• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tires Are Not What they Once Were.

So that means I have 12 ticking time bombs in the garage right now? If they're gonna blow I can only hope I'm as lucky as you and it happens when I'm at a standstill, not at speed. :steering:
Maybe you will be blessed as I was, all of mine happened sitting.

Junk bfg tires infected with Firestone/Bridgestone disease. Cooper on the Charger and Michelin on the rest. Glad you were not at speed when it blew.

If I'm not mistaken about 8-9 years old. No more than 10.

I thought the BFGs on one of my cars were about 10 years old too... until I looked at the date codes and saw they were 19 years old. Time flies. Go by the markings not the memory.

Tires like these don't blow out like that.

01 Ginger.JPG

But the guys with 14 or 15 inch wheels are at the mercy of 2 or 3 tire manufacturers .

Last edited:
I'm not looking forward to replacing my aged-out tires. I need 12 650x17 wide whites.... and twelve new tubes..... and twelve wire wheel liners.
The forty year old Lucas on the convertible still look good and hold air....

I'm not looking forward to replacing my aged-out tires. I need 12 650x17 wide whites.... and twelve new tubes..... and twelve wire wheel liners.
The forty year old Lucas on the convertible still look good and hold air....
If it were not for tires and batteries, I might still have a little money.

Wow! I put these BFGs on my 67 Dodge in 2003. They look great, and only have about 4K miles on them. But this thread makes me nervous... On a different note, I have not had the problem with the letters turning brown like so many have posted on here. Is there a difference between these older ones that were available years ago VS the later tires? Made out of different stuff?
IMG_1234.jpeg

Y'all are scaring hell out of me also...
Just like @Big Bad Dad , mine has never yellowed either - but they were put on the car
in 2008, before I even bought Fred.
Maybe 3-4k on them now and they look really good (no sidewall cracking, letters are white), but....

This is when the previous owner first bought them and the Magnums in 2008:
P1090389.JPG
Nowadays:
eds gtx.jpg
(clicken to embiggen)

Yikes. I have 7-8 year old BFG's on 1 of my cars. Looking like I better budget for some new Coopers this summer.

You guys are crazy, I change my tires after 5 yrs...6 tops....tread depth means jack.. they are rubber and degrade no matter the mileage!
Also BFG's suck...I switched both my cars to Mickey Thompson sportsman s/t a few years back, awesome tire. My top choice now, like them better than the cobras too.

I think something has fundamentally changed in the materials of tire construction.

I don't think it's limited to specific brands.

I wonder if something has been regulated/deregulated.

IIRC it started happening about 10-12 years ago.

I have started reducing the pressures in tires not actively in use to about 10 psi.

Even my trailers. They get aired up prior to use.

I've run BFG T/A's on every Hot Rod I've owned since 1974. Never had a failure. I am going to replace the ones on my Challenger this spring. Not worn out or cracked. But they are 18 years old.
Doug

Tires suck, all of them. Never run the mileage they claim. If they sit they will break belts and this is result. Bias/Nylon are good for sitting no steel to rust inside the tire and break under pressure but they create so much heat when operting they will break down inside and delaminate.
Keep in mind that unless you can find enough examples for a class action lawsuit, the tire problems will be blamed back on the operator.

Check the date code on the tire. Didn't realize how old mine were until I looked and all four are 2005....
I didn't realize how old mine were till I checked them after a 139 MPH run, 2005 also, when the car was built. Bought new ones a few days later. B F Goodrich is all I use. They were standing in line at the tire store for mine, looked new, no thanks. I only own one car, new tires from now on every 6 years. I was lucky!!

I will say the General RT 43 (yep, sounds Dodge-ish and Petty-ish, huh?) tires on my Renegade outlasted their 75,000 mile rating.

The fronts needed replaced at 80,000 but the rears are still on at 82,500.

Auto Transport Service
Back