• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire clearance

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
Want to mount Cooper Cobra tire 295 50 R15 with a section with of 12.2. this will leave me one half inch clearance to the super stock springs. Would this be enough clearance even if I want to autocross? Everything is mounted in poly.

Want to mount Cooper Cobra tire 295 50 R15 with a section with of 12.2. this will leave me one half inch clearance to the super stock springs. Would this be enough clearance even if I want to autocross? Everything is mounted in poly.
The car also has front and rear sway bars mounted in poly.

I always get tire rubbing on the inner fenderwell way before tire to spring. Unless you have mini tubbed yours?

I always get tire rubbing on the inner fenderwell way before tire to spring. Unless you have mini tubbed yours?
Lots of room to the inner fenderwell probably only about 3/8 of an inch to the outer fender lip. What do you think?

Lots of room to the inner fenderwell probably only about 3/8 of an inch to the outer fender lip. What do you think?
I think 3/8" to the outer quarter lip is pushing it. I just replaced the 8 3/4 rear with a Strange 60 in my 69 RR. I only have 9/16" from the tire bulge to quarter lip now. That is making me nervous and wanting wheels with a touch more backspace. Honestly, 1/2" to the springs is plenty of room imo.
I am curious what others have to say about how much space to the outer quarter is safe. I was going to post that question in a thread myself.

I have 295/15/50's on 3 different sets of wheels on the rear of 3 of my B Bodies with stock factory springs with no rubbing issues on either car.

I have 295/15/50's on 3 different sets of wheels on the rear of 3 of my B Bodies with stock factory springs with no rubbing issues on either car.
Chargers and Coronets have a higher wheelwell opening than Road Runners do though. I think that area is the tight spot on my and the op's car.

Chargers and Coronets have a higher wheelwell opening than Road Runners do though. I think that area is the tight spot on my and the op's car.
I also have them on a 70' Road Runner.

I also have them on a 70' Road Runner.
What are your thoughts on minimum safe clearance between tire bulge and wheel lip on a 68-70 Plymouth?

It's close, but doesn't run anywhere on my car anyway.

I think 3/8" to the outer quarter lip is pushing it. I just replaced the 8 3/4 rear with a Strange 60 in my 69 RR. I only have 9/16" from the tire bulge to quarter lip now. That is making me nervous and wanting wheels with a touch more backspace. Honestly, 1/2" to the springs is plenty of room imo.
I am curious what others have to say about how much space to the outer quarter is safe. I was going to post that question in a thread myself.
I believe I will go with 275 to give myself some breathing room. Better to be safe.

Late to this party, but.....
A half inch to the spring wouldn't bother me a bit, it's fixed distance that won't change.
Three eighths to the fender is way too close, especially for an autocross app. Body roll will cut it up.
I see you decided to go a little smaller. Wise decision..

Auto Transport Service
Back