• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time for a new carb I guess...

Jeff Erwin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:08 PM
Reaction score
The middle carb, 350CFM Holley 2300, was dripping from the acceleration pump on the bottom of the fuel bowl. Pulled the carb and found that two of the screws holding the plunger pump on had stripped and were loose. I pulled it apart, doesn't look like there is any way to fix this as the screw holes are part of the bowl, and finding a replacement bowl is gonna be really hard.

Is it time to order a new carb or does someone have a magical idea as to how to fix stripped screw holes in the bowl? I though about helocoils but they don't make them that small.

What size are your stripped screws? Heli-coils are available in thread sizes as small as 1-64.

Accelerator pump screws should be 8-32 X 1".

If helo-coil isn't available you can drill out the damaged thread, use a micro torch to heat it up and fill with silver solder. Don't go nuts and melt the zinc casting:) Then drill and tap for the original screws.

I replaced a center carb bowl for my sixpack cause the 7/8-20 was stripped, but for the accelerator pump screws, heli-coils are certainly available, (i have used thousands in my career from 2-56 to 1/2-13) and i could buy a helicoil kit and do a hundred holes for sixty bucks!.

Oops I missed that this was for a six pack

Please disregard my post

Last edited:
The ’71 OE center carb fuel bowl is pretty specific. While some generic aftermarket bowl replacements may function, they would not include the enclosed idle vent valve casting needed to be a correct replacement to the original bowl.
bowl.jpg

Last edited:
The ’71 OE center carb fuel bowl is pretty specific. While some generic aftermarket bowl replacements may function, they would not include the enclosed idle vent valve casting needed to be a correct replacement to the original bowl.
Agree. OP, do some more research, the helicoils you need are CERTAINLY available, you can buy new tools, learn new skills, repair your ORIGINAL correct bowl, and save money!

Auto Transport Service
Back