• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Sunday's Project

Krooser

Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
If my grandson shows up to learn something...

The oil pan on the 318 that is going in my '65 Coronet is banged up pretty good.

My grandson, who wants to learn auto mechanics, is supposed to show this weekend to learn... We will see.

IMG_20240316_134149728_HDR.jpg

Hope he shows up to help. My boy and grandson have no interest to get dirty.:lol:

Hope he shows up to help. My boy and grandson have no interest to get dirty.:lol:
Well he showed ..

We pulled the pan and timing cover on a 318. Tossed some parts in my ultrasonic cleaner, showed him how the cam is timed to the crank.

He was lamenting that his HS shop only has an "old fashioned" parts cleaner where you have to use a BRUSH on the parts!

And he flipped when I went to my parts shelves and pulled out a box with new cam bolts, washers, drip tang and bolts. Plus two new timing sets in stock... He said they have to wait to order even the smallest parts after the shop dept. head ok's the purchase.

I told him "your grandpa IS the head of THIS shop"!

Then I showed him where I stock the valve cover gaskets, timing gasket sets and oil pan bits. He found extra King bearings from my last race motor, two sets of piston rings, etc.

I told him we had to straighten the bottom of the oil pan. He went looking for a hammer. I showed him the easy way...use a 4x4 chunk of oak and put it under the lift and into the sump and let the weight of my Coronet press the dent out of the pan.

He will learn. He got accepted to tech school for their auto shop classes...I told him to become a machinist, plumber, electrician, male stripper anything but a dealer slave. More $$$, better insurance and a good 401k.

Maybe he will think on it...

Auto Transport Service
Back