• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle bracket ?

19 69 GTX

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
Got a Allstar carb bracket and the stock throttle cable won't work. I would really like to use this but not sure what throttle cable I'd need. There is no way to open bracket up and slide throttle cable into it. Thanks

20220218_131923.jpg 20220218_131934.jpg

Those things look nice, but are junk. I tried one last fall. 2 issues with them. Like you stated, the newer style cables with the plastic around wire will not fit in the clamp. I took a die grinder with a 1/8" wheel and widened the slot. That worked fine. But after doing that, I found a bigger problem. The throttle shaft linkage on your carb moves in an arc. The cable clamp is positioned to high, preventing any chance of WOT. Talked to Allstar about the design flaw, they didn't seem to care. Luckily I bought mine from Summit. After explaining everything to them with pics, they agreed and gave me my money back even with the mod I did.

Those things look nice, but are junk. I tried one last fall. 2 issues with them. Like you stated, the newer style cables with the plastic around wire will not fit in the clamp. I took a die grinder with a 1/8" wheel and widened the slot. That worked fine. But after doing that, I found a bigger problem. The throttle shaft linkage on your carb moves in an arc. The cable clamp is positioned to high, preventing any chance of WOT. Talked to Allstar about the design flaw, they didn't seem to care. Luckily I bought mine from Summit. After explaining everything to them with pics, they agreed and gave me my money back even with the mod I did.

Ok so did you just end up using a stock cable and bracket. I have a tall bracket for my set up so not a big deal. Thanks for shedding some light

I'm using these brackets on all 3 of my cars. I modify them a bit to get a nice angle for the arc of the throttle shaft.

20220219_070800.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

Same with the one from Jegs. Cable clamp was too small for the factory cable tho listed as for Mopars.
Like above I had to open up the cable slot to make it work.

The only possible way to get full throttle movement with the Allstar/Jegs bracket is to hook your throttle cable to the linkage at the big hole up high. This is where we all attach our throttle return spring setup. There is a guy over on A bodies that made a stud assembly to make it work nice, but nothing is available to buy. @Darter6, I would bet if you check yours out closely that the carb does not fully open when pushing the gas pedal to the floor.

Thanks,That car is long gone.And you are right, I did have to modify to make it open completely.

Simple geometry will show that if the cable pull is level or below the attachment pivot the throttle can be opened fully. When its dead level it may not pull to 90 degrees. But trust me me. I've done plenty of testing pulling the throttle to run index. If you think an 85 degree opening is going to kill performance you are sadly mistaken. the main problem stems from the Mopar throttle pedal assy itself. It really doesn't have enough travel. How do we fix that? Two ways #1; lower the pivot point on the carburetor. Those of us that have swapped to aftermarket carbs that the pivot attachment is generally higher. Thus the throttle won't open completely.#2; bend the throttle cable attachment arm at the foot pedal. If you bend the attachment point away from the firewall the pedal will be higher at the idle position. Then it pull the cable further at WOT. It's pretty simple. Unbolt the 4 attachment bolts holding it to the floor. Do not attempt to bend it cold without a fair amount of heat. The weld can fracture at the end of the pivot point at the most inopportune time. Don't ask how I know. There are braided cables available on E bay for about $25. With slight modification they work great. The additional benefit is they are very long so you can route them to any point you like. The pivot stud that comes with them is weak. I suggest an upgrade. They can break. Again don't ask how I know. I decided my new side ways twin Holley's would have a simple set up for the throttle. No bell cranks and trying to adapt the factory cable that is never long enough. This is what I came up with. The brass piece was cut down from an old fuel line adapter fitting. Cutting the threaded portion of the cable attachment shorter combined with a thin nut allowed plenty of travel. The bracket at the carb was a couple pieces of 1/8" steel welded up.
Doug

20210227_110101.jpg
20210227_110904.jpg
20210228_184538.jpg
20210228_184554.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

This is Mancini's 440 bracket. Worked very well on my single 4 bbl Hemi.Also their kickdown cable kit.

View attachment 1243093
This is Mancini's 440 bracket. Worked very well on my single 4 bbl Hemi.Also their kickdown cable kit.

Thanks for showing the photo. This is exactly what I needed now that I have added a spacer under my EFI throttle body. I purchased the kit from Richard Ehrenberg on eBay. It's basically identical to the one from Mancini and also accepts a Lokar style kick down.

Auto Transport Service
Back