• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This changes things...

OP didn't say what the dash VIN says.

Interesting that the door sticker says RM, even though the door looks like it belongs to the car, IE not repainted to match.

That suggests the car may be a RR but without a correct title.

More info needed from the OP.

To me, that cluster did look loose in the dash from the pic, not to mention the odd speedo swap.

OP didn't say what the dash VIN says.

Interesting that the door sticker says RM, even though the door looks like it belongs to the car, IE not repainted to match.

That suggests the car may be a RR but without a correct title.

More info needed from the OP.

To me, that cluster did look loose in the dash from the pic, not to mention the odd speedo swap.
That's why I said IF. I did not see a outer left door photo.

Screenshot_20240217-083026_Message+.jpg

Even if the dash VIN matches the title, that makes it a "gray area" car if the body stampings don't match the title/VIN.

Just trying to alert the OP of potential issues.

...some of which may only surface if he ever tries to sell the car...of haven forbid his heirs do.

The firewall is white from the factory. The underside of the hood eas not. They did a poor tape job on the driver door vin. Obviously not white from the factory. Hopefully the dash vin matches the title. I'll find out later today.

Screenshot_20240217-084550_Message+.jpg

14736.jpeg

Screenshot_20240217-083026_Message+.jpg

Thank you all for the input and encouragement. I may ask where to find additional vin locations when I pick up the car. My brother-in-law is eager to help but is in his mid 80s and I've already asked enough.

You can go to 1970 hamstramck historical and look up the door panel and seat offering for your car. Usually the door panel is unique for the seat style. The bench seat with the door panel you have should be correct. If your car had a buckets it would have a different door panel. Also there was a bench with a fold down armrest...it had different door panels as well.
It looks like a great car...not much in terms of aftermarket parts are available. Finding one in good shape is important! This appears to be that! The sales brochure even appears to be the same color of interior. It was optional in either a satellite or a RR. It appears to me the car might be a satellite and got hood and door installed of a roadrunner...judging by the paint. It wouldn't matter much to me..it's still a great car. If you want to dig deeper compare vins with the radiator support. Hopefully the dash vin and title matches. The door vin is just a decal.

Screenshot_20240217_100702_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Not that it matters is there a fender tag? There are hidden VIN numbers I am not sure where on the 71 and newer. Others will chime in.

Not that it matters is there a fender tag? There are hidden VIN numbers I am not sure where on the 71 and newer. Others will chime in.
I will be a little nervous for the next 2-1/2 months when I finally see the car in person and am able to see what I really have. By then I'll have owned it for almost 5 months. I am trying to be glass half full until then. Thanks again, B.

Some states have a process to correct title issues with a limit to one digit in a vin. I could see a clerical error with an M and H looking the same with shaky handwriting. Like a B and 8.

Okay. Silly question. The door vin tag on my car is RM21G3G and the title is Rh23G3R. Shouldn't both have the same third and fourth digit on the vin? Unless of course the RM door came from a car with fixed rear glass. Would that be correct?

Have you spoken to the previous owner to get the history of the car?

Well I guess old Uncle Tony may need to update his data base.
Who cares what Uncle Baloney says? IMHO you got a great deal even if the car is not quite what you thought @Just Call Me B . :thumbsup:

Certified speedometer brings a swap into question for sure....and the RH & RM mix-up is probably common when folk couldn't get what they wanted, so they jazzed up what they had.

The body looks great, and you now have the platform to build the car the way you want it. Don't take any notice of the Self-imposed Internet Guru's.....most of them are so full of themselves they cannot see the truth for the BS they spout.

Okay, R= Satellite/Sebring
M= Medium price class, that being a RR. ("H" is high price class that being a Sport Satellite IIRC)
21= 2 door sedan coupe (23=2 door hard top)
G= 318 2 bar. carb.
3= 1973
G= St. Louis, MO ("R"=Widsor , ONT, Canda)
Last six are the production numbers

So are you saying that both these VINs have the same production numbers (that should never happen).

If the door VIN is completely different then the door probably came off a donor. No big deal as long as the dash VIN matches the title. For someone in the past to have swapped out the dash (with VIN attached) would be rare, possible but not probable.

If you are still worried just check the partial numbers on the radiator support (that should match the dash numbers).

That was a very good price you got that car for. Best of luck on your build. Any questions just ask, I have owned a few of these RR's.

Last edited:
Don't over think it...I think you have a 73 satellite Sebring hardtop that has the door, hood, and ralley dash from a road runner coupe.
If the 1/4 windows go up and down...that would be correct for a Sebring, RH23

The door vin is just a decal, I believe you can have reproductions made. Doors get swapped all the time...not a big deal.

The 318 roadrunner had factory dual exhaust the satellite Sebring did not. I am pretty sure all 73-74 roadrunner were coupes, rear 1/4 window was fixed. That is how my 73 rr is..Rm21.

Last edited:
I'd lay money that you have a Satellite Sebring hard top (RH23) that has had a Roar Runner (RM21) hood, driver's door, and rallye cluster swapped in.

If the tile matches the dash, and the body VIN locations (the radiator core support, and the cowl), for the RH23 car, you're good.

If the dash from the RR has been swapped in, you can still, logically be OK, and it could be rectified as easy as getting a reproduction VIN tag.

If the title is for the RR and the dash including the VIN has been swapped, that's a different story and will likely depend on your ethical views on a "body swap".

Last edited:
I'd lay money that you have a Satellite Sebring hard top (REH23) that has had a Roar Runner (RM21) hood, driver's door, and rallye cluster swapped in.

If the tile matches the dash, and the body VIN locations (the radiator core support, and the cowl), for the RH23 car, you're good.

If the dash from the RR has been swapped in, you can still, logically be OK, and it could be rectified as easy as getting a reproduction VIN tag.

If the title is for the RR and the dash including the VIN has been swapped, that's a different story and will likely depend on your ethical views on a "body swap".
Thanks again to all for the information and support. I very nicely asked a nephew to go over and take a picture of the dash tag Fender tag and core support. All match the title. I can breathe easy for a while.

Auto Transport Service
Back