• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To clone or not. That is the question.

Thanks Mike67
Tried all at once.....duh
Ur the best IT guy on here haha

ROGER PROBABLY A FEW YEARS DOWN THE ROAD YOU START TO THINK TO YOUR SELF I SHOULD HAVE SPENT A LITTLE MORE AND GOT THE REAL CAR,YOU CAN NOT HIDE FROM YOURSELF AND YOUR INNER THOUGHTS,YOU SEE OTHER PEOPLE YOU KNOW GOT REAL CARS THAT REPRESENT THE REAL DEAL AND YOU LOOK AT YOURS AND SAY I SHOULD HAVE SPENT A LITTLE MORE MONEY,EVEN IF YOU LIKE IT,BUT MAY NOT LOVE IT,I KNOW THAT IS HOW I FEEL,SO THAT IS WHY I PAID A LITTLE MORE THAN I WANTED TO SPEND,BUT I WANTED THE REAL THING,JUST MY LITTLE 0.02 CENTS,I CAN NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY.

If done for purpose of deception and profit. No
There are to many crooks in this hobby why promote it.

IMG_0945.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG
PICT0059.JPG

I bought my Sport Satellite with a 440 in it already. That engine wasn't available in anything other than a GTX in 1968. It didn't have a fender tag (I added one from eBay that says "Special Order"). This was a non-running car with no interior when I bought it, but the bodywork and exterior paint were done. I had to paint the engine compartment to match the body, which I did when I rebuilt the engine. I added the emblems because they were easier to get than Sport Satellite emblems, plus I always loved the GTX. Of course I loved the RR hood too, so I added that too as well as a 150 MPH speedo. I built this car for me, and I don't plan on ever selling it. All told, I have just over $10K into it (includes buying the car for $3,200 in 1998).

"Clones" or "Tribute" cars deserve love too. Especially if they have the performance of the "original". If you do it, do it right. Don't misrepresent it to potential buyers.

Last edited:
Just wondering how the overall hobby views this. For example I see a lot of Clones/Tributes for R/T's for sale and their price is about $10K less than an actual R/T $50K.

If you saw a good deal for one would you buy it?
Yes, if it is a known clone then there is no issue knowing so and paying accordingly. Between two cars. Let's just say the car is a beautiful if not ridiculously done up resto car. And the other actual R/T is of the same exact level. It's up to you to open up your wallet or not for the real deal. Also, if you don't have that kind of thick wallet for the actual, what's the harm to you if you get the clone.

The only thing that pisses me off are cheats that try and doup people that do not know better into a purchase.

I agree, IF I bought a clone I would be sure to point it out if asked, definately not looking to be a shady and do the hobby any harm.

The only thing that pisses me off are cheats that try and doup people that do not know better into a purchase.

Years back my dad and I decided to take mom's '72 Cutlass Convertible that was badly rusted by then and do a semi-clone 442. Semi meaning stayed with the 350 motor but tricked it up some/complete rebuild. I'd never do a resto on a badly rusty body again but by the time we got done there was not much old metal on it, like brand new quarters, southern fenders, etc. I was fun and sometimes frustrating locating 442 parts; but they just bolted right on since they were made for the car. Some things I never got to because I found a great deal on a '63 Fury drop top from CA zero rust...sold the Cutlass and got the Plymouth. Now I've done some Sport Fury upgrades to the Plymouth with upholstery and buckets. My point is cloning seems fine it's just the difference with some factory worker bolting it on following the order sheet whether dealer or factory, or you, as the "parts" were engineered for the car. Of course, the pristine thing is all #'s matching factory details zero incorrect down to the labels...great, IF you can find or afford one and maybe trailer it to shows.

I actually prefer seeing more actual Satellites, Sport Satellites, Coronets, etc. than clones.

WileERobby you are one of those purists; nothing but the real deal for you! lol

In this culture a name is related to money. It makes no difference what is done to it a fake is still a fake. Go ahead make all the improvements you want. The name change will not make it preform any better. My question why is the badge reclassification necessary unless there is intent to decieve or swindle?

I think the word clone is thrown around a lot. Tribute is another vague deal.
To me a clone you wouldn't be able to tell from a real car aside from the VIN. All the right stuff is there: torque boxes, HD suspension, the right engine, the interior options and badging - everything is there but the VIN.
A tribute car will share some visual cues, but it's pretty easy to tell it's not a clone or real. Emblems or decals, or a few performance options do not make a clone to me.
If one is not familiar enough to tell what should be present (or what shouldn't) and thinks because the Satellite has a blacked out RR hood and emblems on the exterior it's a clone, one is basing that on ignorance.

I think the word clone is thrown around a lot. Tribute is another vague deal.
To me a clone you wouldn't be able to tell from a real car aside from the VIN. All the right stuff is there: torque boxes, HD suspension, the right engine, the interior options and badging - everything is there but the VIN.
A tribute car will share some visual cues, but it's pretty easy to tell it's not a clone or real. Emblems or decals, or a few performance options do not make a clone to me.
If one is not familiar enough to tell what should be present (or what shouldn't) and thinks because the Satellite has a blacked out RR hood and emblems on the exterior it's a clone, one is basing that on ignorance.
Yes there are a lot of ignorant people in the hobby but why promote it by altered badging?
If you really stop and think about it this is one of the principal reasons Mopar parts are hard to find and expensive.

Personally I'm not into clones. I have a Sport Satellite and it will always be a SS. Could be stock or modified depending on the owners preference. If you want a RR or GTX that bad then go for the money and buy one or restore one better yet. The price difference between a clone and original has to be substantial

I tell you what I've seen enough of over the years... GTO's. I'd rather see a nice original/restored LeMans, Tempest, T-37 anytime. Just my preference.

Yes there are a lot of ignorant people in the hobby but why promote it by altered badging?
If you really stop and think about it this is one of the principal reasons Mopar parts are hard to find and expensive.

So I should build a car the ignorant can safely ID? I build what I want. I don't market them as anything more or less than they are. It's someone else saying "it's a clone" because it has a hood with a scoop, or a stripe down the side, or a high impact color that hurts the market.

The reason things are expensive is lack of production (compared to Chevy and Ford). That's true for OEM, repro, and aftermarket performance stuff. If you have 10% of a million total units produced to recoup your production and distribution costs over, you can price it lower than 10% of 30K of total production. If you think Mopars are bad - try and build a Studebaker.

Auto Transport Service
Back