• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

timing discomfort.

levicah

Local time
5:10 PM
Reaction score
New hei distributor on a 74' 318 has never sounded better, no pinging but the numbers concern me.
Initial timing 19 btdc @ 800 idle w/no vac. (vac line plugged)
Total timing 35 @ 2800+rpms w/no vac.
No problems with acceleration.

1. Shouldn't initial be down around 8 - 12 btdc? what does this mean?
Could I be underestimating the performance upgrades? would that drive up initial timing? Obvious things are Performer intake, carb, headers, power, etc. Engine was rebuilt, but I dont know if the heads or cam were upgraded.
And what do I do? Would higher compression rates drive up int. timing?

2. Since tying the ballast resistor wires together with a pigtail for the hei 12 V., starting takes several revolutions...slow starting with mucho or no mucho gas.
It's almost like I cut back the voltage to the starter. Battery is new and strong.

Thanks in advance!

The numbers are fine for a modded engine. Typically I believe lower compression will like more timing, to a point. If it runs strong and sounds right with no pinging, and doesn't run too hot, in my opinion that's what the engine wants..no opinion though on your HEI question as I've never done that swap on a Mopar.

Auto Transport Service
Back