• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tick Tock, the countdown to Friday has begun.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
Friday means a LOT to many of us Blue Collar guys.
This Friday means a lot to me.
I will be retiring from Construction after 36 1/2 years. I still like the work but I'm to the point where I can retire and do some work when I feel like it.
In accordance with the rules and guidelines of the Pension plan, I can still work 480 hours a year for a Union company so I will likely do some part time work BUT....
There will be no obligation to do so.
I am leaving while I am still in great health with a reasonably strong back, knees and elbows. I walk upright, I have all my fingers.
I have considered taking some courses in automotive matters....Electrical, transmission rebuilding....who knows what else.
I will keep busy. The guys that retire and sit on the couch don't live as long.
I have some cars that need attention too.

Not twins 2.jpg

Congrats dude!

I made the jump on 30 June. I’m going to do some consulting on the side because I enjoy it. You’ll like the time off.

congratulations! on several fronts.....

I retired about 35 years ago, and work harder than ever :BangHead:

Congrats on your retirement! These last couple of day must be seeming surreal, knowing it's almost all over.
I'm surprised that there are restrictions in your pension plan regarding what you're allowed to work - interesting.
36 1/2 years is long enough, you've earned some time off!

Awesome!!! Congrats on making it to the next stage... I think you'll like it...

I am leaving while I am still in great health with a reasonably strong back, knees and elbows. I walk upright, I have all my fingers.
You are to be commended for that alone.....most guys I know who have been on the tools as long as us, are usually missing one of those qualities. :lol:

Congrats on your service to the trade.....we look forward to more escapades from the House of Kern soon. :thumbsup:

I've been retired for just over a year.
With that being said, I highly recommend it.
Good luck, and enjoy.

Friday means a LOT to many of us Blue Collar guys.
This Friday means a lot to me.
I will be retiring from Construction after 36 1/2 years. I still like the work but I'm to the point where I can retire and do some work when I feel like it.
In accordance with the rules and guidelines of the Pension plan, I can still work 480 hours a year for a Union company so I will likely do some part time work BUT....
There will be no obligation to do so.
I have considered taking some courses in automotive matters....Electrical, transmission rebuilding....who knows what else.
I will keep busy. The guys that retire and sit on the couch don't live as long.
I have some cars that need attention too.

View attachment 1363908
Congratulations! That’s awesome! Stay busy and enjoy it! I’ve got 185 days left before I can. But whose counting!

congrats.jpg
I envy you, sir. I'll still be working 5 years after they've planted me in the ground.
Perpetual med bills, you know... :)

Congratulations KD. I am very envious. Health insurance premiums and the deductibles are the only thing holding me back.

Congratulations !! That is an awesome achievement !! Now, you can retire and do the things you want to do, while still in good health !
It has been almost 2 years since I retired. I highly reccommend it ! I do find, as mentioned previously, that I am busier retired than when working.
Enjoy your well earned retirement !

Congrats Greg. I've been retired for 6 months now and have no regrets stepping off of George Jetson's treadmill. You're still young & healthy enough to enjoy life .......so start enjoying it!

:thumbsup:

Congratulations Greg! Retirement is awesome! I've been at it for nearly eight years now! Retired at 57.

The guys that retire and sit on the couch don't live as long.
You nailed it KD^^^Congrats on retiring but keep busy with fun ****. I'm not far behind, in just a few more years I will have an opportunity to retire early after devoting 30 years with a job that has a very good retirement plan plus I did some earlier investing as a gamble that paid off. I'm not one to just sit around, If I stay healthy I plan to spend my later years working on cars and motorcycles.

Congratulations!:drinks:

That’s what pushed my hard decision to change jobs. I was working for my dad wiring houses for the last 7 years. He was paying me just enough to pay the bills, and nothing extra. Plus my back is fucked up thanks to a dope head driving on the wrong side of the road. In August an opportunity came up, and I took it, now I work at an electrical supply house, it’s a lot easier on my back, health care benefits, and a 401k.

I have to work 4hrs every other Saturday, but Fridays are still magical, the only thing close to the way we felt when we were kids in school, and life was simple. What makes it better is our local classic rock station plays Stevie Ray Vaughan house is rocking at 5, followed by an hour of commercial free music, while they broadcast at a bar doing a “bringing in the weekend” party.

Last edited:
Congrats Greg,
I am sure you will stay busy. Every old gal in a 5 mile radius will have you on speed dial for home repair.
My target is March of 2023.

Auto Transport Service
Back