• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The spare tire dilemma

Spend upwards of $800 to rechrome a bumper and then risk bending and scratching it with the factory jack?

01 face 4.gif

On a finished car, the bumpers are as precious as the paint!
I keep a small trolley floor jack in my car but may switch to a scissor type to cut a few lbs. I'm close to 3980 even with some aluminum engine and brake parts.

I like to drive the car distances where the cell phone service may be spotty. I need to be self reliant. You should too.

15" wheels won't clear my brakes so I got a spare from a late model Charger.
Yeah...the bolt pattern is slightly different but for a situation where I'd drive maybe 20 miles at low speeds, it will be fine.

Spare 1.jpg
Spare 2.jpg

It is an 18" wheel, 4" wide. It fits and clears...and takes up half the space of the full sized spare I had before.

Last edited:
Spend upwards of $800 to rechrome a bumper and then risk bending and scratching it with the factory jack?

View attachment 1552894

On a finished car, the bumpers are as precious as the paint!
I keep a small trolley floor jack in my car but may switch to a scissor type to cut a few lbs. I'm close to 3980 even with some aluminum engine and brake parts.

I like to drive the car distances where the cell phone service may be spotty. I need to be self reliant. You should too.

15" wheels won't clear my brakes so I got a spare from a late model Charger.
Yeah...the bolt pattern is slightly different but for a situation where I'd drive maybe 20 miles at low speeds, it will be fine.

View attachment 1552895View attachment 1552896

It is an 18" wheel, 4" wide. It fits and clears...and takes up half the space of the full sized spare I had before.
Two of those would make hell burnouts......just saying.... :rofl:

They would make marks as wide as a Sharpie pen a mile long!
1699347429482.png

When I was spending all that time with my brakes and trying to get the wheels to lock up, I was in a spot....I didn't want to flat spot my sticky 18" 100 treadwear tires so I considered swapping on a different set. 15" wheels do clear the rear brakes but not the front. I was considering a pair of these spacesaver spares to test the front but instead, I bought a brake pressure gauge.

I agree on the scissors jack.

They are relatively easy to find and relatively cheap.

Plus they support the weight WAY better than an OEM hook jack, and are MUCH safer.

Also can be used under the axle in the rear to speed time getting to a workable height, if your tires will clear the arches that way.

Dam Ed I havent had a spare tire in the Bee since I bought it. I roll the dice every time I take it out because I dont think about it. . I stay local but I plan on getting a spare for it. And why do you keep changing your icon?
No idea why you'd ask that.... :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back