• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing light recommendations?

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
I am a little ways away from getting the mechanical going again in the restoration of my 69 Super Bee, but looking ahead a bit what brand, quality, digital / analog timing light do you recommend? It has literally been decades since I used one, probably back in the 70's on my A12 Bee. Had a decent timing light back then and a dwell meter...
Amazon has quite a few, as does Ebay and even Harbor Freight. Many appear quite cheap (price and quality), but I do not know what to expect TIA

I have a Summit Racing brand and am very happy with it.

I'm interested too. I have my dwell meter still from the 70s but don't have a timing light.

A timing light like the ones recommended above that allow you to do total timing without having a degree marked damper are worth the extra money.
Especially when trying to tune an old motor for todays fuels.

I have this one, works well: Innova 5568 - Innova Pro Timing Lights
Innova 5568 Innova Pro Timing Lights | Summit Racing

Chuck (snook)
Ditto - bought this one couple years ago and naturally a few buddies have borrowed it...ya know, why buy one when a bud has one. No complaints with it.

Timing Light .jpg

My older Craftsman is about 55 years old, still has the spring attachment to the #1 spark plug post. Still works. Been through hell.

My older Craftsman is about 55 years old, still has the spring attachment to the #1 spark plug post. Still works. Been through hell.
My old Penske about the same age as yours decided not to work so much anymore prodding me to invest in a new one. A few buddies were wiser to wait for their buddy to fork out for a new one - to borrow, lol.

My old Penske about the same age as yours decided not to work so much anymore prodding me to invest in a new one. A few buddies were wiser to wait for their buddy to fork out for a new one - to borrow, lol.
I do have a newer, clamp-on type light... but 'ol reliable with it's numerous melted marks cable, still works.

Do any of the above recommended lights work with an MSD?
According to summit specifications blurb, neither the Innova nor summit work with multi spark, and the MSD lights are expensive!!

Last edited:
I use the Innova model I posted above on the MSD distributor in my car with no issues.

Interesting result. Summit says the Innova lights don't work with multi spark. So I went to Innova's own site and looked to see what they said. iNNOVA says their lights don't work with multi spark.
MSD sells what they call an inductive light (for about $250). Innova sells an inductive light........ for $35. WTF?

Interesting result. Summit says the Innova lights don't work with multi spark. So I went to Innova's own site and looked to see what they said. iNNOVA says their lights don't work with multi spark.
MSD sells what they call an inductive light (for about $250). Innova sells an inductive light........ for $35. WTF?
Inductive spark pick up doesn't have anything to do with Multispark. The circuits take one spark signal and send it to the light. Think about how it has to work.

Inductive spark pick up doesn't have anything to do with Multispark. The circuits take one spark signal and send it to the light. Think about how it has to work.
It makes sense to me that the light would fire off of the first spark, so a light should work whether there was one spark or three or whatever. And several guys here say their light works fine with an MSD.
So why does Innova say their light WONT work with a multi-spark? Along with Summit saying their light won't work either.
(The reason for this is.... my ancient dependable sears light is in california,..... and I need a light and I'm in Arizona.)

Auto Transport Service
Back