• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermoquad air flap spring issue

Had a 73 challenger 340 rally and when the secondary opened it was all business and i have never had another carb sound so throaty.

Just goes to show that he really doesnt want our help after all. I offered to help him too but he didn’t take me up on it. Kim
Hey guys. I haven't been on the website in a while. Busy with work and stuff. haven't got around to fixing the carb issue yet. I live in Canada and don't have a heated garage so might have to wait until spring to fix it. Won't be driving it in the snow anyway. I do appreciate all the advice and offers of help from everyone on here, please don't think I am not appreciative. Anyway, I will let you all know how it works out for me. Thanks

So i finally got around to fixing the spring issue. Took me a while to figurenout how to remove the carb. Brome one of the plastic jets off the bottom but glued it back on. Fished the air flap spring out of the float bowl. Reinstalled it. Put everything back together. Car runs like ****. Stalls, backfires. Absolutley no power. Takes 2 mins to get to 60mph and hard to keep.it there. Smoke coming out of carb. And fuel leaking out of the bottom of carb on driver side. I think i am in over my head and will have to take it to a garage or a back yard garage guy in town. Thanks for all your advice though.

Having a leak could point to a couple of issues. You might be lucky and find that the screws holding the body and base together are loose and just need tightening. Unfortunately, people sometimes tighten these screws too much, causing a hairline crack in the plastic. The bowls may also warp and cause vacuum leaks which will make the carb run like crap if you can get it started.

1 of the O rings could of came out of place or gotten lost when he had the top off. Sounds like that’s what it is. That will cause a gas leak and cause it to flood and run like crap. These O rings sit in the bowl under the 2 screws in the center. Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back