• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermoquad rebuild!

Is there a board member that's a TQ expert and that can rebuild a one for a fee?
They are really not all that hard to do. Gotta make sure the fuel bowl isn't warped is one of the first things to check and getting the secondary air door adjusted right if you don't want to end up with a Thermo'bog'. Having the special adjuster tool is nice but it can be done without it. The air door opening too fast is what creates the bog....and just because you have someone build it for you, it still has to be dialed in once on the car. That's usually the hard part.

One of the most common problem with TQs that have been apart is the o rings. Two black o rings that sit in the plastic bowl. Hard to see, often get forgotten or fall out.
Result is flooding.

Agreed. I have seen them with weird problems and deduced that was the issue.

One of the most common problem with TQs that have been apart is the o rings. Two black o rings that sit in the plastic bowl. Hard to see, often get forgotten or fall out.
Result is flooding.
Also don't bead blast them! lol. I did one because it was pretty cruddy and was being care not to direct the nozzle at the sensitive areas but the glass beads got into it anyways....took me 3 times trying to clean it out. Only had to concentrate on one side though. Had 4 cold cylinders and just noted what ones they were and looked at what side of the carb fed those cylinders though the dual plane intake. Had there been an open plenum intake on it....probably would have taken me longer to figure it out. :screwy:

Auto Transport Service
Back