• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tie Rod Clearance on Torsion Bar

mrmolding

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:46 PM
Reaction score
Getting car back together and I was adjusting ride height on my 70 RR. Looks like my tie rod grease fittings just barely clear the torsion bar. I did upgrade to hemi torsion bars and I’m wondering if pitman arm is not tall enough. I upgraded to power steering but with Oem Lares rebuild box. The rest are moog and the arm is a Delphi arm that came with PS box.
Does tightening torsion bar increase this distance or not?

166980D0-75B1-447E-B763-29A5C5F4E077.jpeg 6DC6C4E8-7004-4B57-8C3E-C750F28AFA1E.jpeg

The torsion bar is between two fixed points. Tightening it will do nothing for your clearance issues -

The torsion bar is between two fixed points. Tightening it will do nothing for your clearance issues -
Thanks! So is this an acceptable distance?

Last edited:
I’m seeing a lot of similar issues going through threads. Wonder if it makes sense for me to try a taller 73-74 idler/pitman arm. Hmm…

I’m seeing a lot of similar issues going through threads. Wonder if it makes sense for me to try a taller 73-74 idler/pitman arm. Hmm…
You do not have a problem. Lots of these cars never had fittings when new they had plugs. They clear without rubbing so move on and fix something that is wrong.

You do not have a problem. Lots of these cars never had fittings when new they had plugs. They clear without rubbing so move on and fix something that is wrong.

Thanks! I got seats in a few minutes ago. I appreciate the help and with my electric issues as well! I think I’m ready for a test drive! Thanks again!

Auto Transport Service
Back