• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is a hole in my oil pan!

Derv

Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
Just a small hole, looks like from dragging the motor around on the concrete. Can this be fixed? Should it be fixed?

Has been out of a car for a long time, it is a low sump pan from a 361, not easy to come by.

speed bumps are hard on low oil pans and headers. yes the pan can be fixed. yes should be fixed...why keep leaking oil.

Many a people have used jb weld to fix holes and things in the past. Good Luck

that's one way to keep your oil fresh , you're forced to keep adding !

weld it up don't braze it , if your braze once that all up can do . brazing is one step up from soldering . weld it up and you can do anything that you want then . even braze it , lol .

Logo_Outlined_300x.png

Yep, just weld it. I've welded 2 pans, no issue.

this is a remake from a center sump oem pan , changed n welded the **** out of it ! i'm not a great welder , but they never leak have i'm done . this was mig tact then just gas welded so i can deal with pin holes .
DSC03529.JPG
DSC03531.JPG
DSC03538.JPG
DSC03542.JPG
DSC03717.JPG

weld it up don't braze it , if your braze once that all up can do . brazing is one step up from soldering . weld it up and you can do anything that you want then . even braze it , lol .
The OP said there was a hole from abrasion, suggesting that there's a thin spot in the sheetmetal. Brazing is an easy, effective way of mending this type of hole without excessive heat or risking blowing through with a welder. Even if a person doesn't have a welder, this is something that can be done with a propane torch.

I like welding, and did it for decades on the railway. However there are times when other methods can do the job well.

if its so thin it should be replaced with another piece of metal . as you can see pans have no issue with welding on them . if you know how welding works . thin metal heated can break from engine vibrations even at brazing temps . and brazing is not a good crack repair matl , as i said one step up from soldering , it only bounds , its not marriage . just the way i was tot never do less then is needed for the repair tobe done correctly . just old school i guess .

the further the oil is from the crank n rods the better for cooling it off . it will hold 6-8 quarts easy . its a driver , lol .
DSC04021.JPG
DSC03270.JPG
DSC03746.JPG

the further the oil is from the crank n rods the better for cooling it off . it will hold 6-8 quarts easy . its a driver , lol .
man you should at least tighten down that intake. it looks like that vehicle was pulled up with the rest of the artifacts from the Titanic LOL!

I run 8 quart pans on all my hipo motors. .i do have to watch certain dips in the roads since my pan will scuff the ground if the suspension moves enough but worth the extra oil capacity

I run the big super stock hole for the steering link pan in my 64 plymouth street car. No, its not jacked up in the air. I do have big aluminum blocks on the lower control arms that the bump stops mount on. My experience with deep pans is a well made steel pan can take quite a pounding. They will bend alot before they leak. Only time one gushed oil was when the asphalt caught the drain plug and popped the whole thing open. That was a home made pan and a learning experience.

Auto Transport Service
Back