• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat?

Should you run a thermostat on a stock big block Summer only

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pjm8047

Local time
12:01 PM
Reaction score
Should a cooling system have a thermostat if it’s a summer vehicle only?

You need to run a thermostat or at the least run a restrictor in place of a thermostat at all times of the year. At one time Moroso sold a set of restrictors that you could use for racing that replaced the thermostat.

The thermostat allows a car to warm up to operating temperature as quickly as possible. If it's working properly it won't make an engine that's running too hot run any hotter.

Get a high flow thermostat, like the Stewart brand from Summit. A thermostat set the minimum temp, not the maximum.

People think cooler is better but it isn't.
The engine is designed to run at 180 - 190.
Too cold = wear.
I would suggest an intake manifold heat crossover blocking valley pan.
Really cool car you have I'd like to see it sometime.
That is one to keep entirely original as much as possible.

People think cooler is better but it isn't.
The engine is designed to run at 180 - 190.
Too cold = wear.
I would suggest an intake manifold heat crossover blocking valley pan.
Really cool car you have I'd like to see it sometime.
That is one to keep entirely original as much as possible.
Agreed. Too cool and the fuel will pool in the intake. Higher temps atomize the fuel better. I personally run a 195

Sorry I've just noticed I voted No instead of Yes, what a dumbass!

You have to run one, coolant would travel to fast through radiator, and not loose it's heat.

I run my cooling system at 205; best thing I ever did. But the rest of your system better be up for it.

Always use a T stat.
Why? The stat warms the engine to running temp quickly.
Pistons don't fully expand. Untill they reach 190.
So,a 190 stat would be the stat to run
Heres reason. 2 .,ever see a enginge that gets milky like oil. Under the oil,cap. . Thats a engine not warming up completely and condensating internally.

Just installed a new high flow 160 thermostat per a school mopar mechanic I use for some of my work that I get done. Vehicle runs great. Does any know if mopar back in the day only used high flow thermostats only? I have a 70-71 parts manual and googled all the mopar part numbers for thermostats and all the thermostats look like high flow stats.

Just installed a new high flow 160 thermostat per a school mopar mechanic I use for some of my work that I get done. Vehicle runs great. Does any know if mopar back in the day only used high flow thermostats only? I have a 70-71 parts manual and googled all the mopar part numbers for thermostats and all the thermostats look like high flow stats.

So after getting the opinions of (+-)7 members, all saying run a thermostat of 180-195*, you go with the recommendation of 1 guy, and install a 160*? Picture a head scratch here. When all else fails, check out what Mopar recommended from the factory. IMO, 160* is the wrong choice... BTW, all else being equal, the opening temperature of a thermostat does not make an engine run good or bad...

Auto Transport Service
Back