• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips for cleaning gauges?

alextucker

Local time
5:59 AM
Reaction score
Gauges are not in bad condition just a bit dull, any tips to clean them up without replacing the prints? I want to do as much as possible before I put them back in.

IMG_4862.JPG

I use glass wax, fills the imperfections and cleans them.

Both actually, leaves a bit of clear wax over the surface great stuff. Prob have to get it on line.

I use a Meguiers plastic polish for something like that. Hasn't historically done anything to the print.

I did a few instrumentations restoration on gauges, and my way is use light polishing compound dont't worry the coating on gauges are very hard...
20130524_2.JPG
20130524_3.JPG
20130524_1.JPG

they look superb

This is an old post by Andy Markiewicz...

Here's the cure for old, faded Charger gauges. First step is to pull the instruments and take the cluster apart. I usually pull out each gauge as I work on it too. A digital camera comes in real handy for reassembly help. Take pictures of how washers and wires go beforehand if you don't want to try to memorize how it went together.

I use moderate red rubbing compound on the gauge faces and then coat them with Vinylex (from Lexol) after polishing. I've restored some that are almost completely white this way. The black is really thick on the face and you wont rub through unless you go crazy. Be gentle. Wipe the area you're polishing clean periodically to check progress. Use a Q tip when you're working near the pointer, there's a very fine wire there that you don't want to even touch. Be very careful here. Tip the instrument up vertical while you're working to keep old compound from falling into the gauge. You can gently move the needle over to polish under it. Be careful of the wire! There is a small hairlike wire at the base of each needle that makes them glow with the electroluminescent sytem.
These needles can also be repainted if they are dull. Use a Q-tip with some Brakleen on it to strip the old paint. (careful to not drip on the face). Soak another Q-tip with some flourescent orange paint to the point of almost dripping and coat the needle. Don't get it too thick or the needle won't glow. If so, just strip and do-over.
When done with the needle and the compound, patch any chips in the black with a Sharpie and top off with the Vinylex. Put it on thick and let it soak for a day before wiping it down. If you wipe it down too soon, it'll soak in and look dull a week later.

gauges.jpg

what a cool dash and interior , love it
is urs a 67 ? wish I could see the radio knobs and I have been thinking about going with that style of steering wheel since originals are fetching way too much money

Yeah, if they have becone whitened from the sun very LIGHT polishing will bring them back.
I used a very fine polishing compound on mine ... but again LIGHTLY. The black will come off if you go too heavy with it.
Ask me how I know??????:rolleyes:

is urs a 67 ? wish I could see the radio knobs and I have been thinking about going with that style of steering wheel since originals are fetching way too much money
Does this older photo help? if not I will get you a better photo of the radio knobs

100_2413_1343357915_o.jpg

I just cleaned up my instrument gauges, I used a very light compound, buffed off any extra residue/hazing, and then applied BLACKFIRE total trim and tire sealant. It soaked right in and is a very durable sealant, should last for awhile...

IMG_3043.JPG
IMG_3044.JPG
IMG_3045.JPG
IMG_3046.JPG

Believe it or not -- the degreaser Purple Power that you can buy at any auto store takes that white haze right off -- I'm not kidding. Use a cotton ball. Gauges go back to dark black. Easy peasy.

004.JPG

I forgot to mention -- the Purple Power works wonders on the shift selector and the clock face. It make the black backgrounds look new again.

013.JPG 014.JPG

I use Vinyl X on the gauges I restore for the customers that don't want to use the new overlays. But I've also used polishing compound. The factory decals are pretty robust...

Mark
www.thegaugedoc.com

This is an old post by Andy Markiewicz...

Here's the cure for old, faded Charger gauges. First step is to pull the instruments and take the cluster apart. I usually pull out each gauge as I work on it too. A digital camera comes in real handy for reassembly help. Take pictures of how washers and wires go beforehand if you don't want to try to memorize how it went together.

I use moderate red rubbing compound on the gauge faces and then coat them with Vinylex (from Lexol) after polishing. I've restored some that are almost completely white this way. The black is really thick on the face and you wont rub through unless you go crazy. Be gentle. Wipe the area you're polishing clean periodically to check progress. Use a Q tip when you're working near the pointer, there's a very fine wire there that you don't want to even touch. Be very careful here. Tip the instrument up vertical while you're working to keep old compound from falling into the gauge. You can gently move the needle over to polish under it. Be careful of the wire! There is a small hairlike wire at the base of each needle that makes them glow with the electroluminescent sytem.
These needles can also be repainted if they are dull. Use a Q-tip with some Brakleen on it to strip the old paint. (careful to not drip on the face). Soak another Q-tip with some flourescent orange paint to the point of almost dripping and coat the needle. Don't get it too thick or the needle won't glow. If so, just strip and do-over.
When done with the needle and the compound, patch any chips in the black with a Sharpie and top off with the Vinylex. Put it on thick and let it soak for a day before wiping it down. If you wipe it down too soon, it'll soak in and look dull a week later.

View attachment 392922[/QUOTE

my fuel and speedo Needle wont glow. Can you please shes some info as to what i can do to fix it?

May be the thin wire from the needle to the gauge is broken...

Auto Transport Service
Back