• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This damn sway bar is still in my way. I don't want to die.

always have at least a 6 pack when working on your ride ...lol
Do you ever cross your spark plug wires or forget to put the rotor back in the distributor when doing a tuneup? Not that I've ever done that.....

You need a Pitman Arm puller

63684_I.jpg

If the OP doesn't know the difference between a center link and a sway bar and is afraid of dying when taking the steering linkage apart, he's in the wrong hobby & should either sell the car or let others tackle this project.

s600_Three_Stooges_Facepalm.jpg

If the OP doesn't know the difference between a center link and a sway bar and is afraid of dying when taking the steering linkage apart, he's in the wrong hobby & should either sell the car or let others tackle this project.

View attachment 642186

Hey, we all had to learn from the get go. And how many of us had to learn the hard way without anybody around to ask questions? How many were too stubborn to ask questions and really screwed up? The OP is willing to learn, he'll do fine!

Hey, we all had to learn from the get go. And how many of us had to learn the hard way without anybody around to ask questions? How many were too stubborn to ask questions and really screwed up? The OP is willing to learn, he'll do fine!

I'm just giving him a hard time. Would you expect no less from me? :D

I'm gonna say get someone to help that knows a little more to help coach you along. Trying something new is good but if you dont know where to safely put jackstands and are afraid of a tie rod flying off you are gonna really struggle resealing that oilpan leak. Not ripping-just saying get some help.

Ohhh felluz, It's OK to give me a hard time. Growing pains.

I'm not a fan of placing jackstands under there either but the manual has me avoiding any other part of the underbody.

"A regular floor jack may be used under the rear axle housing, or under the front suspension lower control arms; however, a floor jack must never be used on any parts of the underbody." -73 Dodge Chassis Service Manual

I gots this. I just need the proper tools.

Separated that linkage like a boss. First time doing one of those. Practice for when I replace bushings and boots later on. The pitman arm separator worked way better than the picklefork.

Unfortunately I am not much closer to the overall sucess of droping that blasted pan. Gonna go look at some threads.

As an added safety measure, when using Jack's and Jack stands, I've also placed the wheel/tire assembly under the vehicle.

Ohhh felluz, It's OK to give me a hard time. Growing pains.

I'm not a fan of placing jackstands under there either but the manual has me avoiding any other part of the underbody.

"A regular floor jack may be used under the rear axle housing, or under the front suspension lower control arms; however, a floor jack must never be used on any parts of the underbody." -73 Dodge Chassis Service Manual

I gots this. I just need the proper tools.
This is true...they are referring to any of the sheetmetal pans of the floor. The 'rail' from the Trans/torsion bar crossmember up to the core support is a fine place.

As Wiley mentioned, slide a tire/wheel under the rocker panel at least as a back up....floor jack just under the K-frame is a good idea too.

If you find this type of tool, keep the nut threaded on the stud a few threads so it doesn't go flying off like this guy did.

Don't let that spook you. The real tool in that video is a nincompoop named Scotty.

Follow what these other guys are telling you and you'll be just fine!

Did you try with this ? I have to replace the tie rod end in my delivery vans often is not so hard with the propper tools and beside this fork is really cheap

images (7).jpeg

Keep us updated on how it goes. It's a messy job, but straightforward.

Jesus Chrysler. The safety police are everywhere. Don't forget to call your insurance company before going down there. Also, take your cell phone with 911 programmed and keep your finger close...wth. I live on a hill. If it falls off the stands and rolls out of the driveway it could roll down the hill and into a neighbors garage. Put WARN THE NEIGHBORS on your checklist in addition to the dozen or so precautions listed above.

Last edited:
Keep us updated on how it goes. It's a messy job, but straightforward.
Remove and reinstall centerlink = success. Dropping oil pan = failure.
Tried just about every trick in the book other than lifting the engine enough to have the oil pan clear the K member.
I'll blame the failure on the " early 70's Imperial 360" engine swap.

All I can say is, if you ever had a car slide off a Jack on you (happened to me) , or know someone who was killed by a car sliding off a floor lift, backup safety precautions are a good idea.

Auto Transport Service
Back