• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tires and wheels size

Etan

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
Hi ! Does anybody knows witch size of 15 inchs wheels and tires i can put on my 1966 dodge Coronet .
Thank’s

Beautiful car for sure.... you guys kinda derailed the OP's question. It's damn unlikely he's going to fit anything like that on the rear of a 66 or 67 without serious modification.

Last edited:
I think we’ve been right on topic. He asked what size 15” wheels would fit his 66. And I told him what I had done. I also added a pic of before I did the swap. When it had 18’s . So not sure what your referring to.
So you're suggesting he puts 68 quarters on his 66?? That would be an interesting mod.

The 15x8’s with 4 1/2” backset will fit with no modifications. As will the 15x7’s on front with tires I stated, no rub, no modifications needed.
Probably, maybe. I seriously doubt 275s will fit on the back of a 66. I would suggest 15x7, with a 255.
Heck, what fits on the back of a 68 bee, probably won't on a 68 runner!

The 15x8’s with 4 1/2” backset will fit with no modifications. As will the 15x7’s on front with tires I stated, no rub, no modifications needed.
Ok, but you do realize that the Coke bottle rear fenders which started in the '68 model year are a huge departure from the 66-67 styling?? I'm pretty sure that was done to improve tire clearance in the world of BBody racing at that time. :poke:

As long as you have a 5.5”” setback
Rear axle is 3/4" wider on '68-70. '66-7 would be dang close to the springs too. They are the tightest to fit tires.....

You are trying to be helpful but must not know how tight the fitment is on the 66-67 models.

I think we’ve been right on topic. He asked what size 15” wheels would fit his 66. And I told him what I had done. I also added a pic of before I did the swap. When it had 18’s . So not sure what your referring to.

As long as you have a 5.5”” setback 15x8 will fit. Yes 15x7 is probably a better choice for the 66.

The 66-67 model cars did not have the higher arch wheel openings that the 68-70 cars had. The top 1/4 of the tire and wheel are covered by the lower hanging wheel opening, similar to the standard Dart versus Duster design:

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_1422 (2).JPG

Coronet:

1691688811827.png

68-70 Charger:

6 kb.JPG

The 66's and 67's are a different animal from the 68-up b-bodies. On a 66-67 you can fit a 275-60-15 with a 7" or 8" rim with the right back spacing but you will almost certainly get a rub on the driver side tire when turning left (or if you have passengers in the back seat). A 7" rim needs 4.5" BS with 4.75" being better. An 8" rim needs a minimum of 4-7/8" with 5.5" being a better fit. These are all a "should fit" but different folks have had different success. The trim package (RT wheel molding or 440 or 500 trim) usually rubs whereas no trim improves your odds of no rub. It also depends on the stance of your car. If it sits a little higher, you are in better shape. You can also go with a 255-70-15 with those same rim sizes and are in even better shape. The drawback to those are they are a nightmare to get in the wheel well when you have to change them because they are so tall. Doable, but a little bit of a pain.

The conundrum also exists...if you raise the car to fit bigger tires, front end alignment is affected, Most do not know but the spindles allow a dramatic change in caster and camber in a very short range of travel.

Align 2.jpg

Using the common A body spindle, raising ride height just one inch above stock sets your caster into negative.

Auto Transport Service
Back