• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on MSD ignition options

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what sort of MSD setup to use on my build. It’s a street/strip 512 low deck build. Car will be driven on the street mostly, but will be drag raced a bit.

I was looking into the 6 AL, 6 AL digital, 6 AL-2 and AL-2 Programmable boxes.

I have read some places say the digital ones don’t last as long as the analog ones. The features of the AL-2 programmable are really cool (rev limiter, 2 step), but it looks like it might want a maf sensor?

What is everyone else using? I don’t have plans for boost or nitrous at this point, but 2 step would be cool.

Been running two 6al analogs since the 1990s. Ran a two step on one hooked to the transbrake. The other has been on the street in our charger. On the charger we had it set up either for the 6al or mopar orange box. We switched at the track once and there was no difference in e.t. however, It always started better w the MSD and been problem free.
I hope our old boxes keep ticking. But I have no experience w the digital.

Last edited:
I prefer the old MSD 6AL box built back in the 80's when they were still good. I always mount them inside the car under the dash away from engine heat. Always crimp,solder,and shrink all the connections and your ECU will last a very long time.
Be careful with your choice of ignition coils as well. Stick to the recommended resistance that MSD tells you to. The wrong coil will kill the unit.
Follow these simple guidelines and your MSD will keep your engine happy.

Gus

Auto Transport Service
Back