• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to buy a new/used/refurbed laptop.....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
The old HP Pavilion 'g' I'm on is getting pretty old. Bought it about 8 years ago used/refurbed and it's been pretty good. Down side is the fan doesn't want to stay running so it sits on a fan bank but even that doesn't do too well if I'm watching a lengthy vid. Also use a counter top fan lol but these days when it's only 75 in the shop, it's over heating and after shutting down several times over the past year, I'm thinking that's taken it's toll. Looking for ideas and wondering if it's worth placing an ad for or just flat out buying a refurbed unit off the net? This thing is still running Windoze 7 and well, don't know what to get....but can't afford to go to the store and buy a new one. Hey, I've done well with used cars but that's different.

Depending on what all you need in computer, get a Mac, you wont regret it. Short of making that change, lots of listings for whatever PC you may like on E bay. Plenty of refurbs with warranty. Just buy something with a return policy. The buyer has every advantage over the seller on E bay.

Cpu fan is probably worn out. A fan bank won't do much to cool it down if the main cpu fan has stopped working. There's probably a youtube video showing how it's done (fan replacement) with your laptop model or similar model if you're a diy person.

When's the last time you blew the dust out of the internals? That ****'s like gunk on a motor, retains the heat. Good Luck

Good place to check is Best buy open box, they have some very good deals.

Looks like I need to do some shopping and research!

Cpu fan is probably worn out. A fan bank won't do much to cool it down if the main cpu fan has stopped working. There's probably a youtube video showing how it's done (fan replacement) with your laptop model or similar model if you're a diy person.
Did some research awhile back on it.....there's a glitch in the system and for some reason I can't get it out. From time to time the fan will decide to start working like it should. It runs on low speed but the high speed is the problem. It comes and goes but here lately, the high speed isn't working at all.

When's the last time you blew the dust out of the internals? That ****'s like gunk on a motor, retains the heat. Good Luck
Doesn't the dust help it stay warm in the winter time?? :D Cleaning it doesn't help......it's time for a replacement. Like I said, I got it used and had it out here in the shop for at least 8 and thinking back, probably longer. Gotta look at the serial number to see just when this machine was produced but I know this model was introduced in 2011.

go to www.microcenter.com and check out their refurbs. I have a local store near me in Westmont, Il.
Got one but it's on the other side of Houston.....probably not going. Freaking freeways here are plain nuts now.

Woot.com now owned by Amazon often has good deals on refurb stuff
Saved the link.....

Thanks for the replies!! It helped.

Cranky...I personally will only buy HP refurbed units and nothing else. Dell computers suck and always have. No need for a MAC as they are way to costly to maintain and are a captive OS only type of computer. I buy from either Amazon or Tiger Direct. I go for at least a 64bit, 1TB hard drive, fast processor and always Windows 10 Professional. With the next Windows 11 coming out, most computers will not take the upgrade from 10-11 as Microsoft is basically forcing everyone to purchase a new Windows 11 compatible unit which irks the hell out of me. Windows 10 will still be around but any support will cease in 2025. Here is a very good one for you...Good luck in your search...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-800-G1-Pe...99101&refinements=p_36:2421880011&s=pc&sr=1-4

Best Buy Outlet at 249 and 1960 has some really good deals !

You can get a free laptop if you follow Hunter Biden around for a while.

Auto Transport Service
Back