever breaking it off, lol.

Anyway, yes can imagine how it might make a kid’s, or their parent’s day at a car show to take a few photos of their kid in an old ride. Never gave it a thought. I have a pic of my daughter when she around 3 sitting in the driver’s seat of the Vette shortly before I sold it. When I come across that photo every few years, I still get a kick looking at it.

Cheapsunglasses

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
That is a nice idea. On rare occasions I’ve had people ask to sit in my car and never turned them down. Often find grampa’s holding their grandkids up to look inside the car as my ’63 has the pushbutton trans and grandpa is reminiscing about when he or his folks had one or remembered them in his youth. Something these kids likely have never seen or knew about. Same deal with a 4-speed. The concern of course is doing some damage or getting something scuffed, about the only thing I could imagine being a bitch is grabbing the turn signal lever breaking it off, lol.

Anyway, yes can imagine how it might make a kid’s, or their parent’s day at a car show to take a few photos of their kid in an old ride. Never gave it a thought. I have a pic of my daughter when she around 3 sitting in the driver’s seat of the Vette shortly before I sold it. When I come across that photo every few years, I still get a kick looking at it.
That’s what it’s all about, screw the money game, numbers game, all that BS, if you make a kid, or any age persons day, or your day by looking, driving, or riding, you’ve done it right.