• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking to put a new gas tank in my 66 Satellite.

Fran Blacker

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:27 AM
Reaction score
The vent tube grommet leaks if I have more than 15/16 gallons in the tank. I have an NOS tank to replace it but wondering if buying a new stainless tank with vent welded in would be better?
Another question are NOS sender gaskets any good with todays gas?

If it was me i would put the NOS tank in if it's in good shape.
Not so sure about using NOS gaskets at all.

Based on mine and several FBBO member friends experiences, I would go with your NOS or a tank from Tanks Inc. Stainless not required, which is big bucks and not really necessary. Have a vent line added - it's not that difficult to have a shop do it.

If the sender gasket is rubber, it's likely not ethanol safe (good question). I'm not sure on the cork gaskets, but I think it's preferred and what is on my Spectra repop tank.

I've had 2 new tanks in my '67. I don't remember name of 1st company but the "vent" tube was soldered in and found out it broke the solder while struggling to put to rubber hose on it. Leaked like crazy. 2nd tank has an in-tank pump from Aeromotive, also soldered in "vent" tube. I took more precautions putting rubber hose on it. 1-1/2 yrs and no issues.

Sell the NOS tank and buy a new one, they are Fine. Yes original sender gaskets work great, it’s all I use on my cars, no problems.

The vent tube grommet leaks if I have more than 15/16 gallons in the tank. I have an NOS tank to replace it but wondering if buying a new stainless tank with vent welded in would be better?
Another question are NOS sender gaskets any good with todays gas?
If the tanks fine, why not just change the grommets and be done? If it ain't broke don't mess with it if you don't have to. At 15/16's of a tank that's almost a full tank, why not stop at 3/4's when you fill it? Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

If the tanks fine, why not just change the grommets and be done? If it ain't broke don't mess with it if you don't have to. At 15/16's of a tank that's almost a full tank, why not stop at 3/4's when you fill it? Just my 2 cents. Good Luck
Changed it years ago. You need remove vent tube. Two straps welded to tank before they weld top and bottom. had quite hooking vent tube and running a wire around tube and soldering holes shut.

Auto Transport Service
Back