• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing light recommendations?

I need to update my previous statement. My MSD distributor is a RTR, so not a Multispark.

If you have MSD issues with these lights, use a separate battery.

Chuck (snook)

I have the old Craftsman one with the degree adjustment knob on the back so you can check full advance.

I used a couple dial back timing lights years ago. Both were junk. Very inaccuate. I presume they are better now, but still prefer the more simple lights.

My older Craftsman is about 55 years old, still has the spring attachment to the #1 spark plug post. Still works. Been through hell.
I had one similar, used the spring attachment for the #1 plug. Worked great.

I have a Mac dial back light from the 90s .
It's been a good one.

I have this one, works well: Innova 5568 - Innova Pro Timing Lights
Innova 5568 Innova Pro Timing Lights | Summit Racing

Chuck (snook)

I have this Innova light too, and it works with my MSD6AL ignition box, also the Crane HI6 box.
If your setting total timing at 3,000+ RPM, the multi-spark units are only at the lower RPM range, I think by 3,000 RPM they are single spark.
At idle with the multi-spark, you might see the timing jump around a bit.

Whatever you decide keep away from the analogue dial back with a knob 90% of the time they are way off. Digital ones are fine. I have plenty of non adjustable lights and also tach/dwell meters that are calibrated if needed.

Last edited:
I've never needed (or wanted) a dial back light. Anything I'm setting timing on has a degreed balancer, or at least a timing tape on it.

Interesting discussion - I have wondered about this as well. I read the manual on the MSD6A ignition module I use, and they state not to use a dial back timing timing light - I had never noticed this until recently. I use an Innova 5568 and it appears to work correctly, however without anything to compare it too, there is no way to know if its lying or not. I have borrowed and old school non-dialback timing light to compare to my 5568 - will be interesting to see if there is any discernable difference.

Interesting discussion - I have wondered about this as well. I read the manual on the MSD6A ignition module I use, and they state not to use a dial back timing timing light - I had never noticed this until recently. I use an Innova 5568 and it appears to work correctly, however without anything to compare it too, there is no way to know if its lying or not. I have borrowed and old school non-dialback timing light to compare to my 5568 - will be interesting to see if there is any discernable difference.
Let us know what ya find..

I compared my Innovia to my Craftsman knob-type dial back and it read about 1 degree more advance than my Craftsman. I say “about” as that little knob is kind of hard to fine tune with.

Here's another vote for the Innova from Amazon. I had an old old Sears dial back that was not good at all, now retired for the Innova.

Turns out the "old school" one I have placed my hands on is not likely old school enough... its an Innova 3551 DIS inductive timing light purchased in 2009. It has the same notes as my current one, saying its for "conventional, electronic, computer controlled and DIS ignition systems. The Innova website has the same note not suitable for multispark systems in the FAQ sectin. So, who knows if it will suffer the same "errors" as my current Innova.

Unfortunately my father's old 60's vintage timing light gave up the ghost so I can't use it...

The search for the truth continues...

I have a Mac with advance, bought from the one and only Toolman Mike.

I tested the following - all use an inductive pickup - the ignition uses an MSD 6A module;

Sears 45118 - circa early 80's
Innova 3551 - circa 2009
Innova 5568A - circa 2015 - dialback timing light

All three provided the same result for timing set at zero degrees BTDC. I installed timing tape on the balancer and set the timing to 16 degrees using the timing tape and the 3551. Checked with the 5568A and got the same result comparing timing tape to the dialback value. All three yielded the same result setting the timing.

However I did find a weird distinction with the 5568A. While debugging a startup issue after winter storage I did find an issue with the 5568A that does not happen with either of the other two. I put the pickup on my plug wires and looked for spark while cranking. The 5568A did not see a spark while the other two did. All three did see a spark on the wire between the coil and the cap. Since I was using the 5568A for diagnostics at the time, I was led to believe that I did not have spark at the plugs.

This inline tester showed me that I did have spark
https://www.princessauto.com/en/inline-ignition-spark-tester/product/PA0009154691

@HALIFAXHOPS usually has some quality lights. He knows what works.
Still have a ton of them all older analogue. Lots of tach dwell meters also.

DSC02386.JPG

DSC01418.JPG

DSC00664.JPG

DSC00672.JPG

Have a few of these sets also all calibrated.
1713710733339.png
Just PM me with your need.

Last edited:
I used a couple dial back timing lights years ago. Both were junk. Very inaccuate. I presume they are better now, but still prefer the more simple lights.
The older analogue ones are almost always off, no issues with digital ones yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back